• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NBA Draft Thread - No Deacons Drafted

Seems redundant to have this and a Doral Moore thread.

The Moore thread is about Moore. This is about the NBA draft. Hopefully, that will overlap... But it doesn't look that way right now.

Last year, we had a thread for John Collins and a thread for the NBA draft. Worked out well.

Not many basketball players get red-shirted and then get drafted. Coming out of HS, DiVencenzo was not a top 100 prospect.

It's a new day!

Bridges from Nova, Hunter from UVA (at some point)... I am sure there are others.

Just a friendly reminder that in the biggest game of his life, Wendell Carter went 3-9 with 2 rebounds. (Granted that was the only Duke game I watched all year)

Just a friendly reminder that in the biggest game of his life, Wendell Carter went 3-9 with 2 rebounds. (Granted that was the only Duke game I watched all year)

I don't really have an opinion here, but that is kind of irrelevant. You can cherry pick terrible last college games from a lot of good NBA players.

In the biggest game of his life, (reigning NBA ROY) Malcolm Brogdon shot 2-14 in a loss to Syracuse in the NCAA tourney.

*Brogdon was the 2nd guy I looked up. I started w/ Ben Simmons before remembering that he didn't play any big games in college at LSU.

Not many basketball players get red-shirted and then get drafted. Coming out of HS, DiVencenzo was not a top 100 prospect.

Well he's coming off one of the all-time great NCAA Championship game performances. The iron isn't going to get any hotter.

Not many players get drafted.

Not many players redshirt.

Not many bad players get drafted.

Not many good players redshirt.

I doubt there is a causal relationship between redshirting and being drafted.

I don't really have an opinion here, but that is kind of irrelevant. You can cherry pick terrible last college games from a lot of good NBA players.

In the biggest game of his life, (reigning NBA ROY) Malcolm Brogdon shot 2-14 in a loss to Syracuse in the NCAA tourney.

*Brogdon was the 2nd guy I looked up. I started w/ Ben Simmons before remembering that he didn't play any big games in college at LSU.

If I remember correctly, his toes point inwards while he runs. That doesn't work, going to be ankle problems. Perhaps a #tooathletic allstar, but not an NBA one.

If I remember correctly, his toes point inwards while he runs. That doesn't work, going to be ankle problems. Bust.

Mine point outward... Especially my right one.

In kindergarten, the first girl I ever professed my love to told me that I walked like a duck.

Three short decades later, I am almost over it.

I also have started to have knee problems in my right knee.

Point being, you are probably correct about Brogdon.

Well he's coming off one of the all-time great NCAA Championship game performances. The iron isn't going to get any hotter.

And he's already 21... He's one of the older guys in all of the mock drafts that I've seen.

Mine point outward... Especially my right one.

In kindergarten, the first girl I ever professed my love to told me that I walked like a duck.

Three short decades later, I am almost over it.

I also have started to have knee problems in my right knee.

Point being, you are probably correct about Brogdon.

I find the most athletic folks are bow legged folks whose toes point outward, like Lebron, Odell Beckham or most any cornerback in the NFL.

De'Andre Hunter coming back to UVA for another season.

Probably wants to play w/ Keyshawn Woods.

That’s good news.

So ESPN has the Hawks taking 3 frontcourt players with their 4 picks. Does that mean anything with regards to Collins? The write up for Jaren Jackson Jr at #4 does say he's the ideal player to pair with JC, but it just seems odd to me to take so many frontcourt players with some young talent already there.

My #takes:

1) I'm Team Luka. Find his game so intriguing; the level of competition he's faced far surpasses the NCAA and the dude like literally just turned 19. I get the point about his "lack of quickness" -- he does seem to have a little bit of a Slow Mo thing going on when he has the ball in his hands (it kind of reminds me when my laptop is running out of memory and I can tell it needs to be restarted because the windows for each open application [e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.] are dragging just] a bit slower than my mouse is moving 'em), to but the way he negotiates the high pick and roll as a ball handler and then being able to find shooters in the corner is incredible. In those respects, he really seems tailor-made for the NBA circa 2018 game and its spread-the-floor, shoot-only-3s-or-shots-at-the-rim, lots-and-lots-of-high-pick-and-roll trends. I personally would consider taking #1 overall notwithstanding the emerging consensus is that Ayton will go #1, which in no way offends me given the at least superficial comparisons with Joel Embiid. If Doncic falls further than #2 someone messed up IMHO.

2) I don't love Bagley but I like him--enough that I think he should (and will) go in the top 5 somewhere. I like Bagley a lot for the modern game; his high lefty release is a thing of beauty (reminds me of Sam Perkins) and he is quite smooth with great mobility for a 6'11 guy. He could be perfect as a stretch 5 just setting up shop for corner 3s or as the screener on high pick and rolls just bombing away. In other words, if he gets drafted by any mildly competent organization that realizes it's 2018 and that a guy with Bagley's height and release should pretty much only take 2-point shots if they're dunks or in transition, I think he'll be fine. On the high end I could see Bagley resembling sort of a discount Chris Bosh (Heat-era), likely being a worse defender, with a shorter wingspan, and probably never the post scorer that Bosh was circa Toronto Raptors.

3) The most fascinating player, though, has to be Trae Young. Right? Like, is he a bootleg version of Steph Curry / Dame Lillard or is he Jimmer Fredette? My personal, totally uninformed $0.02 is that he's far better as a ballhandler and (especially) as a passer than a flame-out like Jimmer; like, Trae Young isn't Steph Curry obviously -- no one is -- but he has a certain slipperiness (apparently that's a real word) and shiftiness with the ball in his hands that vaguely reminds me of Steph, at least as far dribbling in tight spaces and navigating through and around pick and rolls. Really, though, the big question with Trae is just how good of a shooter is he. From the NBA 3-point line, is he a 38% guy, a 41% shooter, or a 35% (or lower) guy?

Back