• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NBA Draft Thread - No Deacons Drafted

Couple of thoughts:

Some of you told me I was insane when I posted mid-season how unimpressed I was with Trevon Duval. He has fallen down the draft recently and if he is smart, he should remove his name and come back to Duke. The only reason he shouldn't is that Coach K is no longer great at improving the draft stock of players by developing talent. Not sure what happen but Grayson Allen says hello.

Anybody who considers drafting Grayson Allen in the 1st round over among others, Donte Divicenzo is an idiot. I have seen in the last week those two names flip and now Divicenzo goes in late 1st round and Allen has dropped down to round 2. I think Divicenzo is a great get anywhere after the 18th pick. If I was Atl, I would have a hard time passing him up. I think he is going to be a 12-year borderline all-star from year 3 to age 35.

I like Zhaire Smith, but I think he has moved too high. It is almost like GMs are trying to out-Spur the Spurs and are over thinking these picks. Yes, Smith is an NBA player, but probably more in the mold of George Hill - an important player in the rotation but never a top 3 player on a team. That makes worth while drafted at about 18 onward, but not in the lottery.

I don't believe in Trae Young.

If there was one player who really scares me, it is Mitchell Robinson. Who was the ex-first round player who eventually was killed when he parked his car on a train track? Possibly masturbating to the end? Mitchell Robinson seems the most likely to end up in some fucked up scenario like that.

Gary Trent has fallen too far down the board and I would take him over Smith. Real good value from 15 on

Jalen Brunson is not an NBA player past the age of 26, do not want. Maybe on my coaching staff but not on the floor.

Moritz Wagner and Caleb Martin are going to be solid NBA players and will be great 2nd round picks.

When was K consistently great at improving a player's draft status? He could maintain their rankings but rarely did he have a guy who entered as #25 or higher and jump up in the draft. Remember the word "rarely" doesn't mean never.

Didn't Dwayne Wade redshirt? I know Damian Lillard did.

Wade was academically ineligible his freshman year. He was an instant star at the Great Alaskan Shootout once he started playing for Marquette.

DiVincenzo improved greatly at Villanova once he got playing time. These rating services aren't that accurate. See, e.g., Harry Giles.

Giles is a unique situation. His injuries destroyed him. Prior to the senior year injury, he was head and shoulders the best player in the country.

Couple of thoughts:

Some of you told me I was insane when I posted mid-season how unimpressed I was with Trevon Duval. He has fallen down the draft recently and if he is smart, he should remove his name and come back to Duke. The only reason he shouldn't is that Coach K is no longer great at improving the draft stock of players by developing talent. Not sure what happen but Grayson Allen says hello.

Anybody who considers drafting Grayson Allen in the 1st round over among others, Donte Divicenzo is an idiot. I have seen in the last week those two names flip and now Divicenzo goes in late 1st round and Allen has dropped down to round 2. I think Divicenzo is a great get anywhere after the 18th pick. If I was Atl, I would have a hard time passing him up. I think he is going to be a 12-year borderline all-star from year 3 to age 35.

I like Zhaire Smith, but I think he has moved too high. It is almost like GMs are trying to out-Spur the Spurs and are over thinking these picks. Yes, Smith is an NBA player, but probably more in the mold of George Hill - an important player in the rotation but never a top 3 player on a team. That makes worth while drafted at about 18 onward, but not in the lottery.

I don't believe in Trae Young.

If there was one player who really scares me, it is Mitchell Robinson. Who was the ex-first round player who eventually was killed when he parked his car on a train track? Possibly masturbating to the end? Mitchell Robinson seems the most likely to end up in some fucked up scenario like that.

Gary Trent has fallen too far down the board and I would take him over Smith. Real good value from 15 on

Jalen Brunson is not an NBA player past the age of 26, do not want. Maybe on my coaching staff but not on the floor.

Moritz Wagner and Caleb Martin are going to be solid NBA players and will be great 2nd round picks.

eddie griffin

Can someone explain the Mo Bamba love? The scouting reports always make him sound like a terrible basketball player with a low motor but he’s really tall and has really long arms

yeah mo bamba does not impress me at all

Can someone explain the Mo Bamba love? The scouting reports always make him sound like a terrible basketball player with a low motor but he’s really tall and has really long arms

yeah mo bamba does not impress me at all

I mean, he has the perfect physical/athletic profile for the C position.

His skill level isn't great, but he has a lot more tools than you would expect for a player like that. He can shoot, for one, and he is a solid screener at this point. Obviously, he has potential on defense and shows a lot of promise in that area already.

His motor is a problem, but his footwork is a bigger problem, as far as I'm concerned. The reason I'm high on him is that he's evidently a really smart guy and so he should be able to learn in the right environment (e.g., Hassan Whiteside, DeAndre Jordan, Rudy Gobert, etc.). On the other hand, if he ends up playing for a crap organization, then his ceiling drops significantly. He would be a nice complement to JC in Atlanta, IMO, even if there's no way in hell they pick him at 3.

Hawks better not screw up Bagley at 3.
Bagley and Collins on the same team would be brutal in terms of spacing and defensively.

Jaren Jackson Jr. Is going to be a much better pro than Bagley. Passing him at 3, especially with Collins already there, would be nearly indefensible.

Bagley and Collins on the same team would be brutal in terms of spacing and defensively.

Jaren Jackson Jr. Is going to be a much better pro than Bagley. Passing him at 3, especially with Collins already there, would be nearly indefensible.
Collins was a very solid rookie, but it's a little soon to start building the team around him. If Bagley is the bpa at 3 the Hawks should take him.

jaybone logic extrapolations never fail to amaze

??? That IS what happened to Eddie Griffin. First, he got into a car accident while masturbating and then died on a train track reportedly doing the same. I know it SEEMS like I made that up, but sadly, did not.

Who was the ex-first round player who eventually was killed when he parked his car on a train track? Possibly masturbating to the end? Mitchell Robinson seems the most likely to end up in some fucked up scenario like that.
??? That IS what happened to Eddie Griffin. First, he got into a car accident while masturbating and then died on a train track reportedly doing the same. I know it SEEMS like I made that up, but sadly, did not.

Eddie Griffin did not park his car on train tracks. He ran into a moving train rather than the train hitting him. But, I do see how changing up the story allowed you to highlight masturbation when it was less relevant otherwise, so kudos on that achievement.

Last edited:

Agree on this. I hope Luka drops to the Hawks somehow, but if not, I take Jackson Jr all day.

What do we think about Trae Young--poor man's Steph or Jimmer part deux?

Jimmer is a god in China.

Trae wasn't as good a FG/3pt shooter as Steph was in college. In his last ten college games, Young was 26-94 on threes. He's not on Steph's level in college.

What do we think about Trae Young--poor man's Steph or Jimmer part deux?

I've got him closer to Jimmer 2.0. He does not (at least as of now) look like an NBA elite shooter.

Back