• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NBA Draft Thread - No Deacons Drafted

DeacsATS

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/04/18/nba-mock-draft-2018-early-entry-deadline-deandre-ayton-marvin-bagley

Posting the SI mock draft because everything on ESPN is Insider right now.

Who is going to be a bust?

Who is going to be a stud?

jaybone is already on the record:
This year, if you have the #2 pick and you DON'T either take Bagley or trade it for comparable value, I think you are making a mistake. I honestly haven't seen enough of Ayton to really have a strong opinion, but those who see him are so sure he's an NBA stud I am not going to argue him going #1, but when a kid comes in with an NBA game and body (think Tatum), and he falls down the board ahead of Euros and various high ceiling / low floor guys, I don't get it. Marvin Bagley essentially dominated games as a college freshman while playing a college game he is less equipped to excel in than the pro game. If you don't take him #2, you are going to look the fool by about game 40 next year.

Last edited:
Bridges (Villanova version) is the guy that everybody is going to say, a year from now, why wasn't he taken higher?

Slightly random guy I'm pretty high on is Gary Trent Jr. Think his ceiling is really really high.

if Spellman stays in, I see him having a nice career

Trae Young's ceiling is low-efficiency scorer on a bad team

Slightly random guy I'm pretty high on is Gary Trent Jr. Think his ceiling is really really high.

I agree.

It's weird to see him as the 5th guy from Duke in most mock drafts. Seems better than Duval (& probably Allen).

I also agree w/ jaybone on Bagley... He gets a lot of criticism, but he pretty much dominated the ACC as a freshman. That is pretty rare.

I'm high on Knox from KY, as well... He's still young relative to most in the draft. Maybe it takes him a year or two, but I think he'll be a very good NBA player.

Bridges won't get past the Sixers at #10 (assuming they stay there) and could go as highly as #7/8.

As I said on the other thread, I think Trae Young is a crapshoot. He could be a star or as easily be a guy who scores points but misses tons of shots and commits tons of TOs.

Ky's G-A has jumped from not being drafted into the lottery. He will be interesting to watch.

Very quietly Wendell Carter, Jr., has jumped as high as #6. I'd love to see the Sixers package #10 and next year's #1 (and maybe even a couple second rounders) to jump up to #5/6 to get him. He'd be an excellent back-up for Embiid and Saric.

If Trier would ever get his head out of his ass, he could be a steal in the second round.

If Jerome Robinson stays in, he could be a good pick in the second round.

Wendell Carter is going to be a good pro. Bridges, too.

i like bagley but ayton is ridiculous

and luka doncic seems much better than euros of the past. i think he could be great. i mean this kid is 19 and just dominating grown men:

I've got some doubts about Bagley. He's terrible defensively. He's a tweener. He's not a great shooter, which compounds his other issues. I think he'll be ok, but I don't see a star.

Have read reports that claim 19 year-old 6-7 SG Luka Doncic is the "top Euro prospect in NBA history"; he can score and is young; lots of puffery leading up to the draft, but if this is true. Wow. Some mocks have him going #2 behind only Ayton.

Had players been allowed to jump from HS, Michael Porter may have been the #1 pick last year; will be interesting to see how much last year's back surgery impacts his value.

Doncic has done more in Europe's best league than anyone I can remember and he's only 18/19 and is a legit 6'7/6'8 SG.

It looks like Porter will only drop to #4-7. At least he's not doing a Giles.

If his bro gets drafted in the first round, I think they will be the first non-twin brothers ever drafted in the first round,

Jalen Brunson will be a solid NBA player for many years and is a steal at #30 IMO.

The Tyus Battle I saw several times is more than capable of playing in the NBA and is a steal in the 2nd round IMO.

Appears to not be the consensus, but I think Wendell Carter will be invisible next season.

Bagley could become a superstar, but I think the worst you'd get is a better version of Dan Roundfield. For about a decade, Roundfield was a double double machine. You have to remember K is a shitty coach for bigs and Bagley (as well as Carter) could have been hurt by K.

Donte DiVencenzo from Villanova announced he is entering the draft. No agent yet.

Bagley could become a superstar, but I think the worst you'd get is a better version of Dan Roundfield. For about a decade, Roundfield was a double double machine. You have to remember K is a shitty coach for bigs and Bagley (as well as Carter) could have been hurt by K.

Dan Roundfield was on the NBA All-defensive first or second team 5 times. That does not sound like Bagley.

That's true, but being away from K, Bagley could learn. But I was more talking about being an All Star from time-to-time and being a solid double/double machine.

People a letting Miles Bridges drop. He should left last year.

Donte DiVencenzo from Villanova announced he is entering the draft. No agent yet.

Not many basketball players get red-shirted and then get drafted. Coming out of HS, DiVencenzo was not a top 100 prospect.

Back