• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Golf Regionals/Womens Championship

Neither Clemson nor GT have any room for error. Clemson's #2 is definitely not counting so the remaining 4 make or break their score. GT has a guy in the house at +1, and a guy playing 18 at +1.

We started on the back, and played the 18th -5 for our counting scores. We had a bogey on #9, which was our 18th.

Guess it makes sense considering the weather, but Old North South looks pretty ragged this year.

Happy for Will but he would have probably been the difference this week and we’d have a title. Hard to believe it’s been over 20 years

Darn, didn't realize it was on ACC network. Did see last GT putt. Good day for Deacons in ref. to hopeful future days.

Heck of a final 9 holes for the Deacs.
Very strong finish.
Momentum continues

Happy for Will but he would have probably been the difference this week and we’d have a title. Hard to believe it’s been over 20 years

I’m loathe to criticize any athlete leaving school early to earn a living playing the sport they love... but Will leaving when he did will never make sense to me.

Yep Will leaving makes no sense...he was given a sponsor’s exemption into the Wyndham Championship prior to leaving and he hasn’t earned one dime since leaving. He could have stayed through the NCAA’s and easily gained the max exemptions for the balance of the year.

On another note both of our golf programs really frustrate me.

I’m loathe to criticize any athlete leaving school early to earn a living playing the sport they love... but Will leaving when he did will never make sense to me.

Its pretty simple really. The relevant rule is that Wake Forest is not allowed to have nice things. Whenever you are trying to understand or predict the actions of Wake players or coaches, simply apply this rule and all will become clear - no matter how illogical.

Yep Will leaving makes no sense...he was given a sponsor’s exemption into the Wyndham Championship prior to leaving and he hasn’t earned one dime since leaving. He could have stayed through the NCAA’s and easily gained the max exemptions for the balance of the year.

On another note both of our golf programs really frustrate me.

He's actually earned 148,740 dimes. Had a couple strong rounds at Pebble in the Pro-Am with Romo. Also didn't understand the decision, though.

I had forgot about his showing at Pebble but still will that $14K do anything fir him by year end? He could have stayed and still will have played in the same number of events by the Fed Ex cut off tournament which is the Wyndham Championship. If he stayed through the NCAA he would have probably been able to get in a couple other tournaments prior to the Wyndham. If he would have made mis through the Web q school I could certainly understand the decision but he missed that by a bunch.

For others on the board who love Wake golf like me I'd love to hear your POV on the state of both our programs. The Women have struggled even with 2 of the best players in college golf though they have had a couple individual ACC champs plus an ACC title in the last 5 years. Duke just won the ACC by 27 shots so they are clearly miles above everyone else. It was just last year when Jennifer Kupcho hd a 2 stroke lead with 2 holes left to win the individual title and had a total meltdown.

On the Men's side its been a 24 year title drought though over the past few years we've had the golf equivalent of at least 2 McDonalds AA on each team.

We have according to Diane and Jerry the best golf practice facility in the country with the latest in technology and named for Arnold Palmer. When you walk in it looks like a golf HOF over the past 50 years to the present. Add to that Old Town CC thats literally on campus and rated in the top 30 classic courses in America and a locker room with photos of almost every golfer who has played at Wake.

I know we all expect more from basketball but for golf I have Duke basketball aspirations. Now the NCAA tournament is a highly watched televised event and it leads to a final 8 format for the national championship. Since this format has started I think Wake has only made it out of the regionals once and didn't make the cut in the nationals.

Am I wrong here...are my expectations too high? I think both the men and women should compete for championships every year.

Back