• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Golf Regionals/Womens Championship

The men's golf team has under-performed its talent for years. That said, WF is a top 20 program and just missed an ACC title by three shots, and it's best player turned pro in the middle of the season. Can see the argument for making a coaching change, but also can see the argument for keeping Haas given the team's performance this year, and the circumstances. Reasonable to think that if Zalatoris had stayed, WF is the ACC Champ.

The women's golf program has had unexpected departures and injuries over the last couple of years which robbed the team of depth, and the #4 and #5 players have kept the Deacs from competing on the highest level of women's golf. Coach Dailey has headed the program forever; can't see WF forcing her out, but she must be nearing 70; so, would guess she will retire soon.

I'm really not advocating a coaching change but wanting us to take advantage of our facilities, history and player history to realize potential on the course and in recruiting. The Haas family is Wake Forest royalty and Diane is highly respected. I would expect that when she leaves Laura Diaz would be next in line and I believe she would get us among the women's elite. I do know that of all the Wake sports golf is the most absent on social media. Neither coach is on Twitter and we're in an age where I believe this is important.

My association with the Wyndham Championship has allowed me to be around a lot of our current and former golfers and to a person they all love SWake Golf and would do anything to see it succeed and be a top 5 team nationally. I agree with Will we win the ACC and would have a good shot at a NCAA title. I believe our current team is ranked #27 and is a lock for the NCAA's while the women are probably on the bubble.

I don t follow recruiting much so does anyone have any insight on our incoming class?

The women are bringing in two very talented European players. They have also been without their number 4 and 5 players this year due to injuries (Antonia Eberhard and Erica Herr). Presumably they will return next year. The women could be really good if there are no defections.

Hey, at the least the Deacs are clinging to a one shot lead over Yale.

Time for the annual "but they should be really good next year" talk.

I don't follow golf recruiting enough to know if we're bringing in top talent throughout the entire lineup or not but it seems like the guys we have don't significantly improve once they're in the program. Guys like Zalatoris, Simpson, and Haas were top guys from the time they stepped foot on campus so to me it seems to come down to a lack of player development.

So far the toughest 5 holes, and 6 of 7 are on the back 9, so hopefully the field will drop back a little bit. Only 1 hole playing under par at this point.

Awful start. Course is playing tough, so if we can play just a few under the rest of the day we should get ourselves back near middle of the pack.

As bad as the start has been, WF is now just 5 shots out of 5th (unlike the women's regional, the top 5 advance to the NCAA Championships), and round 1 is not over; there are 3 rounds. So, a lot of golf to play.

It looks like any extended period of par level golf you play will move you up the leaderboard pretty quickly

Terrible start but this course, especially the back side, appears to be hard as hell. As mentioned above, pars are good scores.

If we play even par from here in and post +10 I'd say we are no worse than 6th at the end of the round.

Yeah over half the teams in front of us are on the back now so hopefully they drop more shots than we do. Getting in at +10 would be fine given where we started and teams like Jacksonville aren't likely to maintain this pace over the course of 54 holes.

Back