• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Golf Regionals/Womens Championship

I don't buy this argument. Men's tennis provides 4.5 scholarships and women's provides 8 scholarships (at least 6 players are needed to field a solid team). Wake men's tennis hired an excellent coach in Tony Bresky, built fantastic facilities, and now we have been the top program in the country the past 2 years - ranked #1 more than any other team with multiple individual and team championships (national and ACC).

so how does WF tennis convince top players to come pay a decent percentage of a $72,000 tab to come to WF? or is other financial aid beyond athletic grants distributed?

so how does WF tennis convince top players to come pay a decent percentage of a $72,000 tab to come to WF? or is other financial aid beyond athletic grants distributed?

Same with soccer - look's like D1 men's soccer gets 9.9 ships. Seems like we always have 20 or so scholarship worthy players on the team.

Wake is expensive enough without over-inflating the cost to attend. Last I checked it was around 63k all in.

Same excuses being made year after year for the golf program. Jerry needs to go if Wellman truly cares about "post season success".

I think it involves a combination of the following: 1) recruiting players that can afford to cover tuition, 2) getting academic financial aid for those that qualify for academic scholarships, 3) using scholarships in creative/flexible ways (starting in January, sitting out the fall season, splitting scholarships, etc.), 4) convincing players that Wake Forest tennis is a sound financial investment compared to trying to make it on the futures/challenger tour (which it probably is, given the court time, weight room, coaching, training, stringing, equipment, etc that the college environment provides). I think this is a formula that can work for all sports, and as others have pointed out, it's also working for Wake men's soccer. In my opinion, the key is having the right coach.

Looks like Clemson, FSU, UVA, Duke and State all have a chance to make the finals. Given the women qualified with even less depth than the men just makes our performance worse. Wake women have performed better over the past 7 years than the men in spite of injuries and player defections.

Hard to believe our last golf ACC championship was by our women’s team. Coach Dailey obviously gets the most out of her players at the right time.

This failure to get out of the regional is on our depth - our #4 and #5 guys are both currently in the bottom 15 golfers in the regional - out of 75. Our #5 hasn't had a score count and won't today unless our #4 has an even crappier day than he does (which he looks to be trying to do).

Will "Doral Moore" Zalatoris says hello...

Looks like Clemson, FSU, UVA, Duke and State all have a chance to make the finals. Given the women qualified with even less depth than the men just makes our performance worse. Wake women have performed better over the past 7 years than the men in spite of injuries and player defections.

Hard to believe our last golf ACC championship was by our women’s team. Coach Dailey obviously gets the most out of her players at the right time.

Hard to believe that WF has won an ACC Championship in EVERY men's sport that it fields a varsity team since WF's last golf championship, except for track.

Last ACC men's title:

Golf 1989
Cross Country 1994
Basketball 1996
Baseball 1999
Football 2006
Soccer 2017
Tennis 2018

Here are the ACC teams that have ACC men's golf titles since WF last:

Duke
Clemson
GT
FSU
UNC
VT (yes, VT)
NC State

Given the WF golf tradition, and the talent that has come through the program in the last 30 years; this is hard to believe.

Hard to believe that WF has won an ACC Championship in EVERY men's sport that it fields a varsity team since WF's last golf championship, except for track.

Last ACC men's title:

Golf 1989
Cross Country 1994
Basketball 1996
Baseball 1999
Football 2006
Soccer 2017
Tennis 2018

Here are the ACC teams that have ACC men's golf titles since WF last:

Duke
Clemson
GT
FSU
UNC
VT (yes, VT)
NC State

Given the WF golf tradition, and the talent that has come through the program in the last 30 years; this is hard to believe.

as stated before, GT has won 16 ACC titles since the last time WF won it; maybe the first 15 were luck, but eventually one has to believe they are on to something...

Pretty mind boggling how we could not fire the head coach responsible for the majority of that failure. Golf is an individual sport, sure, but at some point a change in leadership/direction is 100% needed.

I think it involves a combination of the following: 1) recruiting players that can afford to cover tuition, 2) getting academic financial aid for those that qualify for academic scholarships, 3) using scholarships in creative/flexible ways (starting in January, sitting out the fall season, splitting scholarships, etc.), 4) convincing players that Wake Forest tennis is a sound financial investment compared to trying to make it on the futures/challenger tour (which it probably is, given the court time, weight room, coaching, training, stringing, equipment, etc that the college environment provides). I think this is a formula that can work for all sports, and as others have pointed out, it's also working for Wake men's soccer. In my opinion, the key is having the right coach.

thanks for the reply

#2 can be interpreted in a few ways - if we are making sure we are giving academic scholarships to those who deserve it, that's great

if we are giving academic scholarships to athletes at the expense of more deserving students who don't happen to be athletes, I'm not in favor of that (I'm not saying that's what we are doing; that is what Vandy has been accused of)

"'We had the second-most birdies in the field for the week, but we need to learn to value a par and bogey,' said head coach Jerry Haas."

The end is not the trophy - or something like that. I am pretty sure our crack AD will use this factoid as a reason to extend Haas until 2028.

Disappointing performance given our strong recruiting in recent years. To not have depth is inexcusable. It is time for Haas to be replaced.

It's hard to fathom how you could finish with the second most birdies and still finish 17 strokes out of 5th Place

True,
a contrarian thought would maybe be aggressively going for the flag too much resulting in a number of birdies, but many more bogies and DBs.
Just a thought, I'm very disappointed for the team but game management has to be a individual player focus or coaching instruction to players.
Hard to figure our #1 player going pro early also -- consider being on an NCAA high finishing team and likely high medalist individual possibility, vs a few pro starts. Weigh the two.

Don’t worry. Next year we have another great recruiting class coming in! I think next year is the year we defy all the naysayers and earn a berth in the coveted (30ish team?)nationals! I’m Pumped!

"'We had the second-most birdies in the field for the week, but we need to learn to value a par and bogey,' said head coach Jerry Haas."

The end is not the trophy - or something like that. I am pretty sure our crack AD will use this factoid as a reason to extend Haas until 2028.

It's not like we had 5 freshman playing in their first tourney. If some of these guys don't get how to manage their score at this point in their career, then it sounds like they aren't getting very good coaching.

Back