Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 200

Thread: NCAA Golf Regionals/Womens Championship

  1. #101
    Some of them are frustrated. They all have invested heavily in our best in the nation golf facility.

    This is the one program at Wake where we have best in class practice facilities, top 100 golf course almost on campus, many championships, history of tour players, major champions, Ryder Cup players and captains plus a few guys in the PGA HOF.

    Makes no sense to me

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    Some of them are frustrated. They all have invested heavily in our best in the nation golf facility.

    This is the one program at Wake where we have best in class practice facilities, top 100 golf course almost on campus, many championships, history of tour players, major champions, Ryder Cup players and captains plus a few guys in the PGA HOF.

    Makes no sense to me
    In other words, our expectations for golf should be like Alabama's expectations football

  3. #103
    It should certainly be better than going 10 consecutive years without finishing in the top 20 of the national championship

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    It should certainly be better than going 10 consecutive years without finishing in the top 20 of the national championship
    Or zero ACC Championships in decades. No doubt that the program has performed below expectations and talent (even taking into account that golf is a game where results are slightly more random than most other sports).

    FWIW, WF appears to be making a slight early move: WF is chasing Texas Tech (currently 7 shots back); WF has made up 3 shots, but WF is playing the "easier" 9 first while Texas Tech is playing the tougher back 9.
    Last edited by Pilchard; 05-16-2018 at 10:03 AM.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekin View Post
    In other words, our expectations for golf should be like Alabama's expectations football
    Unless the NCAA allows you to provide 12 or so full scholarships in golf, then that is an apples to oranges to comparison. However, the expectations certainly should be higher than mediocrity. If we are even that these days.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Boy View Post
    Unless the NCAA allows you to provide 12 or so full scholarships in golf, then that is an apples to oranges to comparison. However, the expectations certainly should be higher than mediocrity. If we are even that these days.
    Exactly. You get 4.5 scholarships for golf. Impossible to compete with teams like GT, Clemson, UVA (not to mention Alabama, UGA, Illinois, etc) when Wake costs what Wake costs and you only have 4.5 scholarships.

    Unless we start handing out academic scholarships for guys who can hit 300 yard drives (like Vandy does for 100mph fastballs), we can't expect to be *elite.* But, I agree with you that we can and should expect to be better than we are.

    https://student-athleteshowcase.com/...Allotments.pdf

  7. #107
    Vanderbilt made the semis last year.

  8. #108
    Duke, Northwestern, Vandy, Stanford, TCU and Baylor are all private schools that are playing by the same rules at WF, and all 6 are in position to qualify for the NCAA Championships this year. Stanford and Vandy have been particularly successful in recent years. Not buying the 4.5 scholarship limitation excuse for WF. There aren't many top golf recruits that use scholarship money as the primary reason for choosing a school; there's probably no pool of recruits in any sport where the cost of attending college is a more irrelevant consideration. It's not as if WF has been unable to recruit on a top 10 level. WF has just not played at a top 10 level.
    Last edited by Pilchard; 05-16-2018 at 11:22 AM.

  9. #109
    team is going the wrong way and will not qualify for nationals; however as of this second McBride is sitting as the #2 individual not on a qualifying team and would advance if he can hold it together

  10. #110
    This failure to get out of the regional is on our depth - our #4 and #5 guys are both currently in the bottom 15 golfers in the regional - out of 75. Our #5 hasn't had a score count and won't today unless our #4 has an even crappier day than he does (which he looks to be trying to do).

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Duke, Northwestern, Vandy, Stanford, TCU and Baylor are all private schools that are playing by the same rules at WF, and all 6 are in position to qualify for the NCAA Championships this year. Stanford and Vandy have been particularly successful in recent years. Not buying the 4.5 scholarship limitation excuse for WF. There aren't many top golf recruits that use scholarship money as the primary reason for choosing a school; there's probably no pool of recruits in any sport where the cost of attending college is a more irrelevant consideration. It's not as if WF has been unable to recruit on a top 10 level. WF has just not played at a top 10 level.
    I don't know that anyone is arguing that Wake shouldn't be at least on the same level, if not better than those schools. However, the occasional "we should be as dominant as we were in the 70s" proclamation is a bit na´ve. The fact of the matter is that a school like Georgia or Florida has an advantage over Wake in that they can save a family over $100K over four years, if both offer a half scholarship. Plus, if you're a kid that would prefer to spend as much time playing/practicing/partying, then a school like that is going to be a more desirable choice. Let me be clear though, only making the NCAA finals one time in ten years and having trouble beating teams like Mich St and Penn St is pathetic.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Duke, Northwestern, Vandy, Stanford, TCU and Baylor are all private schools that are playing by the same rules at WF, and all 6 are in position to qualify for the NCAA Championships this year. Stanford and Vandy have been particularly successful in recent years. Not buying the 4.5 scholarship limitation excuse for WF. There aren't many top golf recruits that use scholarship money as the primary reason for choosing a school; there's probably no pool of recruits in any sport where the cost of attending college is a more irrelevant consideration. It's not as if WF has been unable to recruit on a top 10 level. WF has just not played at a top 10 level.
    I disagree with your statement that they're playing by the same rules, as I alluded to in my post about Vandy and baseball players with academic scholarships.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    Exactly. You get 4.5 scholarships for golf. Impossible to compete with teams like GT, Clemson, UVA (not to mention Alabama, UGA, Illinois, etc) when Wake costs what Wake costs and you only have 4.5 scholarships.

    Unless we start handing out academic scholarships for guys who can hit 300 yard drives (like Vandy does for 100mph fastballs), we can't expect to be *elite.* But, I agree with you that we can and should expect to be better than we are.

    https://student-athleteshowcase.com/...Allotments.pdf
    I don't buy this argument. Men's tennis provides 4.5 scholarships and women's provides 8 scholarships (at least 6 players are needed to field a solid team). Wake men's tennis hired an excellent coach in Tony Bresky, built fantastic facilities, and now we have been the top program in the country the past 2 years - ranked #1 more than any other team with multiple individual and team championships (national and ACC).

  14. #114
    Is there any evidence that wake Isn't handing out financial aid for golf. I know we started doing so for baseball and look at the strength of our recruiting classes. Plus I believe that all recruiting has been good

  15. #115
    That is why Wake needs more scholarship money that is available to support the minor sports. Ships that are based on a "well rounded" HS career that includes both academics and solid extra curricular activities so they can go to light A or solid B students who happen to have spent time effectively hitting golf balls or curve balls.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    I don't buy this argument. Men's tennis provides 4.5 scholarships and women's provides 8 scholarships (at least 6 players are needed to field a solid team). Wake men's tennis hired an excellent coach in Tony Bresky, built fantastic facilities, and now we have been the top program in the country the past 2 years - ranked #1 more than any other team with multiple individual and team championships (national and ACC).
    Men's tennis has been built on international players. Some of them probably have home country funding to play and study in the US. Remember Wake had at least two players take time for Davis Cup play for their home countries.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Men's tennis has been built on international players. Some of them probably have home country funding to play and study in the US. Remember Wake had at least two players take time for Davis Cup play for their home countries.
    Wake men's tennis actually turned the corner when we signed American Noah Rubin. Petros played junior Wimbledon with Noah, and after Noah signed with Wake, Petros began looking into Wake as an option. It all progressed from there - Noah Rubin was the biggest American tennis signing in a couple decades.

    The number of international student athletes is increasing in all NCAA sports, as many Europeans really like the college athletics model and it's not an option in Europe. About 1/3 of all NCAA college tennis players are international.

  18. #118
    #4 Georgia Tech and #9 California will both fail to advance from the Raleigh regional

  19. #119
    http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m...051018aaa.html

    Wake needs to hire this guy. SEC coach of the year and ex-Wake player. And his team is actually going to qualify for the finals.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    Wake men's tennis actually turned the corner when we signed American Noah Rubin. Petros played junior Wimbledon with Noah, and after Noah signed with Wake, Petros began looking into Wake as an option. It all progressed from there - Noah Rubin was the biggest American tennis signing in a couple decades.

    The number of international student athletes is increasing in all NCAA sports, as many Europeans really like the college athletics model and it's not an option in Europe. About 1/3 of all NCAA college tennis players are international.
    Rubin's signing was the turning point but Petros and his team mates are largely international players. Scholarship money may not be as important to them if they can draw on home country support. Coach and facilities may be much more important factors.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •