• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greatest detective writers - Author Raymond Chandler

socaldeac

Reaction score
Anyone read any of his books. Curious to hear the board's perspective of his greatness in the pantheon of American 20 Century writers. He wrote The Long Good Bye, Playback and a number of screenplays. Look forward to anyone's perspective regarding Chandler and others.

Huge Chandler fan. Farewell, My Lovely is my favorite.

I read the Long Goodbye (Chandler) and really enjoyed it. Haven't tried any other Chandler books, yet. I just read Murder on the Orient Express and found it entertaining, though I'm not sure I like Agatha Christie's detective character all that much.

Tried Maltese Falcon (by Dashiell Hammett) and just never hooked me. I've never made it through a Sherlock Holmes book, either.

Most of the Sherlock Holmes stories are only about ten pages each. There are a couple of novellas (e.g. "A Study in Scarlet" and "Hound of the Baskerville"), but the vast majority of them are very short.

Erle Stanley Gardner is another one you might want to give a read. He wrote the original Perry Mason books.

Ross Macdonald, too.

Most of the Sherlock Holmes stories are only about ten pages each. There are a couple of novellas (e.g. "A Study in Scarlet" and "Hound of the Baskerville"), but the vast majority of them are very short.

Yes, most of the Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle are short stories. They were published in monthly magazines originally, then eventually collected into volumes of multiple stories:

His 56 short stories are collected in five books:

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (published 1892)
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (published 1894)
The Return of Sherlock Holmes (published 1905)
His Last Bow (published 1917)
The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (published 1927)

He also wrote the following four Novels:

A Study in Scarlet (published 1887)
The Sign of the Four (published 1890)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (serialised 1901–1902 in The Strand)
The Valley of Fear (serialised 1914–1915)

There are some later longer ones written by others. (e.g. The 10 percent Solution) that are not part of the official canon.

Back