• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Today is Confederate Memorial Day

BirdinBama

Reaction score
Believe it or not, this is a state holiday here in Alabama. Some shit never dies.

June 4 is Jefferson Davis' birthday, also a day off for state employees.

For a while, SC had Confederate Memorial Day off, but not Memorial day (at least I was told-it ended right before I got there).

At some level, I can understand a Lee/Jackson Day or Confederate Memorial day. I think at least some of the reason "the south" is behind a lot of places in the US is the war. But I can also see that some of the "history" is used to browbeat a particular segment of the population or make different statement.

I think maybe a general recognition of the Civil War would be better served at this point.

At some level, I can understand a Lee/Jackson Day or Confederate Memorial day. I think at least some of the reason "the south" is behind a lot of places in the US is the war. But I can also see that some of the "history" is used to browbeat a particular segment of the population or make different statement.

I think maybe a general recognition of the Civil War would be better served at this point.

Why? Do other countries memorialize their traitorous insurrections? Does the UK celebrate July 4?

the closest thing i can think of is Guy Fawkes Day, except that's a celebration of the plot's failure

the closest thing i can think of is Guy Fawkes Day, except that's a celebration of the plot's failure

I would be on board with a confederate Memorial Day where we celebrate how great it is that the traitors failed to tear apart the country so they could own human beings. Is that what folks are interested in? I’m all for a good holiday. We could have piñatas of Davis, Lee, etc.

Who knew there were so many liberal wake forest fans? Quite unfortunate

I love how throughout the South you have Jeff(erson) Davis County/Parrish. They have them in MS, LA, TX, and GA at least. It's the only county name I can think of that has the full name of the person, no Jefferson or Davis County. Gotta go the full name.

Who knew there were so many liberal wake forest fans? Quite unfortunate

Why is it "unfortunate" not to want to celebrate treason against the United States? There is no other way you can describe leaving the U.S. and taking up arms against our nation.

It's the ultimate political hypocrisy for "conservatives" to drape everything in American patriotism but invent excuses to justify celebrating those who took arms against the United States and wanted to keep people in slavery.

Back