• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

The Joe Classic II is on sale today only from Amazon for $840 which is $260 off MSRP. Think I might get that. The bigger one is tempting but I don't know how often I'll need that size.

Looks like Ace Hardware will have the Large BGE for 899.99 with free delivery/assembly and a 100.00 gift card for Black Friday

We got the XL because we anticipated entertaining quite a bit. We will also make whole packs of chicken for the week.

Apple and cherry are my go-tos for everything. I very rarely use hickory and never mesquite.

I’ve started using oak, mostly bc I ran out of other stuff and I have a shitload of seasoned oak firewood. It seems to work pretty well for pork.

I have a medium BGE, which I chose because it’s just the two of us and it’s plenty big for large shoulders and whatever else we do when entertaining, and I figured the size would be more efficient. It easily fits 6-8 burgers/steaks, butterflied chickens, etc. I haven’t done a turkey yet, but that won’t be an issue. The only problem is it’s too small to do the whole briskets.

When smoking a shoulder, hickory is my go to wood. I believe oak is the traditional wood for eastern NC bbq, but that’s only because of availability and price in the area. Hickory is superior IMO. I like apple for ribs and bbq chicken.

Bump for Thanksgiving. I'm going to smoke a turkey on one of the kamados. I might use the following recipe, but am interested in opinions on the type of wood to use. This guy uses pecan, (which I have) but I also have cherry, apple, and hickory.

https://howtobbqright.com/smokeaturkey.html

I wouldn’t use hickory for turkey - it would overpower the meat. I usually use half apple and half cherry.

Thanksgiving smoked turkey...minus a little skin sampling...

4RprLaH.jpg

3eiWOC9.jpg

Smoking a 5lb bone in turkey breast tomorrow for the first time. Any tips on temp and cook time?

Did an 8lb turkey breast for Tgiving. Wife did a Guinness brine. I went w all apple wood in BGE. Used a pan with Guinness and apple juice and same in a spray bottle. Went 300-325 for about 2.5 hours. Pulled it at about 150 then put in a pan and tightly foiled the top before taking it to inlaws. Left it in a pan for about 2 hours before we sliced and served. (M-i-l may have popped back in oven to heat before serving. That’s SOP in her kitchen and I was drinking beer and watching football at that point.).

It was goooood.

Smoking a 5lb bone in turkey breast tomorrow for the first time. Any tips on temp and cook time?

I use a WSM and try to push the heat as high as I can on turkeys - like 325+ range. I cant get the WSM much hotter than that, so it’s like roasting it in the oven, but over smoke. I’ve done it this way several years and been very happy with how the birds turn out.

For a 5lb turkey breast, I would think your cook time is around 1.5-2 hours if you push the temp.

I did a traditional turkey in the oven and also got 3 3lb Butterball turkey breasts in addition to the main bird so I decided to smoke them. I put them in about a 6 hour brine then rubbed them and threw them in the Masterbuilt smoker for 5 hours on 225 (they went in there with a pork shoulder I was finishing for the day). The turkey was moist and delicious.

Smoked a whole chicken yesterday with Buxton Hall rub and apple wood chips. So good. Crisped up the skin in the skillet and had it as an appetizer.

ThermoWorks is doing 20% off any one item. Thinking of picking up the Smoke Remote BBQ thermometer so I can monitor temps from inside.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?color=3

I think they make or sell great stuff...very happy with my thermapen mk4 instant read thermometer.

For some reason I went with this thermopro model for leave-in remote monitoring... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GE77QT0/ref=afx_dp_prime_egress?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh. it’s been great.

I read and agree it seems a good idea to use an instant read thermometer to check several spots to confirm temperature even when using the leave in probes.

Bought a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. Seasoned it and did a batch of wings and thighs tonight. Put them on for 2 hours just be sure. Probably would have been fine with 90 minutes. Crisped them up in the oven.

66267bba34558a463a2d7d7c9d136942.jpg

Oh yeah. My 8 year old is starting to get into wings. He was really excited about the smoker. He had a few flats and told me, "I took the bone apart and sucked on them like a lollipop. It was so good."

It was an impulse buy. I've been talking about it but I finally pulled the trigger. So glad I did. Going to do a turkey on Christmas Day.

I love the chicken I’ve cooked on the BGE, but I’m disappointed by the turkey. Part of it is I like chicken better to begin with, but if I’m feeding a group I think I’d rather just do two chickens. I also think I do a pretty awesome bbq chicken.

Back