• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Texas bbq pork belly burnt ends on the left. Peach habenero pork belly burnt ends on the right.
a1f6d9e4e5e1e11fad829c0dba0fe604.jpg

I’ve been in a stall for almost 4 hours on a pork butt.

Also did 2 Turkey breasts so the kids were able to eat. I don’t think I’ve smoked anything in probably nine months.

Fortunately, this meat was being smoked for the week and to clear up freezer space so it’s not like a bunch of people are waiting on me.

Fortunately, this meat was being smoked for the week and to clear up freezer space so it’s not like a bunch of people are waiting on me.
It was great to know exactly how long something would take, especially when cooking for a tailgate or when we used to cater.

First big smoke I did on the pellet was butts for NYE, and damn if I almost didn't get them finished before pickup time.

If I start early enough I’m usually patient enough to grind through the stalling but sometimes if they’re stuck around 180 I just wrap and put them in the oven at like 325 for an hour to get them shreddable. No big deal.

I am starting my pork butts at midnight the night before now and if they finish before we eat, I just wrap them and throw it in a cooler. Smoked a pair of tri-tips tonight. Giving myself some great lunches for the work week.

I am starting my pork butts at midnight the night before now and if they finish before we eat, I just wrap them and throw it in a cooler. Smoked a pair of tri-tips tonight. Giving myself some great lunches for the work week.
Full smoke, or reverse sear? RS is my go to for tri-tip, but its not always easy to find in NC.

Saw a video where someone advocated pulling pork early (195F) and as long of a rest as you want in the oven at 170F.

Saw a video where someone advocated pulling pork early (195F) and as long of a rest as you want in the oven at 170F.

Never tried it. I pull mine at 202 and try to rest in a cooler wrapped in towels and butcher paper for 3-4 hours.

I really think at this point the resting process is more important than the cook itself

Kinda hate to admit it but I grabbed a medium-sized brisket and followed the Kenji guide to sous vide it then smoke it. 36 hour sous vide at 155, then smoked it for 3 hours at 275 the day we were eating it. Nothing but salt and pepper for the rub.

I was honestly shocked by how good it was. Actually just got back from Austin and it was just as good as one of the elite briskets we had there (not Franklin's, but still). Had friends over that also couldn't stop eating it and raving about how good it was. I'd done 3 previous briskets smoked the whole way, couple variations (temp, crutch, wrap/rest after, etc), 2 were good one was great. This one was objectively better than all 3 despite the drastically reduced effort.

That looks too good to be true. I screwed up brisket so bad the first time I did it I haven't tried again. I have done some fantastic smoked corned beef though.

That looks too good to be true. I screwed up brisket so bad the first time I did it I haven't tried again. I have done some fantastic corned beef though.

Same-ish here. I love doing pastrami on the smoker with flats but trying to cook it as a regular brisket hasn’t worked well enough to try again.

I know it can be done, but how did y'all screw up your brisket? My first one came out amazing. I also had to wake up in the middle of the night to st... multiple times.

Kinda hate to admit it but I grabbed a medium-sized brisket and followed the Kenji guide to sous vide it then smoke it. 36 hour sous vide at 155, then smoked it for 3 hours at 275 the day we were eating it. Nothing but salt and pepper for the rub.

Did you rub after or before you sous vide. If it was after, did you cook in the factory packaging?

Back