• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

I've done one brisket and I know it could have been better because I pulled it earlier than it needed to. I had hoped it'd be done at like 4:30 or 5:00 and have a long rest, but at 6:30 it was still not quite to temp, but I said fuck it and pulled it and rested for 30 minutes because my guests were getting anxious. Flavor was good and it wasn't tough but not as succulent as it could've been.

Might try the sous vide method to at least get a win.

I know it can be done, but how did y'all screw up your brisket? My first one came out amazing. I also had to wake up in the middle of the night to st... multiple times.

This was years ago, but all I could get was a flat so it came out dry. Just overall not worth the time/effort since pork is way simpler and a near guaranteed success. Plus my kids will eat pork and I’d doubt they’ll do brisket.

Heavy salt and pepper pre-sous vide, then another quick hit with salt and pepper before smoking it.

Took it from the sous vide to the fridge to cool Saturday night, then finished it Sunday. Not going to lie - when I pulled it from the fridge and patted it dry, the meat was stiff, cold, bags had a lot of liquid in them... Was so convinced it would suck that I felt compelled to snag some backup sausage in case it was dry and shitty.

After dinner everyone was hovering over the cutting board snagging bite after bite of different sections to compare them. It was legit. Even if it was sacrilege...

Do you need to put it in the fridge before smoking it? I'd probably start a sous vide Friday night, take it off Sunday afternoon, and smoke around halftime of the 1:00 games.

This was years ago, but all I could get was a flat so it came out dry. Just overall not worth the time/effort since pork is way simpler and a near guaranteed success. Plus my kids will eat pork and I’d doubt they’ll do brisket.

I heard smoking a flat only is nearly impossible because it dries out before it gets tender.

Can't ruin pork shoulders!

I heard smoking a flat only is nearly impossible because it dries out before it gets tender.

I bought my brisket at Sam's Club, and all they had were either giant packers or flats. How common is it to just get a point? I suppose I could ask a local butcher shop.

Yeah exactly so I don’t bother. They make killer pastrami though - good enough

Kenji says to cool it down, think you can ice-bath it. I assume so you can get the most smoke into it without cooking it much/any more. Plus you need to dry the surface to get the right bark.

You can keep it in the fridge for a few days though. Definitely a huge help if you’re planning to serve it to folks to have a guaranteed 3 hour cook time. I also had a really long stall once with a previous brisket and we ate at like 9:30pm instead of 7. Kinda sucked.

I bought my brisket at Sam's Club, and all they had were either giant packers or flats. How common is it to just get a point? I suppose I could ask a local butcher shop.

No clue. I see flats at Publix or packers at Costco or the wholesaler.

Kenji says to cool it down, think you can ice-bath it. I assume so you can get the most smoke into it without cooking it much/any more. Plus you need to dry the surface to get the right bark.

You can keep it in the fridge for a few days though. Definitely a huge help if you’re planning to serve it to folks to have a guaranteed 3 hour cook time. I also had a really long stall once with a previous brisket and we ate at like 9:30pm instead of 7. Kinda sucked.

Now I really excited to go to the store and buy some brisket.

The stall killed my first and only brisket. Wanted to eat at 6 and ended up wrapping it up and serving it the next day. It was really dry. Should have cut it up and steamed it and added it to a hash for breakfast.

My wife picked up a flat at Publix and it was almost as expensive as a full brisket at Costco! I'm going to try and sous vide it and then smoke it.

I need your help.

I want to make good chicken wings on my Traeger.

I tried this weekend and it was a disaster.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were in FL on vacation with the family and we got some wings at a place called Blue Mabel. They were amazing. Menu (https://www.bluemabel.com/menu-dine-in.html) called them "Crispy Jumbo Smoked Wings - Buffalo Dry Rub". They were dry/crispy on the outside with great buffalo wing flavor. I fancy myself as a person who can cook/smoke/grill in as much as I can follow directions well and not fuck things up. Well, I spent a week gathering recipes and figuring out what sounded best for my attempt at this. Here are some details:
  • I bought "Party Wings" at Costco... Took between 2-3lbs out of the bigger bag and froze the rest.
  • I brined them on Saturday night with coarse kosher salt and a random IPA
  • Sunday, I took them out of the brine and dried them thoroughly
  • I put them in a bowl and added Frank's Red Hot seasoning (2tbsp) and baking powder (2tbsp)
  • I smoked them on my Traeger at 225 until they hit 160 degrees
  • I took them off, cranked the grill up to 375, and put them back on until they hit 175 degrees (only took like 10-15 minutes and I flipped them in the middle)

The meat itself was good. Tender and moist. The biggest issue was the skin was still very chewy and gross. The wings were plenty "dry"... Just not "crispy" at all.

What did I do wrong? Also, is there a specific dry buffalo rub that anyone uses and likes?

I need to redeem myself this weekend.

Thanks!

I need your help.

I want to make good chicken wings on my Traeger.

I tried this weekend and it was a disaster.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were in FL on vacation with the family and we got some wings at a place called Blue Mabel. They were amazing. Menu (https://www.bluemabel.com/menu-dine-in.html) called them "Crispy Jumbo Smoked Wings - Buffalo Dry Rub". They were dry/crispy on the outside with great buffalo wing flavor. I fancy myself as a person who can cook/smoke/grill in as much as I can follow directions well and not fuck things up. Well, I spent a week gathering recipes and figuring out what sounded best for my attempt at this. Here are some details:
  • I bought "Party Wings" at Costco... Took between 2-3lbs out of the bigger bag and froze the rest.
  • I brined them on Saturday night with coarse kosher salt and a random IPA
  • Sunday, I took them out of the brine and dried them thoroughly
  • I put them in a bowl and added Frank's Red Hot seasoning (2tbsp) and baking powder (2tbsp)
  • I smoked them on my Traeger at 225 until they hit 160 degrees
  • I took them off, cranked the grill up to 375, and put them back on until they hit 175 degrees (only took like 10-15 minutes and I flipped them in the middle)

The meat itself was good. Tender and moist. The biggest issue was the skin was still very chewy and gross. The wings were plenty "dry"... Just not "crispy" at all.

What did I do wrong? Also, is there a specific dry buffalo rub that anyone uses and likes?

I need to redeem myself this weekend.

Thanks!

Were the restaurant wings smoked then fried? That's hard to replicate at home on the grill - I'd try cranking the heat higher when moving to the grill to finish the wings.

Were the restaurant wings smoked then fried? That's hard to replicate at home on the grill - I'd try cranking the heat higher when moving to the grill to finish the wings.

I wish I knew.

I assume there was some sort of dark magic involved, tbh.

yeah they were most likely fried or grilled after. you need high heat to crisp the skin.

Agreed. I've seen some recipes that say put the wings in the broiler for 5-10 minutes after smoking but they don't get them crispy.

Agreed. I've seen some recipes that say put the wings in the broiler for 5-10 minutes after smoking but they don't get them crispy.

I thought the baking powder was supposed to help with this. All it did was make the wings taste like baking powder.

I throw all the chicken I smoke in the broiler for a couple minutes to crisp it up. I think it is a must. Smokers can't get it done alone.

I thought the baking powder was supposed to help with this. All it did was make the wings taste like baking powder.

Yep. I did the same thing and got the same result.

Back