• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

I'm going to smoke a single rack of ribs tomorrow on my new Brinkmann electric smoker. How long? Any suggestions?

I always like to dry rub first. If you sauce wait until the last 30-45 minutes. Otherwise you end up just wasting sauce.

I usually smoke mine 3.5 hours. After the first 2.5 hours, check on them every so often. When the meat has pulled back on the bone 1/4" to 1/2" they're ready. Make sure you remove the membrane.

I usually do anywhere between 3 and 4 hours depending on the meat and how many beers I have had.

This is just a personal preference but I like to cut my racks up into smaller racks of 3 to 4 ribs or so. I am a big fan of the "end rib" and this gives you more of them. Plus if you do a dry rub and a sauce you can leave some just plane with the rub and sauce a few of them to try different things.

SO I forgot to take pictures.

Turkey came out amazing. I smoked it for around 11 hours at bout 225 and then it was getting a little late and cranked the heat up in the BGE to about 350 to finish it off, which probably dried it out a little bit but not too much the dark meat was still incredibly moist and the white meat wasnt bad at all (I did smoke breast side down for the first 10 hours). I used apple wood chips which I thought worked great.

I will be enjoying turkey sandwiches all week

Smoked Asian Short Ribs:

30bgu8l.jpg

I finished shortening my firebox from 28" high to 19" today. Got it welded back, then slapped on a new coat of paint on it and the smoker.

I emailed my crew and let them know we'd be doing pork BBQ next weekend. Haven't decided if I am going with Boston Butts or full shoulders.

I hate to admit this, but it'll be my first smoke in some time.

I finished shortening my firebox from 28" high to 19" today. Got it welded back, then slapped on a new coat of paint on it and the smoker.

I emailed my crew and let them know we'd be doing pork BBQ next weekend. Haven't decided if I am going with Boston Butts or full shoulders.

I hate to admit this, but it'll be my first smoke in some time.

Since the ribfest?

Assuming that I get my safety deposit back from my apartment this week, I'll be picking up a smoker, and hopefully going for the maiden voyage on Saturday. Not sure if I'm going to go with the offset firebox or the vertical smoker. There were some pretty damn cheap smokers the last time I checked.

Since the ribfest?

Speaking of RibFest, I wonder if next year's location is an open question, given the facebook post a while back

:couch: Since Fathers Day. I hope I remember how things work. How early are you coming out Saturday?

I don't think they'll move it back downtown. It was so cramped there, they wouldn't have room for the amateur division, and the parking situation was horrendous.

Saturday's arrival depends on TeacherFianceeDeac's energy level and Friday bedtime, just like last year. Unless she'd be down with catching a ride with our neighbors, wakephan09 and NoVa. Then I could leave whenever. Hmmmm...

Mrstsy is coming later with friends. It'll be myself, Joel, and Chris coming early. Depending on the numbers, I may just do butts rather than shoulders. It's 4-6 hrs cd 8 hrs. If I do butts though, guaranteed I'm shitfaced by kickoff

Drew ccoked some good looking spare ribs this afternoon. I'm trying to goad him into posting pics.

Trader Joe's ribs. Surprisingly good and the rack was only $7.

fvaau1.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of Saturday I have Orange Lot pass again this year, so will be setting up in our usual location. As usual, once I am good and drunk, I will meander to the grassy knoll to chat it up for a while. Can't wait to see everyone. Aside from tailgates, I have zero contact with Wake people in person in recent years.

Does anybody have any good suggestions for how to get started? I'm thinking that I just want to try and do a couple of Boston Butts on Saturday.

Boston butts are great to start with. So much flexibility, and theyre not terribly difficult to do.

WRT you earlier question on offset vs vertical I'd go with vertical. Unless it's a reverse flow, offset smokers are the same amount of work as a horzontal but at a higher price. Temps are a good 15-20 degrees warmer at the firebox end, so you have to keep rotating the object you are smoking.

Looking forward to seeing you again this weekend drew. Are you brinking the smoker to any of the tailgates?

That one is electric so probably could run off my inverter. I also have a barrel smoker and my portable gas grill. I'll probably rotate them.

Back