• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Looks like I'm going to take my smoker to my buddy's place for the UF-Bama Tailgate and doing two butts again. Hopefully, with a new air hole, lump charcoal, and a thermometer I should be good to go.

I ordered a digital probe off of Amazon today (I really love my free Prime membership), and I'm wondering if anybody sees any issue with leaving it in the entire time and having the wire slip under the smoker lid. There is already a bit of a gap there.

Not a problem at all. If you're really concerned about it, drill a small hole large enough to run the probe through. That is what I did on mine.

CAV I GOT YOU.

Step 1: buy and assemble the bottom of a Weber smokey joe.

Step 2: buy three bricks

Step 3: Unscrew your brinkman's legs

Step 4: Screw them back on inside-out. The legs should be outside of the smoker chamber. The brinkman will now sit on the bricks to match the WSJ's height.

This set-up will let you control the airflow into the chamber and also let you just pick the smoker chamber up off the lit coals so you can dump new coals straight in. You'll get a ton more control over the fire.

CAV I GOT YOU.

Step 1: buy and assemble the bottom of a Weber smokey joe.

Step 2: buy three bricks

Step 3: Unscrew your brinkman's legs

Step 4: Screw them back on inside-out. The legs should be outside of the smoker chamber. The brinkman will now sit on the bricks to match the WSJ's height.

This set-up will let you control the airflow into the chamber and also let you just pick the smoker chamber up off the lit coals so you can dump new coals straight in. You'll get a ton more control over the fire.

Awesome. Thanks. I might wait until after this weekend to try this out. I get paid next Friday.

Also, hold on to the original charcoal pan once you do that mod. It's still good for the direct grilling set up and throwing the WSJ coal grate in the bottom of the original charcoal pan helps get more heat there, too.

I think I mentioned earlier, but I smoked 4 3-bone short ribs this AM. First time doing the 3 bone strips, since usually you can only find the 1-bone squares at a normal grocery or even WF. The bigger cuts handled the hickory smoke better, and I cut them into individual squares when I pulled them off. Served with a truffle potato gratin and grilled nectarines with feta.

Sry for the low-rez pics, rly need a better phone.

ifx3lv.jpg

dc32w5.jpg

Woot, just got back from getting two bundles of hardwood slabs. These should last me a year or so. I was very lucky, and got the last two he had. I came incredibly close to having to find a other connection.

This may be more grilling related, but has anyone had success grilling ABT's? Typically I smoke them, but won't have my cooker with me this weekend. I plan on using a Weber Q, and was wondering if I could cook them in a small aluminum pan to prevent the bacon from scorching on the grill? The challenge with the Weber Q is the griddle is inches above the flame, which is great for searing, but not so much for greasy foods. Is this an idea even worth undertaking? The other option would be to buy a slotted gadget that holds the ABT's upright, but my fear is the cheese will ooze out and get very messy. Plus there is no advantage to cooking indirectly without smoke.

This may be more grilling related, but has anyone had success grilling ABT's? Typically I smoke them, but won't have my cooker with me this weekend. I plan on using a Weber Q, and was wondering if I could cook them in a small aluminum pan to prevent the bacon from scorching on the grill? The challenge with the Weber Q is the griddle is inches above the flame, which is great for searing, but not so much for greasy foods. Is this an idea even worth undertaking? The other option would be to buy a slotted gadget that holds the ABT's upright, but my fear is the cheese will ooze out and get very messy. Plus there is no advantage to cooking indirectly without smoke.

We tried that once and had horrible results. We just threw them in a pan, and when the grease rendered the ABT's just sat in it and got soggy and fell apart. If you had a way to put a small grate inside of the pan, that would help tremendously. You wouldnt need much, just something to keep them off the pan.

I'm a n00b so pardon a dumb question, but wtf are "ABT's"?

Atomic Buffalo Turds aka bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos

OH!

I've never heard them called that before...I grilled bacon wrapped jalapenos stuffed with Pimento cheese on Sunday. The bacon grease had the coals flaring, but it really wasn't too big of an issue for me as I was actively tending them.

I "cored" the peppers and removed the seeds keeping the body of the pepper whole. Once the seeds were removed and the cheese was stuffed in, I wrapped the bacon over the open top and then back on itself around the pepper and secured it all with a toothpick. This worked OK...I didn't really lose any cheese, but the bacon didn't hold on one of the peppers I grilled. And the presentation was a little sloppy. The Mrs suggested next time to cut them a little bit below the top, leave the stem on, and try to stuff the top back on once they are filled with cheese.

We boat our peppers, or cut them out like a canoe lengthwise from the tip to the stem. We cook them on their side and it makes accessing the core much easier. See the picture below.

24.jpg

Also, you need to invest in a chili twister. They're great no matter which method you use to core the peppers and saves you from cutting yourself or the pepper with a knife.

chili-twisters.jpg

We boat our peppers, or cut them out like a canoe lengthwise from the tip to the stem. We cook them on their side and it makes accessing the core much easier. See the picture below.

24.jpg

Also, you need to invest in a chili twister. They're great no matter which method you use to core the peppers and saves you from cutting yourself or the pepper with a knife.

chili-twisters.jpg

Aaaahh, "boating" the peppers...I like that.

We started doing it that way because I didnt have a way to stand them up, and like you I was having issues with the bacon holding it all in. Its time consuming, more so that the decapitation method, but boating works for us. You just have to remember which side you cut once you wrap it with bacon and place it that side up. We help hold ours together with toothpics.

Back