• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

My brothers girlfriend use to slice open sweet peppers and stuff them with goat cheese and bake them in the oven. Le increible.

Harris Teeter (in the Triangle) has all their summer grill accoutrements on clearance. Picked up a $10.00 sop mop for $2.75.

Found this on one site:

"Generally speaking any maple used in syrup production can be use to smoke with. They are Sugar Maple(aka Hard or Rock Maple), Black Maple, Silver Maple and Red Maple."

I've never used maple, but I'd imagine it would impart a nice tasty flavor. I've never heard of black maple though. :noidea:

I've never used maple, but I'd imagine it would impart a nice tasty flavor. I've never heard of black maple though. :noidea:

I've only ever used sugar maple. It's awesome. My neighbors are having a tree taken down. Gotta find out the variety of maple, I guess

I'll be heading to the Carolinas this weekend and will be smoking my first pork butt ever. I'm going to have to read back through this entire thread to get some ideas on the best way to go about it. But I'm always excited to go to my parents house and fire up this bad boy:

dbfs.gif

The pig has been preordered for this weekend, complete with legs and head. Starting her up Saturday morning predawn. More importantly, I've preordered the 3 kegs that I'll be partaking while cooking said pig on Saturday.

Smoked a 7.5 lb pork butt today. Blend of hickory, oak and mesquite for the wood. It was redonkulous. Wish I had access to a smoker full time.

A couple weekends my neighbor was having a big party so we decided to smoke some food. We set the TV up outside and watched college football for 8-9 hours as we smoked the food.

Anyway we smoked a turkey, a brisket, the bacon explosion, and a bunch of brats. Every thing was great, but the brats were so much better than we expected.

We also roasted some tomatillos that he had been growing and made some salsa. It was a great day.

Sounds good all around.

Smoked a 117lb hog, a brisket point, and 15 turkey legs yesterday. I was worried to death about the brisket having never done one. Since it was just the point, it didnt take too terribly long to cook. Smoked it open for 5 hours, then foiled it for another two. I was worried that it would be too dry, but it was fork flaky and tender. Had quite a few compliments on it.

I used 4 of the Makers Staves while smoking, and while it smelled great, it didn't do much to add flavor. You can really tell a difference on the ribs, but not so much on larger hunks of meat. Going forward, I'll most likely just use them for ribs. I had a lot of friends taking pics yesterday, so hopefully I'll post some later.

I will also say this, I think I've started a revolution at WFU tailgates. There used to be no smokers in the lots, and after I started bringing mine, I'm seeing more and more in the lots. We counted 7 coming in yesterday.

TSY: did i hear you correctly? You used foil??""?

:couch:

I'm not proud of it, but yes I used the crutch. The brisket was an afterthought, and my focus was on the hog. I got the internal temp of the brisket up to 180 and then just foiled it and threw it back on. If I were to do it again and use foil, I'd probably throw some sort of juice in there with the brisket.

Smoking a turkey at the moment. I couldn't find a recipe I was happy with, so I'm ad libing.

Dry brined in fridge for eight hours with what amounts to my customary rub.

Six hours at 225F, in a disposable alum tin with root vegetables. Stuffed with aromatics (homegrown herbs of the culinary strain, garlic and onions), and injected with melted butter/pinot grigio solution).

We'll see.

Split so much wood this week. Can't wait for it to dry out, but I think I might save the "red oak" for fires instead of cooking because I don't know for sure what it is.

Back