• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

That's what's so good about the neighbor's apple tree. It smells like apples. So I have 100% confidence that it is what I think it is. No idea what oak is supposed to smell like.

Red Oak has a distinct smell to it, especially when its freshly cut. White oak to me doesnt have a smell. You can just tell by the texture of the wood and the way it splinters when you split it. I use the oak for just heat, and the hickory for the flavor.

FWDed an email about this to TSY:

http://burgerdoctor.com/bacon-cheese-turtle-burgers.html

wmTurtle06.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may need some help. TSY batsignal goes up...

I'm the pitmaster without a day off today. Smoking one of those Harris Teeter affordable butts, whereupon I rose before the rooster this morning to burn the coals and get the butt on by 0600. Check and check.

Continued to stoke fire for about two hours, but had to leave the smoker to go to the one meeting of the day that I could not reschedule. Should have lasted 2.5 hours, with travel, so I loaded up the firebox beside the smoker with all of my remaining charcoal, and hoped I could hang on until about 11:30 when I planned to be back. (P.S. The wife was home, for those of you concerned about fire safety, but she's not about to live the little ones to re-load the fire. That ain't her thing, but rest assured I didn't leave it completely unattended, even in a closed firebox).

OF COURSE, the meeting went over to almost 1230, so I didn't get back until 1:15, and didn't get burning smoke back on the butt until about 2:00. I assume the fire burned until about 11:30, and then the fire cooled slowly for the next 2.5 hours.

Bottom line: The probe thermometer read an internal temp of 125 F when I got home. I got the fire restarted...but what's "the book" on when meat goes bad?

I may need some help. TSY batsignal goes up...

I'm the pitmaster without a day off today. Smoking one of those Harris Teeter affordable butts, whereupon I rose before the rooster this morning to burn the coals and get the butt on by 0600. Check and check.

Continued to stoke fire for about two hours, but had to leave the smoker to go to the one meeting of the day that I could not reschedule. Should have lasted 2.5 hours, with travel, so I loaded up the firebox beside the smoker with all of my remaining charcoal, and hoped I could hang on until about 11:30 when I planned to be back. (P.S. The wife was home, for those of you concerned about fire safety, but she's not about to live the little ones to re-load the fire. That ain't her thing, but rest assured I didn't leave it completely unattended, even in a closed firebox).

OF COURSE, the meeting went over to almost 1230, so I didn't get back until 1:15, and didn't get burning smoke back on the butt until about 2:00. I assume the fire burned until about 11:30, and then the fire cooled slowly for the next 2.5 hours.

Bottom line: The probe thermometer read an internal temp of 125 F when I got home. I got the fire restarted...but what's "the book" on when meat goes bad?

The danger zone for bacteria is 40F to 140F. It usually hangs out in that temp range for a long time anyways. I usually need 13 hours to finish boston butts in my brinkmann/oven. I've lost the fire while cooking ribs before. Finished the job, ate, and was fine.

What was the temperature internally when you left?

The reason I ask, its possible that your internal temp was roughly the same when you left, and your fire essentially maintained the temperature. In that case, you'd be fine to keep on cooking and get it up to your normal temp.

The reason I ask, its possible that your internal temp was roughly the same when you left, and your fire essentially maintained the temperature. In that case, you'd be fine to keep on cooking and get it up to your normal temp.

I'm pissed at myself for not checking before I left. Temp in the box was 225.

So how did it turn out?

I initiated emergency countermeasures and dropped a beer can chicken in the chamber to serve to my guests. The BCC was, as always, boss.

I read both WAY TO GRILL and HOW TO GRILL and continued to smoke to the higher of their recommended internal temperatures (which, at 195, seemed high to me), but I went that far to be safe.

End result: I didn't serve it to my guests (one was pregnant, and I didn't want to take any chances, nor did I want to explain why I was screening her out; so...more for me) but ate it myself last night after they left. It was flawless with no ill effects. Thanks to all for the inputs.

Good deal. I take mine up to 190 anyways, because I like pulling it moreso than having to chop it.

Going on at noon:
381179_705486841992_44101140_35485314_750992544_n.jpg

About 1/2 way through:
384246_688523356583_7201832_35107913_1966944097_n.jpg

One of the fellow tailgaters brought some wings to throw on the smoker.
389795_705487276122_44101140_35485323_101330377_n.jpg

Just before taking them off:
380363_705487949772_44101140_35485339_247001766_n.jpg

What is left:
316526_705488423822_44101140_35485348_2043253206_n.jpg

Based on the smoke this weekend, brisket may be my new go-to over pork. Rocked the hell out of a brisket. My third attempt, but this one was a game changer rub wise. I've settled in on 2-3 different pulled pork rubs that I can execute well, so it's nice to have something different to work through and develop.

Next on the list: Gonna try to smoke Baltimore style pit beef for the Maryland game and possibly do some hand-cut fries to go along with it. Haven't decided yet whether to go low/slow or bump up the temps. I've read of folks and restaurants doing it both ways. Anyone have any experience with pit beef? My basic understanding is smoked/grilled roast beef, thin sliced, and piled high with raw white onion and fresh horseradish.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/06/maryland-pit-beef-barbecue.html

Last edited:
I enjoyed meeting all of you at your tailgate this past weekend. you people are great hosts with cute kids. Dominus omnis.

Back