• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Yeah, the ET-732 definitely has the low temp alarm, as does my current ET-73. It is great!

Yup. I setup the smoker next to the house near my bedroom, set the alarms, get the temps dialed in for an hour, and then go to sleep while my BBQ smokes away. Gotta love the WSM when it comes to consistent temps.

Yeah, the ET-732 definitely has the low temp alarm, as does my current ET-73. It is great!

Product Features
Monitor internal temperature of meat from 300 feet away; wireless receiver with lcd beeps and flashes when meat temperature goes above your programmed temperature
Monitor barbecue temperature; receiver beeps and flashes if temperature falls above or below your programmed range
Receiver displays barbecue temperature up to 572 farenheit
Count up and Count down timer
Lcd of receiver has back light for use at night

This is such good news.

The past few weeks I've been redoing the BBQ pits at our church. They're 28 feet long and 4 ft wide. We've got a few more things to get done, and then we're cooking pork shoulders for Christmas as a fundraiser. If any of you are in the Triad and would be interested in getting a Christmas shoulder, let me know. We're going to cook a maximum of 100.

oooh boy. I'm freaking pumped. That's like the one weekend in June that isn't an automatic no go. Still will need to convince TeacherFianceeDeac that I'll be responsible enough to get wedding stuff done ahead of time/during the weekdays.

But the entire amateur contest is what, 2-3 hours setting up, and then uh... 16 hours the next day. I can definitely help out with 18 hours-ish worth of stuff during the prior two weeks.

So glad to hear that the King of the Grill contest has become a success and will be on its 3rd year :thumbsup: And to think it was almost held downtown.....

Question about the ham, I am thinking about smoking one for Christmas, do you use a fully cooked ham? I am feel pretty certain you do, but wanted to make sure.

Question about the ham, I am thinking about smoking one for Christmas, do you use a fully cooked ham? I am feel pretty certain you do, but wanted to make sure.

Depends...you "heat" a fully cooked ham or you can cook a ham that hasn't been fully cooked yet. You'll want to cook at a different temp depending on what you buy.

Some good pointers here:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/hamselect.html

"Ready To Eat" vs. "Ready To Cook"

Most hams that you find at the supermarket are already cooked and can be eaten right out of the package. These include fully-cooked hams, spiral-sliced hams and canned hams. Look for the phrase "ready to eat" on the label.

Fresh hams and hams that have only been partially cooked must be fully cooked to 145-150°F internal temperature so that they achieve a final resting temperature of 155-160°F before serving. Look for the phrase "ready to cook" or "cook before eating" on the label. The USDA safe food handling instructions will also be found somewhere on the label of this kind of ham.

Cooking Ham On The Weber Bullet

"Ready to eat" and "ready to cook" city hams are easily prepared using the WSM.

Allow the ham to sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours before cooking.

Trim the fat layer to 1/4" and score the fat into a diamond pattern, cutting 1/4" to 1/2" deep into 1" to 2" squares.

For a "ready to eat" ham, fire the cooker to 225-250°F. Add some water to the water pan to keep the temperature down and put just 2-3 dry chunks of your favorite smoke wood on the coals. Apple, cherry, alder and oak are good choices alone or in combination. Follow the packaging instructions for how to arrange the ham in the cooker (for example, spiral-sliced hams are usually placed with the cut side down on a baking sheet). Heat the ham to an internal temperature of 110-140°F. If desired, apply a glaze toward the end of the process.

For a "ready to cook" ham, fire the cooker to 325°F. Put the foil-lined water pan in place, but leave it dry to keep the temperature up in the cooker. Place 2-3 chunks of dry smoke wood on the coals and cook according to the packaging instructions, usually 10-15 minutes per pound. If desired, apply a glaze during the last hour of cooking. Cook to 145-150°F internal temperature, then allow the ham to rest 15-20 minutes until it reaches a final temperature of 155-160°F.

And I've done this recipe for Christmas in the past:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ham1.html

What racer said. You can quickly heat up a fully cooked ham, or smoke one from raw. The precooked ham will absorb some of the flavor, but not nearly as much as cooking it from raw.

my firend's wife often smokes her food....or doesn't it count if the food is on fire or charred beyond recognition?

my firend's wife often smokes her food....or doesn't it count if the food is on fire or charred beyond recognition?

BarackObamaAwHellNawMacro.jpg

For those who are in the Triad and dont want to have to cook for Christmas, my church is bbqing pork shoulders to be picked up at lunchtime on 12/24/11. Let me know if you're interested.

Back