• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Gearing up for a big weekend coming up. Doing around 20 shoulders and a dozen or so beer can chickens. My favorite part of doing beer can chickens is drinking the 1/2 a beer per chicken.

Gearing up for a big weekend coming up. Doing around 20 shoulders and a dozen or so beer can chickens. My favorite part of doing beer can chickens is drinking the 1/2 a beer per chicken.

Might as well drink the whole beer and just use the can...your guests will still think it's cool and you spend less $$ on wasted beer. :thumbsup:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm

Three things:

1) I've bought my last pork products from a grocery store. It will never happen again. I'm officially hooked on Nahunta. Ribs and a shoulder this past weekend.

2) If we were to establish a Food Smoking Club, I will only participate if it is named "The Rib Ticklers." Please make a note.

3) Had a bizarre heat issue with my side by side smoker. At one point (after the fire had admittedly gotten lower that I should have let it), the chamber temp dropped to 160. Try as I might, I could never get the air temp over 180. I eventually had to bring it inside and finish it in the oven.

Three things:

1) I've bought my last pork products from a grocery store. It will never happen again. I'm officially hooked on Nahunta. Ribs and a shoulder this past weekend.

2) If we were to establish a Food Smoking Club, I will only participate if it is named "The Rib Ticklers." Please make a note.

3) Had a bizarre heat issue with my side by side smoker. At one point (after the fire had admittedly gotten lower that I should have let it), the chamber temp dropped to 160. Try as I might, I could never get the air temp over 180. I eventually had to bring it inside and finish it in the oven.

How was the airflow into the firebox? I've had that issue before, but mostly when the fire pan gets clogged up with ash.

My ham has been curing and will be ready to go tomorrow. I am trying to decide if I want to put some cloves on it and when exactly I would put them on.

Cloves are quite good on ham. I love the little area around them, because they're just bursting with flavor.

Cooked 6 shoulders and 12 beer can chickens yesterday with LK. Doing 10 more shoulders today. They've been on for about 90 minutes now. I've been saving up some apple and pecan to use, and it smells wonderful.

Still drooling from the smoked beef brisket and pork loin dining experience I had at a neighbor's house yesterday. On top of quality grub we also enjoyed this list of world class beers. The host held nothing back.

1. Stone Imperial Russian Stout
2. Founders Breakfast Stout
3. Founders Imperial Stout
4. Founders KBS
5. Hop Notch
6. Founders CBS
7. Stone 2008 Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Last edited:
Still drooling from the smoked beef brisket and pork loin dining experience I had at a neighbor's house yesterday. On top of quality grub we also enjoyed this list of world class beers. The host held nothing back.

1. Stone Imperial Russian Stout
2. Founders Breakfast Stout
3. Founders Imperial Stout
4. Founders KBS
5. Hop Notch
6. Founders CBS
7. Stone 2008 Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Not to hijack the smoking food thread...but I had the Hop Notch IPA for the first time last week and it is easily one of my new favorite beers. If you get a chance try the Imperial Black IPA from the same brewery (Unita).

I've decided to take the smoker off the tailgate trailer, and am going to build a separate trailer that is just a trailer. I've got to get started on this in order for it to be ready by Ribfest 2012.

Not to hijack the smoking food thread...but I had the Hop Notch IPA for the first time last week and it is easily one of my new favorite beers. If you get a chance try the Imperial Black IPA from the same brewery (Unita).

The Hop Notch was a nice intermission between the stouts. The CBS was incredible. I think the story is that it is aged in bourbon barrels for a year and then maple barrels. A top 5 beer in the world easily.

Back to smokin'. I am a pork man myself but the beef brisket is pretty incredible when done right. Throw some Gates on it and it's heavenly.

that was a hell of a ham. After successfully removing the skin, I managed to slice my thumb right at the knuckle scoring the ham before we put it on the smoker. With two hours to go we put on the cloves and with one hour left we added a mustard glaze. Great meal. Can't wait for the sandwich in a couple of hours and the soup from the hambone on Monday.

I got BBQ 25, Serious Barbecue, a Weber cookbook, and a grilling fork with a built-in thermometer for Christmas.

Next year I'm going to ask for a beat-up truck and a Jambo pit and see what happens.

I got BBQ 25, Serious Barbecue, a Weber cookbook, and a grilling fork with a built-in thermometer for Christmas.

Next year I'm going to ask for a beat-up truck and a Jambo pit and see what happens.

BBQ25 is the tits. at this moment i am 2.7 hours into the 3 hour beef rib recipe. I hope it goes well. The other recipes I have tried from the book have been excellent.

Was given the Smoking Gun for Christmas. Excited to try it when I make slow cooker pork shoulder and brisket. Unfortunately where I live I can't have a smoker, but it's definitely on my wish list for one day. I think the gun will do a nice finishing touch.

Got an iGrill remote temp probe from my uncle....has anyone used this before? Basically it's a digital probe that synchs with my iPhone. I wonder what's it's range and does it transmit signal through a house??

Christmas loot:

Some new insulated rubber gloves to replace my nasty old pair:
http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichl...TF8&coliid=I1GFURB3LK38GJ&colid=2UK9MHSVJZSG5

Bear Paws (tsy, you recommended these in the past, right?):
http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Paw-Meat...TF8&coliid=I3U81WRKM0WQBU&colid=2UK9MHSVJZSG5

And a replacement Thermapen for mine that was broken:
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

If you don't have a Thermapen, buy one, now. Best instant read out there. I use it for everything from BBQ to baked chicken. So nice to be able to pull a chicken breast off the grill right when it's done by temp rather than overcooking it a bit to be "sure".

Smoked a 19lb turkey for Christmas. It was awesome. Used Alton Brown's brine recipe and then used cherry wood for the smoke. Top notch.

Back