• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

So bummed about the RibFest. Hoping to smoke something on Saturday though, sort of as a mournful would-have-been practice

They've taken all acknowledgement of the amateur competition down from their website, and I just don't see there being enough space at the new location. The title sponsor of the Amateur Competition the previous two years is t even sponsoring Rinfest this year.

Looks like its time to move forward with the WFU tailgating competition that I was discussing with the AD about.

Im not sure about the spring game cookout. I'd love to, but won't know for sure until the date is formally announced. We are burning down a house on April 14th, which is the rumored date. If that ends up being the date, I won't be able to make it.

The Charlotte Blues, Brews, and BBQ competition still has a Backyard Griller format. It's held right in uptown Charlotte. The only downside is that it falls during football season every year. This year though it falls on the Clemson game weekend (thursday night game), so there are no conflicts:
http://www.charlottebbqandblues.com/competitions/backyard-grillers/

I was planning to do it this year, but just signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon that weekend in DC, so I'll miss it yet again.

I posted the question to Allen on the Ribfest facebook page. Their intent is for the Amateur Group to be a stand alone competition this year. With so many teams last year, I can definitely see it being successful.

The Charlotte Blues, Brews, and BBQ competition still has a Backyard Griller format. It's held right in uptown Charlotte. The only downside is that it falls during football season every year. This year though it falls on the Clemson game weekend (thursday night game), so there are no conflicts:
http://www.charlottebbqandblues.com/competitions/backyard-grillers/

I was planning to do it this year, but just signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon that weekend in DC, so I'll miss it yet again.

I used to compete in BBB a few years ago....even placed my ribs one year....but when they moved the Backyard division from the park near BOA stadium to downtown Tryon St in 2008 I believe....no mas. It turned into an all night party and freak show, as you have to deal with some of Charlotte's finest walking Tryon late at night (if you have a street front spot). Hell the spot is next to a martini bar! I haven't checked lately, but the entry fee was $50/meat and all of the meat was supplied by Smithfield.

I'm glad they switched dated to later in the year, b/c it always conflicted with our UGA game, which I don't like to miss.

I used to compete in BBB a few years ago....even placed my ribs one year....but when they moved the Backyard division from the park near BOA stadium to downtown Tryon St in 2008 I believe....no mas. It turned into an all night party and freak show, as you have to deal with some of Charlotte's finest walking Tryon late at night (if you have a street front spot). Hell the spot is next to a martini bar! I haven't checked lately, but the entry fee was $50/meat and all of the meat was supplied by Smithfield.

What part of that is bad? :D

What part of that is bad? :D

The part where the crackheads wander into your camp at 3am looking for food and alcohol.

Seriously, we had a gentleman we will call 'Smokey' ask us if we were cooking catfish. What was formerly a 'private event' on grass became a public spectacle on asphalt. On Saturday morning my camp as well as many others looked line the Haven of Rest with a handout line. That's what pissed me off the most....the bums thought we were there to feed them, and if we didn't give them some pork they would talk $hit. It didn't help matters that some of the younger teams stayed up drinking all night and thought it was funny to play drinking games with a few of these street wanderers.

BBB had a classier, more family friendly amateur format when it was not located on Tryon.

Fair enough. Sounds like a good time to me. One of the few reasons I would participate would be to stay up most of the night drinking and BBQ'ing. I suspect they've improved the process after the first year of the move though. I wouldn't be surprised to see some security stationed if that happened during the first event after the move. The event has always seemed really well run when I've been able to drop by for a bit.

Picked up a 3 sink stainless steel sink for free this past week. I'm slowly starting to piece together the parts for my future catering trailer.

At the risk of sacrilege, any thoughts on using a rauchbier to impart a smoky flavor to a barbecue sauce as a healthy liquid smoke alternative?

Have a small five pound pork butt on the the smoker since 7am this morning. Have a few people coming over to watch basketball this afternoon. Should be a glorious day.

Hoping to pick up a WSM this year. Do you guys know if there is any precedent for the WSM to go on sale at Lowes/Amazon/Home Depot, etc?

Hoping to pick up a WSM this year. Do you guys know if there is any precedent for the WSM to go on sale at Lowes/Amazon/Home Depot, etc?

Not that I've ever seen. But you can find them barely used on Craigslist if patient.

I've sent out a few PMs to some of you, but according to the Ribfest Facebook page, there will be an amateur competition this year separate from the actual Ribfest. IMO the standalone amateur competition is destined to fail. Part of the allure was being a part of Ribfest, and now that'll be gone.

I finally got around to ordering a couple Maverick ET 732s this morning. Should be here by the weekend!

Decided to do a pork butt today.... Did not check hte weather. Its supposed to rain and I jut put the shoulder on the smoker. Am i totally screwed?

I just ordered a huge smoker/braai set in here in Lusaka. So excited to get it and try it out

Decided to do a pork butt today.... Did not check hte weather. Its supposed to rain and I jut put the shoulder on the smoker. Am i totally screwed?
Just now saw this. How'd it turn out? As long as you can keep your temps up, you can cook in all types of weather. The rain will typically cool the smoker down quite a bit initially.

Last summer on my bachelors party, I picked up some Makers Mark Staves at the distillery to use for smoking. They're great for adding flavor to smaller meats like ribs or chicken. Its a nice sweet flavor.

For the bowl game, we went to the Jack Daniels distillery and looked into buying barrels to use for smoking. There, the price ranged from $45 for a half barrel to $90 for a whole barrel, plus shipping home. As tempted as I was, I just bought a few staves for $10 each.

I walked into Lowes the other day, and they're selling 1/2 Jack Daniels barrels for $30 apiece. We picked up a few, one we are going to use as a planter, and the other I'm going to use for smoking. Honestly, you cant beat the price, and its a great way to add some flavor to your smokes.

halves-big.jpg

Back