• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

http://www.twincityribfest.com/Competition.html

Interesting assortment of judges. Should be a good time.

Awesome! I did not know that you won KOTG....congrats! We still need to smoke some ribs if I can ever get my lazy a$$ out there!

On another note, has anyone seen the new Weber sear grates for the 22.5" kettle? Its a 12" cast iron insert into the previous 22.5" SS grate. I'm very tempted to buy one, but its also $55. It sits directly in the middle of the grill.

Have any of you heard of the Primo Smoker? A coworker of mine was going on about it yesterday. Its essentially an oblong BGE but holds more food and is cheaper than the BGE. Until yesterday I dont recall ever hearing about them.
primo-xl-oval-review-by-bret-21292979.jpg

That looks pretty nice, and a wider cooking surface would be great (like an XL BGE). I'd be a little concerned about it being shorter than the BGE in terms of loading up with charcoal for long cooks, but maybe thats not an issue. Kamado Joe is another BGE competitor that is very similar and less expensive.

Have any of you heard of the Primo Smoker? A coworker of mine was going on about it yesterday. Its essentially an oblong BGE but holds more food and is cheaper than the BGE. Until yesterday I dont recall ever hearing about them.
primo-xl-oval-review-by-bret-21292979.jpg

I'm pretty sure they have one of those over at Casual Furniture World in Winston. I've bought Primo grates from them in the past to use for indirect grilling. But I'm not a ceramic cooker guy so I have no frame of reference vs. BGE or Kamado.

On another note, has anyone seen the new Weber sear grates for the 22.5" kettle? Its a 12" cast iron insert into the previous 22.5" SS grate. I'm very tempted to buy one, but its also $55. It sits directly in the middle of the grill.

I've got one. Actually, the $55 option gets you a heavier grade of wire grate plus the cast iron insert. When you don't want to sear your food, there is a wire grate insert that replaces the cast iron insert. You can also buy a wok insert and/or a griddle insert to go where the sear grate goes, though I don't have those. So far I have used the sear grate for a few steaks and some pork chops. I want to try and sear some sushi grade tuna steaks soon.

I'm pretty sure they have one of those over at Casual Furniture World in Winston. I've bought Primo grates from them in the past to use for indirect grilling. But I'm not a ceramic cooker guy so I have no frame of reference vs. BGE or Kamado.

I'll have to check them out the next time I swing by there, which seems like a weekly occurrence. He couldnt stop praising the thing. I hope to get either it or a BGE in the 5 year plan. Eventually I'd like to get one of practically every smoking/grilling device for our outdoor kitchen.

Picking up a big ole brisket on Friday for an all day smoke on Saturday. I'm really hoping I can avoid the Texas Crutch, but I'm not sure.

I'm throwing on a brisket for the 4th, but since most of my toys are in storage right now, I'll be using the 22.5" kettle. So I view this as a challenge!! Basically going with a 5 hour high heat cook, then resort to Texas Crutch and other heat retention methods to keep moisture in the beef. Throw it back on before presentation to firm up the bark. Its really the only practical solution I've found for cooking brisket in a charcoal grill. I'd love to go low and slow all day but grill just can't handle it.

My rents just installed this setup at their lakehouse this past week. The project isnt finished yet, but I got to break them in this past weekend.

GE Monogram Propane Grill and BGE. Refrigerator is going on the bay to the left and a granite or concrete countertop still has to be installed. Much better than my setup at the house.

d4364cacb96911e188131231381b5c25_7.jpg

I also smoked two Beer Can Chix with a modified version of APL's Orange Glazed BCC last weekend. For whatever reason APL isnt big on crisping skin, so I cook at a little lower temp at the beginning and then turn it up at the end to crisp the skin when the birds get to about 155-160.

9b15af22b35511e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

Please let your parents know that I offer free housesitting services when they are out of town.

My rents just installed this setup at their lakehouse this past week. The project isnt finished yet, but I got to break them in this past weekend.

GE Monogram Propane Grill and BGE. Refrigerator is going on the bay to the left and a granite or concrete countertop still has to be installed. Much better than my setup at the house.

d4364cacb96911e188131231381b5c25_7.jpg

Yeah, I'm thinking we need to schedule a Pit smoking meat excursion there after its completed. Spend all weekend smoking food and drinking brews by the lake. Sounds like a winner to me.

Did a couple briskets yesterday, which turned out pphenomenal. I'll try to post some pics later. They were two different sizes so I was able to get the internal temps about 20 degrees apart. The smaller one that I got up to 207 was fork tender and the larger one I got to 190 was perfect for slicing.

Back