• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

this recipe/guide I'm looking at is calling for a 5-8 lb brisket serving 4-6....there's no way that's right, is there? That seems like a buttload of meat.

this recipe/guide I'm looking at is calling for a 5-8 lb brisket serving 4-6....there's no way that's right, is there? That seems like a buttload of meat.

You'll lose between 35-40% of that weight during the cook, and you can figure on roughly 1/3 of a lb per serving. If serving on a sandwich, drop it down to 1/4lb per person. I'd easily figure on each person averaging 1/2 a lb if you include multiple servings. Is it a full packer brisket or just the point or flat? 5-8lbs seems quite low. Most of the briskets I smoke are 14-20 lbs.

We haven't actually gotten the brisket yet, gotta call our butcher a day ahead, but flat

I can see that estimate being correct then. I've smoked only the flat once, and half a dozen people at the tailgate was about how many people ended up snacking on it.

Fair enough. Don't know how many guests we're really expecting/inviting if we pull the trigger, but I can adjust accordingly.

This is the recipe/guide FWIW, Oklahoma Joe's did my roommate's friend's wedding and he said it was incredible so a little nostalgia plays into the selection, its fairly basic though.

I typically smoke flat briskets and you should be able to feed a couple more than 4-6 people unless you are on the very low end of the range. I want to say that we can typically feed around 6-8 people with a 6-7lb brisket.

We haven't actually gotten the brisket yet, gotta call our butcher a day ahead, but flat

I hate flats. I don't even mess with them anymore. There's very little fat in the flat alone, which makes it hard to cook and limits the flavor. If you're going through the trouble of firing up the smoker for 8-12 hours, just get a full packer. You can always pack and freeze what you don't eat.

Fair enough. Don't know how many guests we're really expecting/inviting if we pull the trigger, but I can adjust accordingly.

This is the recipe/guide FWIW, Oklahoma Joe's did my roommate's friend's wedding and he said it was incredible so a little nostalgia plays into the selection, its fairly basic though.

FYI... that recipe says to smoke for 6 hours at 200-225. In that temperature range, it usually takes me closer to 8 hours for flat brisket. Brisket can be pretty tough if you don't smoke long enough.

ETA... I agree with Racer about the packer vs. flat. I wasn't able to find packers locally until recently but after doing a packer, I would pick that 10 times out of 10 over a flat. Plus, burnt ends are awesome!

I hate flats. I don't even mess with them anymore. There's very little fat in the flat alone, which makes it hard to cook and limits the flavor. If you're going through the trouble of firing up the smoker for 8-12 hours, just get a full packer. You can always pack and freeze what you don't eat.

FYI... that recipe says to smoke for 6 hours at 200-225. In that temperature range, it usually takes me closer to 8 hours for flat brisket. Brisket can be pretty tough if you don't smoke long enough.

ETA... I agree with Racer about the packer vs. flat. I wasn't able to find packers locally until recently but after doing a packer, I would pick that 10 times out of 10 over a flat. Plus, burnt ends are awesome!

So much agreement with both of these posts. Packers are definitely the way to go.

Noted, thanks

I noticed your avatar....dunno if its the place itself or the tie to Poe, but I used to live down the street from this place. Very cool decorations, inside and out. http://www.annabelleetavern.com/

completely forgot, sorry. i'll send now. probably going to have to send 1 at a time since they are on my phone.

tsy, check your email and let me know if the pictures came through. I put them all on one email so hopefully the email wasn't too big. Not sure what you wanted to see on the pictures but if you have any questions about the smoker, let me know and I'll try to answer.

Sweet. I got them. Thanks!

It interesting he has a choke on the exhaust. Most of the pit builders I've read about say to let the air flow free from the smoker, but choke down the intakes. Did you happen to get any pics of his 30ft long trailer?

Didn't really get any pictures of the big trailer. It was pretty cool though. I did get one picture of one of his smaller trailers. I'll email it over.

I cant decide if I want to downsize to a smaller tailgate trailer eventually, but if so, this is what I'm going with. Black and gold of course.

Weber Smokey Mountain users; talk to me about using a clay pot instead of water...

Do I just wrap the clay pot base in foil and set on the lip of an empty water pan? Should the clay pot actually fit inside the water pan? Does the clay pot completely replace the water pan, meaning I have to find one wide enough to sit on the water pan holders?

Anyone here ever smoked Quail?

I smoked a bunch of them this past weekend. I did my standard bird song and dance with some BGE poultry rub, low and slow and sauce at the end.

I pulled the birds at like 155, pretty weak for poultry, but they were super done and more dry than I would have liked them. Do poultry rules not apply for smaller bird game? Im thinking maybe brining them first would help. I still have a bunch of birds that my dad killed.

Back