• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

tsy, I would definitely recommend the class. About half of the people in my class compete in local/regional competitions and were there to get pointers on competition smoking. He gives lots of information on what the judges are looking for. The other half were home smokers but were fairly experienced although most were probably below your level. Not many rookies, they would have been completely lost.

Sounds good. I hope to eventually make it down there, maybe next year if the $$ is available. Were there many couples who did it together? My wife would most likely accompany me, since she and I do most of the smoking together.

I'm going to do my own little cooking competition this weekend. I've come across Myron's and Johnny Trigg's rib recipes and I'm going to try to replicate them. I'm mostly anxious to see what all the fuss is about Trigg's ribs, since that's what he's known for.

There were probably 4-5 women there.

Good luck with the ribs. I enjoyed Myron's ribs and brisket the most, as well as his cupcake chicken. His pork isn't really my style.

After checking my chest freezer, I don't have any ribs, but do have some Boston Butts doing those tomorrow in the Weber Summit using the smoker box. Not my favorite but its so easy.

It's not smoking, but it is butts. Does anyone have a carnitas recipe? My little girl's birthday is Cinco de Mayo. I've done chicken/beef fajitas the last two years, but I'm thinking carnitas tacos this year.

Getting ready to throw some butts on the WSM for tomorrow!

My butts on the Summit turned out really well. I hit the plateau which I never do with my stick burner. They didn't have the same robust flavor as my usual smoker, but you can't beat the ease of cooking with it.

My butts on the Summit turned out really well. I hit the plateau which I never do with my stick burner. They didn't have the same robust flavor as my usual smoker, but you can't beat the ease of cooking with it.

NIvely done. I saw your fb post and have to agree that the ease of knocking them out on the summit is hard to ignore. The wsm seemed to hold steady all night. The temp in the meat is sitting at 175 right now, so I'm going to let them go a few more hours.

After smoking for 12 hours, I wrapped the meat in foil with a little bbq sauce (vinegar based) where they sat for another hour and a half or so. Just opened them up and pulled them apart; we're eatin' good tonight.

It's not smoking, but it is butts. Does anyone have a carnitas recipe? My little girl's birthday is Cinco de Mayo. I've done chicken/beef fajitas the last two years, but I'm thinking carnitas tacos this year.

buckets has one. You might PM him. It's delicious.

My lady friend picked up the bricks and charcoal that I'm going to need for smoking on Friday. Looking forward to trying out ECB with the Smokey Joe modification.

you're doing a pork shoulder, right? I'm sure others have others but this is what I've used.

3 tbsp cajun seasoning
4 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt

Butt hit the smoker about 10:00 a.m. yesterday, low and slow'd all the way to 6:30 p.m. There is truly no more rewarding culinary experience.

Pulled it, sauced it, and then served it over a bed of mashed rutabaga (just like mashed potentates, but subbing in a cubed, peeled rutabaga and adding ten minutes to your boil time).

Thanks all for the links/advice on this one. I ended up putting my own recipe together based on reading and piecing together multiple others.

Started with two pork picnics. Sliced off the outer skin/fat layer and sat aside. Deboned, chunked the pork into 2 inch sized cubes, no fat removed and salted. I wanted to slow cook the pork in fat Michoacan style, so I stuffed it into a deep pan to limit extra space, figuring as the heat broke down the fat it would form a bath for the chunks to cook in, so I wouldn't need to supplement with broth/water. I added a couple hefty spoons of bacon grease from the fridge to get it started and layered the skin/fat on top to hold in moisture and provide extra fat to break down and then shoved it in the over at 250 for 6 hours or so. Cooked until the innermost pork in the pan was 190+ for about an hour. After 6 hours, I broke up the 2 inch chunks into something a little larger than pulled pork, added some seasoning (more salt, garlic, cumin, onion, cayenne), and then placed it under the broiler for a couple minutes to brown the edges.

Result: awesome

Smoked two butts for graduation to rave reviews. Yesterday was moving day and the smoker was looking pretty rough so I used space as an excuse to pitch so now I can buy a new one.

Smoked two butts for graduation to rave reviews. Yesterday was moving day and the smoker was looking pretty rough so I used space as an excuse to pitch so now I can buy a new one.

Da fuq you talking about? You're not married - no need to pitch to her about how you spend your moniez yet.

Back