• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

We need to throw a "Ribs and Salsa Music" contest, in honor of Charles Ramsey, American hero and barbecue master.

Overheard on the elevator ride this morning:

"Making BBQ is easy. Get yourself a Boston Butt and put it in a crock pot with a couple teaspoons of liquid smoke. After about 6 hours, take it out and pull it apart and then put it back in the crockpot for another 2 hours with a bottle of BBQ sauce."

"Making BBQ is easy. Get yourself a Boston Butt and put it in a crock pot with a couple teaspoons of liquid smoke. After about 6 hours, take it out and pull it apart and then put it back in the crockpot for another 2 hours with a bottle of BBQ sauce."

Blasphemy.

Well, it's been a while since I busted out the BGE so i figured it was time remedy that. I picked up an 8lb Boston butt yesterday and put a nice rub on it and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Got the Egg fired up this morning and I should be eating pretty good about 7pm.

It's never too early to have a beer if there's meat being cooked, is it?

Leg quarters are on sale at El Teatro this week, $0.59 cents per pound. Anyone ever try smoking less than a whole chicken? What kind of time and temp would you use? Thinking about making a homemade sauce, but as ever, would prefer to smoke.

Leg quarters are on sale at El Teatro this week, $0.59 cents per pound. Anyone ever try smoking less than a whole chicken? What kind of time and temp would you use? Thinking about making a homemade sauce, but as ever, would prefer to smoke.

I've done quarters before and they turned out pretty good. You need high temp and it won't take a lot of time (1-2 hours).

Yesterday, we did two chickens using a rub from the Salt Lick in Austin that was pretty good. We also smoked beef brats and chorizos which turned out great.

I smoked a boston butt overnight on Friday with apple wood and did 3 spatchcock chickens yesterday with cherry wood. This weather is perfect for sitting outside with a cold one and smelling the smokey goodness.

I smoked a boston butt overnight on Friday with apple wood and did 3 spatchcock chickens yesterday with cherry wood. This weather is perfect for sitting outside with a cold one and smelling the smokey goodness.

Spatchcock? Oh you meant butterflied.

Big smoking weekend...A neighbor is returning from China, we are smoking a brisket, a shoulder and 3lbs of polish sausages (which by the way are freaking awesome).

Smoking it old school next weekend. Doing a small get together for work on Saturday. I'll be doing 8 Boston Butts on a modified Brinkman vertical smoker. I'm looking forward to mixing it up and going back to my roots. I'll be using my Maverick wireless thermometers of course though.

Back