• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Yeah, I figured as much. Some of the guys who smoke claim with great furor that they can tell slight differences in their flavors depending on the slightest influences. I prefer to just drink and cook, and typically it turns out good.

My grandmother used to always tell us to never put leftover pork in aluminum foil in the fridge, but never gave a reason. It wasn't until I started smoking meats that I found out the reason why. The reaction usually takes a few hours to gear up, so you're still safe to wrap them the final hour or so on the smoker and while resting. I just wouldn't leave the two in contact with each other for extended periods of time.

Its been a while, but its good to know I still know how to work the old girl.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369347478958.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369347478958.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
Smoking a picnic for my first try on the modified Brinkmann. As I anticipated, finding the correct setting for the air intake has been a challenge. Going well now, although it's been stalled at 175 for 90 minutes.

Lowes has kingsford charcoal on sale this weekend, $9.99 for 2 x 20 pound bags.

Smoking a picnic for my first try on the modified Brinkmann. As I anticipated, finding the correct setting for the air intake has been a challenge. Going well now, although it's been stalled at 175 for 90 minutes.

I've seen them stall for 2-3 hours. No big deal.

I prefer lump too, but Cowboy lump is awful IMO. Tiny pieces, broom handles, nails, etc.

It never even occured to me that there would be a site dedicated to charcoal reviews. But sure enough...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

I was given a bag as a gift that I'll be using Sunday, I think its Royal Oak IIRC but don't know if any country is specified. Its in my trunk and I'd go check, but its raining.

^ I've used several of his recipes/cooking methods (naked whiz) and everything I've tried has come out great. There is good info on his website.

yeah I'm planning on going to Harris Teeter on Saturday and I'll see what they have, but I'm at least stocked up for the near future. My closest grocery store basically only has Kingsford and Cowboy Lump.

I get my lump coal from our liquor store, they have stacks of it. Usually start with kingsford briquettes with lump mixed in. I have no idea what brand it is but will have to take a look.

Do you get the same burn time/consumption with lump as you do with briquettes in the WSM?

Nope, it doesn't last as long. It burns faster and you can't fit as much into the WSM since it's irregularly shaped. If I'm looking to do an "unattended" 10-12 hour cook, I use Kingsford every time. I don't really like the filler/chemicals, but it's what works best. If I'm doing shorter rib/chicken cooks, I'll use lump if I have it. And I much prefer lump on my grill where I use the majority of my charcoal. I'm glad it's Memorial Day weekend though, because I'm down to 1 bag of charcoal from when I stocked up last year at this time. If you use lump in the WSM, just remember that it burns hotter and with less ash, so you'll likely need less airflow than you're accustomed to with briquettes.

This weekend might have been my backyard cooking high water mark. 80/20 burgers on Friday, Scallops (turkey-bacon wrapped in a cast iron skillet over medium heat) on Saturday, smoked turkey on Sunday and the finishing move on Monday with a healthy Butt (I like the big ones and will not mislead you). By the time I pulled the pork off the heat tonight, my grill was telling me I'm the best she's ever had. The shoulder blade slid out like a credit card through a grocery store scanner.

This weekend I'll be smoking some more boston butts for our church and also will be doing a venison shoulder for a friend. I'd typically rub and flavor the venison like I would beef, but I'm thinking of mixing it up a little this time. Any recommendations?

Smoked ribs this weekend, 3 racks using the 3-2-1 method. They turned out good, but I still think I need some practice.

Bought some lava rocks and put in my cast iron pan I use as my wood pan. The chunks still burned and had white ash on top and produced white smoke after about 30 to 45 minutes of blue smoke. I pulled those wood chunks out, added more lava rock and put more chunks in and they never got hot enough to even smoke. Back to the drawing board I guess...

I will post a few pics in a few.

First pic is the smoker. The pan on the bottom rack is a cake pan I bought that I am using as the water pan. The original water pan that came with the smoker would only hold a few cups of water. I still need to modify the existing water pan rack to accomodate the new water pan. Also, you can see the cast iron pan with the lava rocks in it. The cast iron pan is resting on the original wood/chip pan that came with the unit. It has vents in it that allowed the flame from the burner to actually ignite the wood. I researched the web and found most people were using the cast iron pan method. I am obviously still having some issues...

Pic 2 is the the mobile island. It was an old microwave cart my Dad had built back in the 70's. It was white, had some black hammered finished knobs and hardware, and had a linoleum top. I had a stainless steel top fabricated by a friend and we painted it black and changed out the hardware. We added some hooks and handles on the side for me to hang utensils and hand towels.

Pic 3 & 4 are the ribs from this weekend

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Mobile Island.jpg
    Mobile Island.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Ribs 1.jpg
    Ribs 1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Ribs 2.jpg