• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

I did the one where you marinade it in OJ, ginger ale, and soy sauce. The glaze wasnt bad at all, I just didn't like the internal flavor of them. Which recipe did you use?

That sounds like the best bet to me.

Same one. I smoked with peach wood. I thought the flavor was really good.

I used my staple of hickory and oak, and maybe it was just the interaction of the smoke and the OJ, but the smoke coming out smelled like death for an hour or so. I didnt notice any appreciable extra tenderness versus what I typically do.

In his class, he said he always uses fruit wood on ribs. I don't know if that makes a difference with how it pairs with his marinades or not but I thought the peach wood paired nicely with it. It was my first time using peach and it made for a good change of pace smoke flavor.

I've got one more big smoke this weekend before my smoker is going to be taken out of commission for a while. I've been debating this for a while and finally decided in a YOLO moment to dismantle and reconstruct the tailgate trailer and smoker. To reduce weight I'm making it a trailer you walk up to as opposed to walking on it. I'm going to take off the burn barrel and build a new, insulated, rectangular burn barrel. It'll help with efficiency and hopefully drastically reduce the amount of heat it puts off. Why I couldnt get this wild hair back in the cooler, winter months, I have no idea.

I am currently smoking two Boston Butts on the Big Green Egg. They've been on since about 7 last night, with a couple of hours to go.

I know this is a smoking food thread, but I just had a brisket sandwich from Oklahoma Joe's in KC. It was awesome and tells me my brisket skills need a lot of work.

100 pounds of boston butt this weekend. We'll see how it goes. It's a lot of BBQ to turn out with just a WSM and Weber kettle.

I know this is a smoking food thread, but I just had a brisket sandwich from Oklahoma Joe's in KC. It was awesome and tells me my brisket skills need a lot of work.

I made the recipe once before....freaking fantastic. I did a few things that were different for a variety of reasons (finished in the over due to time even though I added in a lot of extra time because that estimate is pretty aggressive), but here it is.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ma-joes-smoked-brisket-flat-recipe/index.html

Brisket is on my list of things to smoke next. I have only had brisket from Bib's and found it to be good but it just falls apart when trying to pick it up with a fork. Is it supposed to be that tender? When I watch shows like Man vs Food, Triple D or BBQ shows, other restaurant brisket seems like it is sliced and would hold up when touched with a plastic fork. I think I would like that better. Or maybe I just had bad brisket from Bib's.

Brisket is on my list of things to smoke next. I have only had brisket from Bib's and found it to be good but it just falls apart when trying to pick it up with a fork. Is it supposed to be that tender? When I watch shows like Man vs Food, Triple D or BBQ shows, other restaurant brisket seems like it is sliced and would hold up when touched with a plastic fork. I think I would like that better. Or maybe I just had bad brisket from Bib's.

In theory, it should be just tender enough to not fall apart. In practice, that's hard to do and the reason brisket is so hard to master. It's damn near impossible at a BBQ restaurant where the brisket has to be pre-cooked and kept warm (i.e. still cooking) for multiple hours until it is served. The stuff you see on TV is "perfect" but probably doesn't represent what they serve day in and day out.

On the other hand, some places don't cook their brisket enough and it comes out more like flank steak. Hell, Mac's Speed Shop in CLT actually puts their smoked brisket slices back on the grill for char marks before serving. They are cut thick and not even close to done/tender. Awful example of brisket IMO. Midwood Smokehouse in CLT does an excellent brisket though. You can choose lean (flat), fatty (point), or a mix and they somehow seem to serve it without it being overdone most of the time.

Last edited:
In theory, it should be just tender enough to not fall apart. In practice, that's hard to do and the reason brisket is so hard to master. It's damn near impossible at a BBQ restaurant where the brisket has to be pre-cooked and kept warm (i.e. still cooking) for multiple hours until it is served. The stuff you see on TV is "perfect" but probably doesn't represent what they serve day in and day out.

On the other hand, some places don't cook their brisket enough and it comes out more like flank steak. Hell, Mac's Speed Shop in CLT actually puts their smoked brisket slices back on the grill for char marks before serving. They are cut thick and not even close to done/tender. Awful example of brisket IMO. Midwood Smokehouse in CLT does an excellent brisket though. You can choose lean (flat), fatty (point), or a mix and they somehow seem to serve it without it being overdone most of the time.

Ah, yes! I did not even think about it being held in a warmer even though I know it is done nor did I think about the magic of TV!

Ideally you want to be able to lay it over your finger and it lay down like limp bacon. When you pull it apart, you want a slight tug before it separates. Its easy go replicate if you eat it fresh out of resting, but next to impossible if it sits for any length of time. The brisket I had at a famous BBQ restaurant in Texas was still overdone.

Ideally you want to be able to lay it over your finger and it lay down like limp bacon. When you pull it apart, you want a slight tug before it separates. Its easy go replicate if you eat it fresh out of resting, but next to impossible if it sits for any length of time. The brisket I had at a famous BBQ restaurant in Texas was still overdone.

Come on name names. If you were at the salt lick that would be one thing...but if you went to dickies....

Come on name names. If you were at the salt lick that would be one thing...but if you went to dickies....

I did go to Dickey's while there, but that isnt the one I was referring to. Mike Anderson's is where I got the overdone brisket. It was still good, just overcooked.

OK, Oklahoma Joe's brisket recipe is great - a bit spicy for my taste, but everyone else thought it was just right.

It took forever to cook on my Brinkman. I finished it off in the oven and lucked out by pulling it at the right time.

Thanks to JDawg for posting the recipe.

Last edited:
101 pounds smoking away. 10 butts on the WSM and 4 on my Weber Performer. Stupid Costco and their boneless butts though. Put them on at 8 and it took a while for the smoker to heat up with so much meat so I'll probably leave them on till 9-10 tomorrow. Going to cook up an Eastern, Lexington and SC Mustard sauce in the morning to go with it.

Back