• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Is it as easy to use as the website makes it seem? From doing a little research of my own, it seems like the thing is pretty much lets you fire and forget.

The key is to keep your top vent (chimney) closed more than you typically would so that you don't get too hot. It doesn't do a very good job (if anything at all) if the temp gets too hot. It is great at keeping temp up so I made sure to minimize air flow more than I typically do and let the CyberQ compensate for the difference. I didn't have to adjust at all for the entire smoke! The hardest part was setting it up to work remotely. I got it where it works over my home network but not over the internet. I'm trying to figure that out before my next use.

I got it where it works over my home network but not over the internet. I'm trying to figure that out before my next use.

Port forwarding or DMZ. Using a Dynamic DNS address can help too if your assigned IP address from your ISP changes.

I'm going to to smoke some 2" pork chops tonite. Using a balsamic marinade and applewood chips. Thinking of a 250 setting until 135 internal temp. and then reverse searing. Does that sound right?

Port forwarding or DMZ. Using a Dynamic DNS address can help too if your assigned IP address from your ISP changes.

Yeah, I messed around with port forwarding until about 2am and then I gave up. Couldn't get it to work correctly. Probably a little over my head from an IT standpoint.

Had about a ton of tulip poplar tree fall in my yard during the storm on Friday night. Anybody here try smoking with tulip poplar?

Not much discussion of wings in this thread at all....might try it on Thursday. Would be quicker obviously so I would be able to clean everything up earlier in the day. Couple hours at 225-250 should do it based on what I'm seeing and then can grill for a couple minutes to get some crispiness. Anybody have any other advice, sauce recommendations, etc?

I've done wings a few times. Honestly, unless I already have the smoker setup for something else, I'd rather just cook the wings indirect at higher temps (350+) with some wood chips for flavor and then finish them over direct heat. You get a little more smoke flavor with the low/slow smoke, but it's not worth the tradeoff in texture IMO. The chicken and skin ends up more rubbery, even after crisping.

Our favorite wing place does the smoke/flash fry method, which is what gave us the idea. We do have a fryer so maybe we'll experiment.

Do you know what temp they smoke them at? I've had lots of good smoked poultry, but it's almost always been smoked at roasting temps rather than the 220 range used to break down fat/etc in pork/beef. Ultimately, it's a temp thing rather than a smoke vs non-smoke thing. I've had smoked/flash fried wings a couple times...definitely solid.

No idea. I could try a higher temperature obviously.

Not much discussion of wings in this thread at all....might try it on Thursday. Would be quicker obviously so I would be able to clean everything up earlier in the day. Couple hours at 225-250 should do it based on what I'm seeing and then can grill for a couple minutes to get some crispiness. Anybody have any other advice, sauce recommendations, etc?
I love smoking wings. They're so quick and easy. Can you crank up the temp on your smoker? I typically smoke mine at 275 for an hour to an hour and a half. I love them fresh off the smoker, but I've also crisped them up on the grill after taking them off the smoker. They're great to smoke along with some ABT's. They both respond well to similar times and temperatures.

Probably, I've never gotten it consistently that high but I'm sure with more charcoal I could get it plus maybe not using a water pan.

And ABTs....you just blew my mind.

I'm pretty sure I did....just never thought of it. Which is why it blew my mind.

my problem is that my smoker has very limited space...its a vertical, maybe 21" in diameter. One rack up top and one further down above where the water pan goes.

my problem is that my smoker has very limited space...its a vertical, maybe 21" in diameter. One rack up top and one further down above where the water pan goes.

Add extra racks. I run up to 4 racks when I'm doing tons of ribs for tailgates.

Here are instructions for doing it on a WSM, but it should apply to all vertical smokers: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/increasecapacity.html

I made a 1/2 recipe of Chris Lily's white bbq sauce. Interesting. I did not hate it.

to follow up from above, ended up just grilling the wings...didn't want to worry about cleanup with 40 people mulling around and lots of beer in me

Thinking about messing with tri-tip this weekend and can't search that term due to the three letters...any various tips/advice/recipes? Doesn't seem too difficult, just season it a bit and let the smoker do the work for a couple hours.

to follow up from above, ended up just grilling the wings...didn't want to worry about cleanup with 40 people mulling around and lots of beer in me

Thinking about messing with tri-tip this weekend and can't search that term due to the three letters...any various tips/advice/recipes? Doesn't seem too difficult, just season it a bit and let the smoker do the work for a couple hours.

That's pretty much it. I like to pull it when the internal temp is between 120-125 and sear it off over high heat to give it a little char on the outside. Pull it off high heat around 130-135 and let it rest a bit. Slice and enjoy. If you're going for fork tender on the smoker, you'll probably need to smoke it a lot longer - I've never taken one to that point on the smoker so I can't help you out there.

That's pretty much it. I like to pull it when the internal temp is between 120-125 and sear it off over high heat to give it a little char on the outside. Pull it off high heat around 130-135 and let it rest a bit. Slice and enjoy. If you're going for fork tender on the smoker, you'll probably need to smoke it a lot longer - I've never taken one to that point on the smoker so I can't help you out there.

probably not, planning on just slicing

eta: probably planning on two, one maybe done a bit more than the others for the wimmenfolk and seasoned differently just to try different things

Last edited:
Back