• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

If you're going for fork tender on the smoker, you'll probably need to smoke it a lot longer - I've never taken one to that point on the smoker so I can't help you out there.

I doubt you can get it there...not enough fat and crap to break down like a brisket. You'd have to do it more like a pot roast (where all of the moisture is trapped) to get it fork tender without drying out IMO. Tri-tip is best rare to medium with a bit of smoke flavor. I generally do them on my Weber kettle. I'll set it up for indirect cooking and choke the air down to smoke it for a bit at 200-220. Then, I'll pull the tri-tip off, open everything up and let the fire get going and then sear it off over the open flame before resting and serving.

I separated the burn box from the smoking chamber on my smoker today for the renovation. The smell of remnant pig fat burning was quite appeasing.

To follow up, my butcher couldn't get the delivery of tri tips until next week. So that may be next Saturday. I still want to do something tomorrow though but am kind of torn.

Any suggestions? I can always go back to pork shoulder, but not sure if I want something that length. I dunno.

smoking a small pork shoulder today for the panthers game.. should be delicious using a combo of apple and hickory for the wood

Just got the ask to smoke pulled pork for my Grandmother-in-law's 90th birthday in a few weeks. It will be smaller than the 14 butts I did earlier this summer, but I'll still be cooking for 100+ folks.

I just moved and I let the neighbor keep the smoker we were gifted by another neighbor. Other than the WSM, are there any other options you guys would recommend? The last smoker was a side by side char boil which I do not want. That thing was a fuel hog.

I just moved and I let the neighbor keep the smoker we were gifted by another neighbor. Other than the WSM, are there any other options you guys would recommend? The last smoker was a side by side char boil which I do not want. That thing was a fuel hog.

For a home-sized smoker that doesn't use gas or isn't an expensive pellet style or ceramic egg, the WSM is pretty much the standard. The ability to "set it and forget it" is unmatched on any other smoker I've used or had friends to own.

Has anyone smoked a Ham? My buddy's got a couple from a pig he shot last month and we are wondering if they can be smoked like a butt/shoulder.

Definitely. There's not a huge difference between it and a shoulder other than how dense the meat is to begin with. I cook mine just slightly longer than a shoulder. I've heard from some that they tend to dry out easier than shoulders, but I've never experienced anything like that.

I have smoked a couple of hams. I inject with a fast cure and let it sit in the cure/brine. Since it was cold as shit in Wisconsin, I would throw it in a turkey fryer pot, cover and let it sit in the garage for a week. Might not be an option for you. Day of the cook I peel the skin off leaving a little fat, then score it. The scoring is optional, but it looks pretty cool when done right. I want to say it took over 12 hours to smoke the thing, but I can't remember. The first ham was perfect and the second one was dry in one section. Its possible, plausible, or very likely that I was drunk for the second one. It was probably more work than what I wanted to do or maybe I cut fuck out of my finger getting the skin off (sober at the time), but in the end we determined for the holidays with a lot of people we would bake the ham and use the smoker for chickens and turkey.

This is from last weekend. In the uncooked picture, the one on the left is the standard yellow mustard with the rub I use
(brown sugar, cajun seasoning, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt) and I experimented with the one on the right with the redder appearance using spicy brown mustard. That one was mostly brown sugar, adobo all-purpose seasoning, cajun and paprika again, a bunch of molasses bacon, some ground mustard, chipotle and roasted garlic seasoning, old bay, ground cayenne....it was a bunch of stuff. In the end, you can see they looked the same. The one I made was saltier, but it wasn't inedible - I couldn't really tell much of a difference. But it was a fun experiment. I think next time if I experimented I'll go way more off the wall and really try and differentiate it.

With the pictures of the done ones, honestly I don't remember which is which.

nxh6.jpg

xebo.jpg

hosd.jpg

Definitely. There's not a huge difference between it and a shoulder other than how dense the meat is to begin with. I cook mine just slightly longer than a shoulder. I've heard from some that they tend to dry out easier than shoulders, but I've never experienced anything like that.

I have smoked a couple of hams. I inject with a fast cure and let it sit in the cure/brine. Since it was cold as shit in Wisconsin, I would throw it in a turkey fryer pot, cover and let it sit in the garage for a week. Might not be an option for you. Day of the cook I peel the skin off leaving a little fat, then score it. The scoring is optional, but it looks pretty cool when done right. I want to say it took over 12 hours to smoke the thing, but I can't remember. The first ham was perfect and the second one was dry in one section. Its possible, plausible, or very likely that I was drunk for the second one. It was probably more work than what I wanted to do or maybe I cut fuck out of my finger getting the skin off (sober at the time), but in the end we determined for the holidays with a lot of people we would bake the ham and use the smoker for chickens and turkey.

If you get the internal temp high enough, will the ham pull apart?

For a home-sized smoker that doesn't use gas or isn't an expensive pellet style or ceramic egg, the WSM is pretty much the standard. The ability to "set it and forget it" is unmatched on any other smoker I've used or had friends to own.

i have the side by side char broil and agree it is a fuel hog. i managed to start a huge grease fire in teh gas side this weekend that melted most of the paint off it, too. I like the idea of having one grill for gas and charcoal, and I don't smoke as much as I would like so the fuel hog part is not a killer for me. Regardless when it gives out (sooner rather than later if I keep up the conflagrations) I'm probably going with a WSM or maybe spring for a Big Green Egg if I've had a good year :cool:

Going to smoke a couple of pork butts this weekend but was thinking about buying a small beef chuck roast to try. Any tips for that? Should I use a different rub than I use on pork? Was planning on using the Southern Succor Rub Racer posted on the pork butts.

Bump...hitting the store tonight to get supplies. Any suggestions on a rub for the beef chuck roast?

To be honest, simpler is better when it come to beef. Most of the time, I just use salt, pepper, and occasionally some minced garlic. Beef has such a great natural flavor, its a shame to cover it up.

Think I should inject? I know you said you used to inject all butts, but have since stopped. Does beef tend to dry out more?

I'd probably keep it simple exactly like tsy said, but if you want to spice it up you could probably do something similar to what I used on brisket (see below). I'd probably go the lazy route and just spray apple juice on it if you're afraid of it drying.

1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ed-brisket-flat-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Think I should inject? I know you said you used to inject all butts, but have since stopped. Does beef tend to dry out more?

It doesn't have nearly as much fat/moisture as a pork butt. I probably wouldn't cook a chuck roast low/slow unless it's in something like a crockpot or roaster. Maybe place it in the smoker for 30-45 minutes uncovered to get the smoker flavor and then finish in the oven or the smoker, but covered to keep the moisture in? Or maybe not. Give it a try and see how it turns out...can't know until you try. Typically, my preference for small beef roasts (especially Tri-tip) is to sear them and then finish on high, but indirect heat with a little smoke to a nice medium temp.

As for a rub, I like something simple on beef. Salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne.

Back