• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Hey TSY, I am looking for some kind of heart resistant tape or adhesive gasket to seal up my chargrill grill/smoker better. Ideas? Struck out at the big box home warehouse stores.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Also did some pretty decent beef ribs for lunch today. Used an Adam Perry Lang recipe.

Hey TSY, I am looking for some kind of heart resistant tape or adhesive gasket to seal up my chargrill grill/smoker better. Ideas? Struck out at the big box home warehouse stores.

Try the BGE replacement heat gasket. You should be able to find it on Amazon. I got some a while back that was like $35 for a 10' roll.

woooo got the ET-733 and an electric knife and some heavy duty tongs and a giant basting brush

Shoulder was on time yesterday.

I happen to enjoy the process of saucing. Softened onions over EVOO with S&P until reduced, fold in brown sugar, ketchup and ACV, let that set up (a little worchestershire sauce never hurt anyone), and then hit the meat fresh off the smoke with some homemade sauce. So good to douse it once and then rip and dip.

The butt on Sunday turned out great! Was on the smoker from 1:30am until 3:30pm. Pulled off @ 165, put it in an aluminum pan with some apple juice, wrapped in foil and put back on the smoker until it was @ 187.
aze2eva2.jpg

age5enah.jpg

"Smoking" 3 racks of ribs on my Weber Summit today for the 500. I'm using three different rubs that Nonny gave me as a secret Santa gift. They're looking impressive, even for a gas grill.

Picked up three books that I hope to utilize a lot in the coming months....anybody have any history with any of them and can speak to some favorite recipes or anything? I did some research and these seemed to cover everything from the basics to roasting a whole pig

Smokin' with Myron Mixon (w/ Kelly Alexander)
Spoke & Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison
Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang

I've got the first and third. Both are good to pull recipes from. Personally, I like the APL book the best.

For the first time in going on 5 years, I'm doing any major modifications to my smoker this year. I honestly dont know what I'll do with myself. I may end up adding a better handle to the burn box, but nothing like the major renovations of summers past.

My first big cook is coming up the first weekend in May. I'm going to go with chicken quarters and see how they compare to the beer can chicken I've made in the past. It should be a much shorter cooking time, and hopefully much less labor intensive.

Smoking a brisket flat this coming Saturday. I was going to inject it with beef broth per Meathead on amazingribs.com and use the Texas Crutch method to keep it moist. Any other suggestions?

We are going to do a late Cinco de Mayo party in a few weeks. I think I'm going to smoke a brisket with tex-mex seasoning (read: heat) and pull it apart for use in soft tacos. Any thoughts on how best to execute this? Anybody got a good spice rub idea? Or a good board dressing I can use to add extra heat to a portion?

The brisket flat did not turn out like I expected. It did not taste bad, it was moist and tender, it just tasted like roast beef. I am thinking it tasted that way because I injected with beef broth and then at about 150 degrees, I wrapped in foil with some more beef broth. I followed the Texas Style Beef Brisket recipe on www.amazingribs.com.

Any suggestions for the next time I try a brisket flat?

The only thing I did to control moisture was spray some apple juice and it turned out great. I don't even think I wrapped it in foil.

Back