• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

I think the ribs I got from Costco already had the membranes removed. I looked for them a good while last night, and wasn't able to find them. Rubbed them down, vacuum sealed them and theyve been in the fridge all night. Throwing them on after lunch for dinner tonight. How did yours turn out yesterday tuffalo?

Pics are coming tomorrow. Ribs are approaching 2 hours, and they smell wonderful.

Next weekend doing a gig that'll be 20 beer can chickens and two pork shoulders.

I think the ribs I got from Costco already had the membranes removed. I looked for them a good while last night, and wasn't able to find them. Rubbed them down, vacuum sealed them and theyve been in the fridge all night. Throwing them on after lunch for dinner tonight. How did yours turn out yesterday tuffalo?

2 racks (the first ones I prepped) had the membranes pre-removed. The last one evidently didn't. The half rack I grabbed to eat was from that one. At least there's leftovers.

The ribs were pretty good but not good enough to win. I messed up the rub this time and didn't add enough of my PROPRIETARY spicy component. The brown sugar I added didn't do much either and will be CUT for competition. I coming around on the sauce. I think it's best as a chicken dip but it's SOLID for ribs. The bad thing was that these ribs were a little fattier than the ones a couple weeks ago. I've got some things to work on, but I'm pretty confident about the final practice though.

The family came over and was ranting and raving about the ribs. They varied in size, and IMO the ends were a little too done. Pulling them off 30 minutes earlier will help tremendously. I got my timing figured out for the competition though. Everybody better watch out. We've adjusted what we lost points on last year. Got the passes in the mail and saw the positions layout in the email. 21 teams this year will be almost twice what there was last year. Even have a team coming from Tenn.

The family came over and was ranting and raving about the ribs. They varied in size, and IMO the ends were a little too done. Pulling them off 30 minutes earlier will help tremendously. I got my timing figured out for the competition though. Everybody better watch out. We've adjusted what we lost points on last year. Got the passes in the mail and saw the positions layout in the email. 21 teams this year will be almost twice what there was last year. Even have a team coming from Tenn.

Ugh I just saw the layout. I specifically asked to be set up near y'all. Instead I'm as far away as possible. SMH

I knew they'd put me in the place with the most room due to the trailer. I'm surprised at how many people have entered this year. Should be a good, healthy competition. What I do find interesting is that they put us and Ugly Suckling side by side again. We were beside each other last year, and happened to be the two teams that won last year.

I knew they'd put me in the place with the most room due to the trailer. I'm surprised at how many people have entered this year. Should be a good, healthy competition. What I do find interesting is that they put us and Ugly Suckling side by side again. We were beside each other last year, and happened to be the two teams that won last year.

They must expect me to lose. Dagger.

Yeah I definitely have to bounce after setting up on Friday. The so-called party should last until 9 or so, at which time I might head back to the fairgrounds. Unless it'll be too hot to sleep.

Think I'll need to get a canopy tent for the weekend?

There should be a nice breeze at night. Are you thinking a canopy to sleep under or to cook under for Saturday? I will say, last year it was great to have some shade to cook under. If you are thinking a canopy solely for sleeping purposes, then I'd say no, you wont need one. We're bringing one for sure, possibly two. There will be plenty of room to sleep under our canopy.

Canopy for cooking under. I am anticipating that it will be Andersonville hot on Saturday. And, indeed, for the whole rest of the summer.

Yeah, it would be a good idea to get one to cook under. The heat was pretty intense last year. The thunderstorm last year did wonders for cooling off the temps, but increased the humidity.

Lots of credit needs to go to OSD this morning. He introduced me to a gadget that is epic. I'm kicking myself for not inventing this first. Let me introduce the Chile Twister. Its going to change the way I do ABT's going forward. In fact, I just put two on our registry.

4410513877092P.JPG

corer-green%20chile.jpg

Also, I want to throw this idea out there. Say I were to construct some ABT racks in the shape of the Deacon Head. Would anyone be interested in purchasing one? If so, what would be a fair price to ask? Kind of like the Texas shaped one below, but in the shape of the Deacon's head.

JG12TX450.jpg

Also, I want to throw this idea out there. Say I were to construct some ABT racks in the shape of the Deacon Head. Would anyone be interested in purchasing one? If so, what would be a fair price to ask? Kind of like the Texas shaped one below, but in the shape of the Deacon's head.

JG12TX450.jpg

I would be interested, TeacherFianceeDeac would be creeped out.

I'll probably make a prototype for myself to see how much time and effort goes into one, and see how they work this fall during tailgating. If successful, I could make you one for a wedding gift, or would that freak her out?

Back