• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Kicking it old school this weekend with the Brinkmann. Doing two bone in boston butts this weekend. I'm thinking of mixing it up and trying a different rub to compare.

We are looking for a new living situation and one of my "must haves" is the ability to own and employ a smoker again.

So I am going to try doing ribs again tomorrow. I did not wrap them last time and did find that they were a little more tough than I would have liked.

As I should have done in the first place I am going to take Tsy's advice and wrap with butter after a couple of hours on the grill. I plan on sticking them in the oven for a while to tenderize then add a little sauce over flame to finish.

Hopefully will have some pics to share this time around.

For many years I never wrapped my ribs, and they turned out excellent. I swore against the Texas crutch, but then I figured out a good method and took them to a whole other level. I cant mass produce them, but in small amounts, holy hell.

2014-07-04 10.41.08.jpg2014-07-04 12.10.19.jpg2014-07-04 18.21.51.jpg

Ribs turned out much better this time. Ended up wrapped in the oven about an hour more than I intended, so were almost too tender, but they were delicious.

Two boston butts have been on since 10:30 this morning. Two separate rubs I'm comparing. I went with the Weber Summit this time instead of the Brinkmann. It pains me, but I'm using the smoker box and its so easy to just set it at a temperature and forget it for a few hours.

We were sent home from the 4th with a ton of leftover ribs and a boston butt. Fall off the bone tender ribs.

Just put an application in on a town house with a space for a smoker. Last year I got rid of my modified Brinkman and am wondering if I want to go that route again or if the next step is a WSM. Any thoughts? Is the 14.5 going to be big enough?

Did 6 tri-tips today. Here they are after just being put on the smoker. I love using the reverse sear method so much. Everyone at the OSD preseason tailgate is impressed.

usazeruq.jpg

I started a 7lb boston butt at 6am this morning. Things are starting to smell pretty damn good around here.

This thread doesn't seem to be as active as in the past....and I'm not helping.

Might do my first smoke of the year this weekend with brisket. Gonna stop by the butcher on the way home and see what I can get my hands on.

Might do my first smoke of the year this weekend with brisket. Gonna stop by the butcher on the way home and see what I can get my hands on.

No kidding. I haven't smoked anything since early in the spring when I did some ribs; seems like I've jsut been too busy to commit the time to it.

It'll pick back up once cooler weather returns, plus football season. I just can't motivate myself to smoke that often when it's 90 degrees outside. Plus, there are much cooler things I can do like sit in a tube drinking beer while floating down a river.

Smoked some killer ribs this past weekend. I'd like to do a bone-in turkey breast next, but it'll probably take some searching to find a non-self basting turkey breast in the off season.

I waited about as long as I could, but the weather for this morning didn't look good at all (storms possible and windy so my tent would have been of little use) so I canceled. And of course it's beautiful out. Fuck.

GF got drunk last night and let me know she is surprising me with a smoker as a housewarming gift. I think her plan is the 18.5 WSM. Should I just give her $100.00 to get the 22.5?

Back