• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Idk about you but when I set up my WSM and get the temp locked in ~30 mins later, it doesn’t take much if any monitoring or tweaking for the rest of the cooking time.

I’m actually going to run mine on Monday while I work from home to smoke two pork shoulders.

Idk about you but when I set up my WSM and get the temp locked in ~30 mins later, it doesn’t take much if any monitoring or tweaking for the rest of the cooking time.

I feel like I am reloading the charcoal four or five times over an 8 hour smoke. It’s possible I am not doing it right. I am constantly fussing with the air flow valves, more if the weather is windy outside. The digiq looks interesting. I would like to be able to do a 14 hour brisket and not worry about it.

On an unrelated note, I did a tri tip, beef ribs and a pastrami yesterday. First time trying a pastrami and it turned out great.

I feel like I am reloading the charcoal four or five times over an 8 hour smoke. It’s possible I am not doing it right. I am constantly fussing with the air flow valves, more if the weather is windy outside. The digiq looks interesting. I would like to be able to do a 14 hour brisket and not worry about it.

On an unrelated note, I did a tri tip, beef ribs and a pastrami yesterday. First time trying a pastrami and it turned out great.

Yeah idk. I fill up the charcoal basket to the top and never refill it through at least a 12 hr smoke. Wind is a big factor, I hope it’s not this windy tomorrow. I fiddle with the vents every now and then, but usually just glance out the window every hour or so to make sure it’s about in the range.

Did you use the virtual Weber bullet recipe for pastrami? I think I posted about that on here before but that has to be my favorite thing I’ve made on the smoker. I actually had some of that for lunch today from the freezer - the virus has had me taking stock of freezer contents from top to bottom and happened to find some pastrami at the bottom. Small win.

Nice. Today I did a pork tenderloin and some bacon candy after. Was a quick 3 hour smoke. I was curious, I guess.

Yeah idk. I fill up the charcoal basket to the top and never refill it through at least a 12 hr smoke. Wind is a big factor, I hope it’s not this windy tomorrow. I fiddle with the vents every now and then, but usually just glance out the window every hour or so to make sure it’s about in the range.

Did you use the virtual Weber bullet recipe for pastrami? I think I posted about that on here before but that has to be my favorite thing I’ve made on the smoker. I actually had some of that for lunch today from the freezer - the virus has had me taking stock of freezer contents from top to bottom and happened to find some pastrami at the bottom. Small win.

I used a recipe from Amazingribs.com. Took the leftovers today and made a giant pastrami melt. It was awesome.

Yup, went from 5:30am to 5:30pm with no reloads. Tweaks: 6:15am closed all bottom vents to 25% when it reached 225, 12pm refilled water pan, 4:45pm opened up all the vents to break the stall so they’d be ready for dinner. At 5:30pm they were at 195.

I fill the charcoal ring all the way up with unlit briquettes. Then separately light about 30 briquettes in a chimney starter and when they’re fully lit and red, I scatter them on top of that full unlit charcoal ring, put the smoke wood chunks on top and then assemble the smoker. Takes about 30 mins or so to get to temp (or 45 for me this morning) but the slow burn lasts a full 12 hours.

Filled up the ring today and that worked much better. I wasn’t starting with enough fuel. 8 hours in and holding steady at 240. I am pretty happy with that considering the wind is strong today. About to pull these off.

e49aeb1311ab6ccc15cb428b44f9d58b.jpg

I picked up my first BGE on Saturday. After assembly, I did ribs on Sunday that turned out fine, burgers tonight that were phenomenal, and a whole chicken that’s already butterflied and dry brining for tomorrow. I wanted to cook the burgers at about 500, but only got the egg up to 400 with the bottom vent wide open. What am I missing? I thought the charcoal was filled to where it should be, used a couple squares of the BGE starters, and let it get hot with the lid up. Didn’t think I’d be having trouble getting this thing hot.

I picked up my first BGE on Saturday. After assembly, I did ribs on Sunday that turned out fine, burgers tonight that were phenomenal, and a whole chicken that’s already butterflied and dry brining for tomorrow. I wanted to cook the burgers at about 500, but only got the egg up to 400 with the bottom vent wide open. What am I missing? I thought the charcoal was filled to where it should be, used a couple squares of the BGE starters, and let it get hot with the lid up. Didn’t think I’d be having trouble getting this thing hot.

That’s weird. I have no problem getting mine 800+. Are you sure you thermometer is calibrated? Also, what kind of charcoal are you using? Also make sure air holes on fire box aren’t clogged.

Also make sure fire box opening is aligned with lower vent

Using BGE charcoal. I think I’m closing the lid too soon and not letting the fire build enough. When you start the fire, how long do you keep the lid open until closing it and waiting to get up to temp?

If you’re trying to get to really high temps, just leave the lid open for 20+ minutes, then leave top and bottom vents wide open. Careful when you open the lid though - I’ve definitely singed my arm hair off before. Need to “burp” it.

I lit the coals on mine today before a meeting and left the top and bottom vents open for 400 degrees and came back and it was 600 so not sure why you wouldn’t be able to get the temp up to 500.

Back