• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Yeah, they are most definitely connected. Its quite expensive to go on the BBQ Touring circuit, and without big time sponsors they have no guaranteed money. If they dont win, or place well they just wasted sometimes $1,000 to travel and enter the competition.

Its not a set schedule like Nascar, but there are events across the country that the better known cooks travel to on a consistent basis. Most of the time, these guys compete against the same core teams week in and week out.

I'd imagine I'd most likely be doing Boston Butts but I'd like the option to try out some ribs.

It depends on your price point. You can get a ~$50 Brinkman vertical smoker from Lowes, and smoke well with it with some simple modifications. Tuffalo has one of those. This is also the smoker I started out on.
lZzVwupVPTo2jCxTZBN7I3_K0y3LqZjKAPi7ZoZgfE6zhVf6HD7A79PVEo3wrwxiABmlw5eB4JX6XxYqZULSDidQVsHh0jqTcxrj__hL58QCvbi3qCj9uUX6BflS__917wRFxPvOMZMZ3ik7CZE6Cx816BR5wxLdO68tHSUUGz_LbWQiUE1FYdd2gdQl2F_oaM4

For a little more, you can go with an offset smoker. You dont run the risks of flareups like you do with vertical smokers, but you have to rotate your meat due to the higher heat on the firebox side of the smoker.
masterbuilt-charcoal-barrel-smoker-150x150.jpg

For even more, you can pick up a Weber Smokey Mountain. IMO, its one of the most popular smokers out there. Captruss and Racer have those.
41viuJVWg9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Weber and the Brinkman are primarily charcoal smokers, whereas the barrel smoker can be wood or charcoal. Each of those three would be great to start out on. Once you get accustomed to smoking and your preferences, you can then modify or buy a newer/larger/better smoker.

What type of modifications would I need to make to the brink an vertical smoker?

The easiest and cheapest modifications would be to drill a hole in the bottom of the charcoal pan to allow more airflow, and put a grate in there to get the charcoal off the bottom of the pain. Those can be done for less than $10 as long as you or a friend have a drill.

The other thing I would do is remove the generic thermometer on the top. You can buy a nicer thermometer that will give you temperatures. Or you can go deluxe and get a wireless thermometer.

Boston Butt getting smoked on Saturday; maiden voyage for the S.S. Side-Box Smoker.

Can't wait.

Yeah. I've got a drill. Okay. It will be a few weeks before I'm ready to make a purchase bit I'll probably go with the Brinkman.

Yeah it's like $38 on homedepot.com right now. When you say replace the thermometer do you mean put a different one where the included one is?

It's a little late to be asking this but did you preburn it without anything in it first?

Should I? As of 02:00 zulu, it is 18 hours to plate-time Saturday.

P.S, When it comes to smoking, you are the Ben Kenobi, whilst I am the Luke. Respect and deferential gratitude extended.

Last edited:
IMO you should burn it off hot once before you use it to get the leftover residue and lubricants from the building off. It'll occasionally leave a strange taste the first time if you don't.

What type of modifications would I need to make to the brink an vertical smoker?

Don't listen to TSY. He is TOO HANDY!! For less DIY-inclined people, the best option is to get three bricks and a weber Smokey Joe (tiny kettle grill). Assemble the brinkman with the "legs" on the outside of the chamber and just put the brinkman over the assembled and roaring Smokey Joe Kettle.

Smoking Meat Forums should have some pictures. This other forum that I can't vouch for has this thread on the topic.

Back