• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Is anyone planning on getting out there and begin the tailgate the night before the NCSU game?

We'll probably get out there early that morning, but I doubt we'll be there overnight unless its for the ND game.

Trying to slow-cook/smoke a 4 lb pork butt as we speak. Been at it for about 5.5 hours now, and am about to punt and put it in the oven to finish. I feel like I can't keep the grill hot enough. Thoughts?

It's probably a charcoal quantity issue.

I'm replenishing the charcoal every 45 min or so. Couple questions about that:

How much should each replenish be, on proportion to what I started with?

Should I be having to light each replenish load with a match? If not, how do I avoid it?

Last edited:
You can light the charcoal without lighter fluid. Lighter fluid can distort the charcoal flavor. It also makes it easy to add charcoal quickly by lighting it on the side and pouring on the grill when it is hot. Make sense?

Hm, that might work well with my setup. I'll look into one next time. Thanks.

Definitely second what OSD said about the starter. You use newspaper rather than lighter fluid, and it allows you to add already lit coals to the fire rather than having to wait on new coals to light. I honestly can't remember the last time I used lighter fluid on a grill. It seems like no matter what, there's always a slight fluid taste to the meat when using the lighter fluid.

About to pull off some smoked chicken quarters. Rubbed them down with butter and bbq rub, smoked on hickory.

This is my first attempt at chicken, so we'll see how it goes. I ran the smoker a little hot (closer to 300) due to getting such a late start. I don't think they'll be fall apart tender, but they look/smell awesome.

About to pull off some smoked chicken quarters. Rubbed them down with butter and bbq rub, smoked on hickory.

This is my first attempt at chicken, so we'll see how it goes. I ran the smoker a little hot (closer to 300) due to getting such a late start. I don't think they'll be fall apart tender, but they look/smell awesome.

Smoked quarters are good stuff. One time I just used cajun seasoning for the rub... turned out real well.

Threw down some boneless skinless chicken breasts on the kettle last night. I prefer bone-in chicken parts but the wife likes boneless better. Brined for 4 hours before hand so they were pretty darn moist. Cooked to 165F and slathered with a thick homemade BBQ sauce.

Threw down some boneless skinless chicken breasts on the kettle last night. I prefer bone-in chicken parts but the wife likes boneless better. Brined for 4 hours before hand so they were pretty darn moist. Cooked to 165F and slathered with a thick homemade BBQ sauce.

Why is that? My wife is the same way. She hates eating meat off the bone. I personally enjoy the primal rage that is associated with it, and you cant beat the flavor of bone in meat.

Smoked quarters are good stuff. One time I just used cajun seasoning for the rub... turned out real well.

Everything turned out really well. The chicken had GREAT color. I mixed my rub with butter softened to room temperature - the butter helped crisp the outside of the chicken and provide a deep roasted/smoked looking color.

After an hour I basted them with a mixture of whiskey, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire and the rub.

About 80 minutes in, I wrapped them in foil for another 10-15 minutes to get the temp up (it was getting late/dark).

Chicken was perfectly cooked and very, very moist. I had a slight, but observable smoke ring which is always an indication of success IMHO. Perhaps not as "fall off the bone" as true smoked chicken, but a total win all around.

Brine the turkeys overnight and use a light brown colored poultry rub. It really makes a big difference IMO. We did turkeys last New Years and got rave reviews.

Finally, please take pictures.

On facebook, do a search for Riverside BBQ. We've got pics of the New Years turkeys. Sadly we didnt take any pics of the finished product.

Nice. I will def take a few pics.

How do you feel about this recipe, I think I may give it a shot except ill ad some rosemary and slide it along with the garlic under the skin of the bird:
1 (10 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons seasoned salt
1/2 cup butter
2 (12 fluid ounce) cans cola-flavored carbonated beverage
1 apple, quartered
1 onion, quartered
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat smoker to 225 to 250 degrees F (110 to 120 degrees C).
Rinse turkey under cold water, and pat dry. Rub the crushed garlic over the outside of the bird, and sprinkle with seasoned salt. Place in a disposable roasting pan. Fill turkey cavity with butter, cola, apple, onion, garlic powder, salt, and ground black pepper. Cover loosely with foil.
Smoke at 225 to 250 degrees F (110 to 120 degrees C) for 10 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C) when measured in the thickest part of the thigh. Baste the bird every 1 to 2 hours with the juices from the bottom of the roasting pan.

Not a bad recipe, but I against doing it in a pan and covering it with foil. By using that method, it's essentially like cooking it in the oven. You lose so much of the smokey flavor by that method. To me, the smokey flavor is what you are going for in the first place.

you convinced me. I think I am just going to smoke it. I am going to use apple wood chips.

I am also going to brine the turkey overnight tonight.

Back