• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Does anybody have a recommendation for finding whole turkey breasts? The only ones I can find are the Butterball Turkey Breast Roasts which are pieces of turkey breast wrapped in netting.

We smoke up those turkey breast roasts for a couple hours, then toss them in the fryer to finish them at Thanksgiving.

Does anybody have a recommendation for finding whole turkey breasts? The only ones I can find are the Butterball Turkey Breast Roasts which are pieces of turkey breast wrapped in netting.

Fresh market sells them. Haven’t smoked one yet, but sounds like a good idea.

Got up at 5:45 to start my smoker for game day and my son’s second birthday. One of the drawers in my table was filled with standing water. Gloves are covered in mold. Pizza stone shattered. (I may have not been too careful “placing it” in the grass.)

Sent an inarticulate email to the guy that built the table. The drawer is now warped and the bottom wood is shot.

Is there a reason you can't do the baking steel on the gas grill for pizza? If you have a choice for direct grilling, it's always going to be easier and faster to use a gas grill. No starting charcoal, waiting for them to be lit, etc.

A weber kettle is an awesome charcoal grill and a decent smoker. If you are going to keep the spirit for direct grilling, then you might as well get a dedicated smoker.e The WSM is great if you don't want to pay BGE prices. But obviously not in the same category in price and quality.

I have an old Weber Kettle that we use for burgers and dogs when we want that charcoal taste. I am intrigued by smoking. How do I get stared using it as a smoker?

Guy that built my table responded with “I’m surprised you’d leave a table that expensive in the rain.”

Where the f*** am I supposed to keep my table. It’s got a 400 pound f****** grill in it.

It has a cover.

Guy that built my table responded with “I’m surprised you’d leave a table that expensive in the rain.”

Where the f*** am I supposed to keep my table. It’s got a 400 pound f****** grill in it.

It has a cover.

Was it a failure of the cover then?

We had a storm come in unexpectedly when I was using it one day. It never occurred to me that the drawers would be designed in a way that would retain water.

I’m just going to drill some small holes in the corners to prevent this from happening again.

That is unfortunate. I’ve been shopping around for a table and will keep that issue in mind.

Bump for Thanksgiving. I'm going to smoke a turkey on one of the kamados. I might use the following recipe, but am interested in opinions on the type of wood to use. This guy uses pecan, (which I have) but I also have cherry, apple, and hickory.

https://howtobbqright.com/smokeaturkey.html

well I know I posted about not breaking the bank on a BGE or the like but last weekend my mom handed me a check that came from her selling our piano -- she divided it among my sisters and me since we all hated playing it as a kid and she insisted we blow it on something for ourselves. ironically, I've been thinking that I wished how I kept up with music, but I digress.

so now looking at the Kamado Joe vs BGE and it seems like that for the money the KJ is more cost-effective since it includes a few things you'd have to pay separately for on a BGE and has some design features that seem to make it a bit more advanced. looking at the Classic Joe II. Any owners out there?

Bump for Thanksgiving. I'm going to smoke a turkey on one of the kamados. I might use the following recipe, but am interested in opinions on the type of wood to use. This guy uses pecan, (which I have) but I also have cherry, apple, and hickory.

https://howtobbqright.com/smokeaturkey.html

I prefer fruit-wood with Turkey and typically use apple. I find that hickory flavor can overwhelm the bird.

well I know I posted about not breaking the bank on a BGE or the like but last weekend my mom handed me a check that came from her selling our piano -- she divided it among my sisters and me since we all hated playing it as a kid and she insisted we blow it on something for ourselves. ironically, I've been thinking that I wished how I kept up with music, but I digress.

so now looking at the Kamado Joe vs BGE and it seems like that for the money the KJ is more cost-effective since it includes a few things you'd have to pay separately for on a BGE and has some design features that seem to make it a bit more advanced. looking at the Classic Joe II. Any owners out there?

They're pretty equal in build quality, so go with the Joe.

What about the oval one? I've heard good things...

I own a BGE and love it. I'm sure a Joe is fine and very comparable. I'd get the XL (BGE size) unless you live by yourself. I own a L and often find myself wishing I had just a hair more space for some cooks where I feed more than a few folks.

Last edited:
I own a BGE and love it. I'm sure a Joe is fine and very comparable. I'd get the XL (BGE size) unless you live by yourself. I own a L and often find myself wishing I had just a hair more space for some cooks where I feed more than a few folks.

I have the XL and it’s a great size.

I have a L and a S, which seems to work pretty well
XL for sure is better if you're generally entertaining, but if you're cooking for 2-4 people a few times a week an XL is overkill
The L is what I use the vast majority of the time, but I'll break out the small as well when entertaining or cooking a few different things.

I've got a medium BGE and it works great for us, but the majority of the time I am just cooking for two.

I got a great deal buying from a buddy. If I was buying new would probably go for the large to make it easier to do things like a whole turkey (which is was able to ultimately get on the medium) or a full packer brisket.

Back