• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Pork and brisket are two different beasts. Expect a learning curve on Brisket.

I’m 0-2 on brisket on the grill. It was a pain getting the temp consistent in the grill and the brisket came out tough even with three different thermometers in at the same time.

Has anybody used a rotisserie attachment on a brisket? The rotisserie burner is consistent. I could use the attachment or just put it on the grill. I want to try one more before giving up.

Pork and brisket are two different beasts. Expect a learning curve on Brisket.

I am. This was more about learning how to use my egg for temperature consistency.

It dropped to 190 when I woke up this morning but was able to get it back between 225 and 250.

I’m 0-2 on brisket on the grill. It was a pain getting the temp consistent in the grill and the brisket came out tough even with three different thermometers in at the same time.

Has anybody used a rotisserie attachment on a brisket? The rotisserie burner is consistent. I could use the attachment or just put it on the grill. I want to try one more before giving up.

Grill? Or smoker? What was the temp when you pulled it off?

I made brisket on my old smoker once and it kinda sucked. It was just a flat and I didn’t crutch it so it was dry. Now that I have a WSM I may try again with a full packer but that will be an expensive mistake if it comes out kinda sucky again.

I started the curing process today to make homemade pastrami with a brisket flat. I’ll let it cure for a week then smoke it next weekend. The whole kitchen smells like fresh ground pepper now, it’s awesome.

Grill? Or smoker? What was the temp when you pulled it off?

I made brisket on my old smoker once and it kinda sucked. It was just a flat and I didn’t crutch it so it was dry. Now that I have a WSM I may try again with a full packer but that will be an expensive mistake if it comes out kinda sucky again.

Grill. I pulled it off at the right temp. The fat didn’t melt and it was just tough and chewy.

Just pulled this pork butt off the grill. Did it on my Weber gas with a pack of hickory chips.
g5fvlaq

kRfLhFW.jpg

Last edited:
Just pulled this pork butt off the grill. Did it on my Weber gas with a pack of hickory chips.

Did you re-season after you pulled it off? Kind of weird that your rub/seasoning isnt scorching. The idea is to have a mix of rub, oil and/or paste that burns into a bark.

You aren't going to be able to cook brisket on a grill. Maaaybe with a gas grill if you have a hot side and and cold side with the meat on the cold side. If you arent getting any smoke on it though, like hardwood chunks and charcoal, you might as well just put it in the oven.

It’s a gas grill with the brisket on the cool side and chunks smoking on the hot side.

I think the farthest I’d be willing to go on a gas grill for smoking is ribs because those don’t take that long. Feel like I’d be fighting temperatures the whole time for a longer smoke like brisket or pork butt.

One thing that could help keep temperatures in check when “smoking” in a gas grill (if you’re fighting overheating) is a water pan placed opposite your food on the burners. That’ll absorb a ton of heat to convert to steam and you can just refill it periodically.

Yep. Used the water pan too.

I started the curing process today to make homemade pastrami with a brisket flat. I’ll let it cure for a week then smoke it next weekend. The whole kitchen smells like fresh ground pepper now, it’s awesome.

I’m sure everyone here was very curious but the pastrami turned out great after smoking it yesterday. Very peppery, almost reminiscent of Jack Links extra pepper beef jerky if you eat it by itself. But I sliced it thin for sandwiches, heated it up and put it on rye with Swiss cheese and deli mustard and it kills.

Recipe I used is at this link: https://virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html

Given the effort involved and overall cost for what amounts to about 4 weeks of sandwiches it’s not an everyday thing for the smoker rotation but it was very successful and I’ll have to do it every once in a while.

Didn’t do that. Do you braise then wrap?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes...ang-serious-barbecue-beef-brisket-recipe.html

Look at the link starting at #4.

There are arguments for and against wrapping, but if you are not on a real smoker, and if you are getting dry results, then you probably need to.

You basically cook the brisket until 165 or so, and then pull it, and place it on butcher paper or I use a double coat of aluminum foil. You nestle the brisket in the foil (make a nest so it doesnt leak, like if you were wrapping a baked potato in foil to cook in oven), then pour a wrapping mixture over the meat (can be really anything, but usually its some sort of mixture of melted butter, brown sugar, apple juice, beer, whatever). Again you want it to be basically sealed so no mixture leaks out (fine to puncture the top with a thermometer probe), and then you put it back on your smoker/grill until it gets to 200 or so.

The wrapping mixture sealed in the foil braises the meat for the last 3-4 hours of cook, preventing dryness.

I just got a masterbuilt electric smoker woot. Excited to read through this for tips and recipes. Does anyone try to make eastern style bbq? And can you get a close approximation to it just doing a shoulder instead of whole hog?

I just got a masterbuilt electric smoker woot. Excited to read through this for tips and recipes. Does anyone try to make eastern style bbq? And can you get a close approximation to it just doing a shoulder instead of whole hog?

Yeah, just do a shoulder and use an eastern mop/sauce.

Back