• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Smoking a butt for Father's Day on my Frankenstein smoker. I added an extra section from an old vertical smoker to simulate a WSM. So far, it working quite well.
c0ceccae3fcc97821b8f5c9e37525ad0.jpg
190a0887b32c687491c474244227ff72.jpg

Wife got me a BGE for Fathers Day / Housewarming.

Unfortunately we are traveling next weekend. Can’t wait to use it.

First smoke of the season for me; got a pork butt and some ribs on the WSM

I have collected all the ingredients I need to home cure and smoke my own pastrami, except for a brisket flat. I doubt those ever go on sale so I hope I don’t mess this up. otherwise it will be a $35 mistake.

I have collected all the ingredients I need to home cure and smoke my own pastrami, except for a brisket flat. I doubt those ever go on sale so I hope I don’t mess this up. otherwise it will be a $35 mistake.

Where can you buy just the flat? I'm sure many places do that, but I've only ever bought the combined flat/point from Costco

Every grocery store has crappy flats. At my local Kroger, they even have pre packaged flats with the corned beef marinade/peppercorns included. Or maybe I just live in a city where there is a jewish population. who knows.

I think I am BGEd out. They only thing I smoke/grill on the BGE anymore are tritip, baby backs and like really nice steaks (my local whole foods sometimes has dry aged strips and ribeyes, if I cop one of those Im using the egg instead of the webber gas). Otherwise, I just dont have the patience or time. The only thing I may do (but I meant to do this the last 2 years and didnt get my shit together in time), is order like a giant wagyu brisket and cook for like xmas or nyears. I still have never smoked a really nice brisket.

Also does anyone have a Trompo King?

Its like $100.00 and it is just a vertical skewer; you just pile stuff on there like you would on a vertical rotisserie at a doner kebab joint. They claim it is good for smoking schwarma, al pastor tacos, etc, although the videos I have seen arent really convincing. It looks like it would just be a giant mess. Anybody used one?

Trompo_King___17571.1550318728.jpg

20181001_TrompoKing2.jpg.8c0049abfb1efe9c6d19ce58e  5c28ac5.jpg

Every grocery store has crappy flats. At my local Kroger, they even have pre packaged flats with the corned beef marinade/peppercorns included. Or maybe I just live in a city where there is a jewish population. who knows.

Yeah every grocery store has flats but they’re $6-7 a pound.

You can also use the prepackaged corned beef to make pastrami (don’t use the corned beef spices) and skip the whole home curing part but where’s the fun in that?

I’m doing my first overnight smoke tonight to prepare for football season. Does anybody have any good tips?

I’m doing a pork butt on the BGE and will likely be up early with the baby.

I’m doing my first overnight smoke tonight to prepare for football season. Does anybody have any good tips?

Make sure you've got enough beer to cover an all night smoke.

What are you making? If it’s pork butt it is pretty forgiving when it comes to temperature fluctuations. Which should be minimal on a BGE anyway once you get the temperature locked in.

Point being that I bet you can go back to bed after getting it up and running.

When do you need it done by? Overnights with Pork Butts reallllllly aren't necessary unless you're just dying to do it. Turbo works just as well. As long as you don't need it before 3pm just wake up at 6am and do it.

If you do go the overnight route, make sure you have enough lump in there to start. Fill all the way up to the fire ring or whatever they call it. I ran out on my first overnight, lesson learned.

Thanks. I’m really doing it just to learn how. My brothers new girlfriend doesn’t do pork so I’m planning on trying a brisket soon. I’d rather learn any lessons with the $12 publix pork butt than a brisket. Plan on putting it on at like 10 or 11.

Pork and brisket are two different beasts. Expect a learning curve on Brisket.

Back