• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

A large pork butt will be the easiest thing to make for that size party.

Gonna be honest, that's what I had in mind from the start.

Can I get a run down of best place to buy, expected cooking time, and anything else that I'll need? Appreciate it

(Im a n00b, just got the BGE a few weeks back as a wedding gift. Only gas grills up until this point)

Gonna be honest, that's what I had in mind from the start.

Can I get a run down of best place to buy, expected cooking time, and anything else that I'll need? Appreciate it

Around here, Costco/Sams, and try to get the bone in butt. If you buy a Smithfield butt at the local grocery store, chances are its been injected with phosphates and will be overly salty and dry out if you add a dry rub.

If you're at Sams, Weber has some pretty good starter pork rubs. Try one of those if its your first time. Usually I cook my butts at 300 for 6-8 hours depending on how quickly its cooking. If I'm using a stick burner, I wont wrap, but if I use a charcoal smoker, I wrap once the meat reaches 140 degrees as it no longer takes on smoke flavor once the meat reaches that temperature.

If it is your first butt on BGE I might not serve that one to the inlaws.

good advice, but they'll get over it

Around here, Costco/Sams, and try to get the bone in butt. If you buy a Smithfield butt at the local grocery store, chances are its been injected with phosphates and will be overly salty and dry out if you add a dry rub.

If you're at Sams, Weber has some pretty good starter pork rubs. Try one of those if its your first time. Usually I cook my butts at 300 for 6-8 hours depending on how quickly its cooking. If I'm using a stick burner, I wont wrap, but if I use a charcoal smoker, I wrap once the meat reaches 140 degrees as it no longer takes on smoke flavor once the meat reaches that temperature.

Thanks for this. What are the recommendations for meat thermometers?

Thanks for this. What are the recommendations for meat thermometers?

I started out with just a standard meat thermometer and would probe it every so often. Until you get the hang of things, I wouldnt spend a lot of money on one. Plus your first few smokes, you're going to take the lid off more than you need to anyways, so you might as well probe it while you're inspecting the meat. Its just human nature.

How did they work out?
Used one for the first time tonight. I had planned to use both, but they required an update at 10 min each, and ain't nobody got time for that. So....I only used one.

It actually worked really well. My only complaint was I was using the Bluetooth from the probe and it kept disconnecting. I left my phone beside the grill and it worked fine. Alerted me when it was time to pull off and rest. I was cooking a large steak for my wife and daughter, at a medium temperature. The big mistake was the wifey covered the finished steaks rather than let them rest openly. As a result, the steaks ended up a little over cooked. Overall, I liked them, just need to get a few cooks under my belt to work out the kinks.

Two 8.5 lb butts, fired up the egg at 3:15am. Meat went on at 4:10am. Dinner served at 7:30pm. Thanks for the suggestions.

Trying to regulate the temp, Zusi keeping watch for the Red Fox that tracks through our back yard every night

44932454_10160928861160534_2896916829396008960_n.jpg

Turned into a beautiful morning

44920427_10160928861260534_651664744893120512_n.jpg

Before wrapping

44782575_10160928861010534_4924058826656710656_n.jpg

Final product

44959177_10160928861340534_1439265921964179456_n.jpg

Made two mistakes: 1. Ran out of charcoal around 3:30pm, had to take everything out and restock and 2. It was a surprise party so I pulled the meat 10 minutes before their ETA to be involved in the surprise factor. They ended up being 30 minutes late so I lost some moisture in the meat. Fun process though, learned a lot!

Last edited:
Did you cover the meat once you pulled it? Usually I'll add some dip and cover the meat until its ready to serve, and it stays nice, warm, and moist.

Need some help - I've been nominated to smoke a brisket for Thanksgiving. There will be 15 people attending and there will also be turkey and ham served. I'll be cooking on a Vision kamado (BGE clone)

I've smoked butts, picnics, ribs, turkeys and chicken on the kamado, but have never done a brisket before. My preliminary plan is to buy a 10 lb packer's cut brisket and cook it at 225 to an internal temp of 200. Remove it and let it rest in a cooler for 60+ minutes before slicing. I'll oil it beforehand and use a commercial rub (Code 3's 5-0), but what wood should I use? I have hickory, pecan, apple and cherry on hand and can get post oak, which seems to be the preferred wood for brisket. Also, do you folks inject a brisket?

Thoughts? Have I left anything out?

edit: do you trim the brisket?

Last edited:
I ended up not smoking or grilling anything with them last weekend, but I did link them to the app. The block and the probe links separately, which I suppose is a function of the extended range. We're doing steaks tonight, so I'm hoping to give them a shot.

any review on these probes?

Need some help - I've been nominated to smoke a brisket for Thanksgiving. There will be 15 people attending and there will also be turkey and ham served. I'll be cooking on a Vision kamado (BGE clone)

I've smoked butts, picnics, ribs, turkeys and chicken on the kamado, but have never done a brisket before. My preliminary plan is to buy a 10 lb packer's cut brisket and cook it at 225 to an internal temp of 200. Remove it and let it rest in a cooler for 60+ minutes before slicing. I'll oil it beforehand and use a commercial rub (Code 3's 5-0), but what wood should I use? I have hickory, pecan, apple and cherry on hand and can get post oak, which seems to be the preferred wood for brisket. Also, you you folks inject a brisket?

There are some videos of Aaron Franklin breaking down how to trim a brisket. That’s all I’ve got. I’ve never done brisket and that’s my next project.

Spatchcocked the bird this year in an effort to cut the cook time - 17# bird, over apple and mesquite wood.

3dbdeda582bbc5eb94283f06b01c0fda.jpg

I did an 8.5 and 9 lb butt on the BGE instead of Turkey this year. Turned out much better than the two I smoked last month. 2nd time around was much easier than the first

I've smoked butts, picnics, ribs, turkeys and chicken on the kamado, but have never done a brisket before. My preliminary plan is to buy a 10 lb packer's cut brisket and cook it at 225 to an internal temp of 200. Remove it and let it rest in a cooler for 60+ minutes before slicing. I'll oil it beforehand and use a commercial rub (Code 3's 5-0), but what wood should I use? I have hickory, pecan, apple and cherry on hand and can get post oak, which seems to be the preferred wood for brisket. Also, do you folks inject a brisket?

How did it turn out?

any review on these probes?
I had the damndest time getting both probes to sync simultaneously. I finally tried just one probe and haven't had a problem. It tracks the progress of internal temp and ambient temperature in a graph which is nice. Now that I'm getting the hang of using just one, I really like it.
74e82c1bf0e47068f2a2197645c40c4f.jpg

The huge dip in ambient temperature is when we changed out the coals. The Mrs got a new type of lump charcoal from Sam's and it's absolute shit. It's from Mexico and the coals are 1" diameter branches that don't last long at all. I have a feeling I'm going to have to change the coals once more before the end of the cook.

I miss my stick burner, and can't wait until I build the new smoker on the firetruck.
df38c951ea385ecb1117209ea79554ee.jpg

First time using a Weber Smokey Mountain today with an 8lb pork shoulder for dinner that’s been on since early this morning. The difference between using this and my other smoker (modded el cheapo Brinkmann) is night and day. Today I have visited the smoker just a couple times since putting the meat on to slightly adjust vents to dial in temps. With the other one I’d be having to feed it coals and smoke wood every 20 mins or so.

Smoked wings in my gas grill for the first time last week. I’ve read a bunch about using pellets or sticks or chips in smoker boxes. I just went with well soaked chunks in a cast iron skillet. It worked great.

Back