• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

1c cider vinegar
1T brown sugar
1t salt
1t your rub
1t red pepper flakes
A little cayenne

And customize from there. Damn it now I am very hungry.

Was supposed to do three turkey breasts this weekend for my wife’s office holiday party.

Got everything thawed only to find out the butterball turkey breast was parts of meat wrapped up in netting.

Any recommendations for a boneless whole turkey breast?

Was supposed to do three turkey breasts this weekend for my wife’s office holiday party.

Got everything thawed only to find out the butterball turkey breast was parts of meat wrapped up in netting.

Any recommendations for a boneless whole turkey breast?

You got the turkey roasts. We smoke those then fry them for Thanksgiving. They turn out pretty good. Probably better just smoked though.

Working on my first brisket today, got a nice little 5lb flat on the egg.

Anyone have any go to BBQ sauce recipes?
7a01837d5a5ccc1db092e3f97464e41f.jpg

The Aaron Franklin sauce was solid and easy. Made some quick pickles as our side and some white bread.

Brisket tasted good but dried out on me a bit. Will definitely try again though, perhaps shoot for a full packer.

Now gotta decide what to do with the leftovers.
d91eea1e4c7833b570cdfb778354c5bb.jpg
aaf13794f40a130771a3b6dd995cc737.jpg

The Aaron Franklin sauce was solid and easy. Made some quick pickles as our side and some white bread.

Brisket tasted good but dried out on me a bit. Will definitely try again though, perhaps shoot for a full packer.

Now gotta decide what to do with the leftovers.
d91eea1e4c7833b570cdfb778354c5bb.jpg
aaf13794f40a130771a3b6dd995cc737.jpg

Leftover brisket is great in chili

Brisket is by far the hardest meat to smoke, IMO. I can do a Butt with my eyes closed (hehe), smoke wings that rival any restaurant, and have perfected homemade Pizza, but I have yet to make a brisket that I rate as great or above. Whole bunch of meh so far

Slightly off topic of course but what other ways would you all recommend cooking a brisket besides smoking?

Slightly off topic of course but what other ways would you all recommend cooking a brisket besides smoking?

Pastrami! Still smoking for a little bit, but shorter time and higher heat.

And if you don’t want to smoke it, then skip that step and you have corned beef instead. Win-win.

Anybody done a pork crown roast? Planning to smoke one for NYE and looking for some first hand experience.

how'd it turn out

Great - 10/10 would make again.

Had a little trouble keeping my WSM in where I wanted it temp wise; was shooting for 325-350, but was hanging out more like 300-325 so after about an hour 45 minutes, I threw it in the oven at 350 to finish it. I was very happy with how it turned out as it was one of my better smokes of recent memory.

Got a butt on the smoker this morning. Should be ready in time for the NFC Championship. Didn’t plan on smoking anything this weekend but Kroger had a crazy sale - 8lb butt @ $.50/lb.

97253caa678dc68ef745acef8bf2fb1f.jpg

I have had my my WSM for over six years and used a side by side smoker for three years before that. I think I have reached the point where I am tired of messing\monitoring the smoker all day long. Any suggestions on a pellet smoker? I have done a good amount of research and don’t want a big pellet smoker. I plan on keeping my gas grill for steaks, burgers, brats, etc. just would like your suggestion on what pellet smokers you guys might have what you like about them.

Back