• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Smoking Meat Forums really is a great place. I learned so much over there over the years.

I completely destructed the trailer today. Hopefully I'll have it put back together later this week, but it's all bones right now. The smoker is heavy as hell.

Maiden voyage After-action report: "For God and Country, Geronimo! Geronimo! Geronimo!"

Unbelievable. I now know what the big deal about smoking food has been all of these years.

Bridging Pit threads, I smoked a beer-can chicken using homebrew (Irish Red, FTW) and it was legendary. Took longer than I thought, but the payoff was twice as sweet.

Anyone on the fence about going from grilling to smoking needs to take the plunge. Modest investment yields huge rewards.

pics-or-it-didnt-happen.jpg

Congrats on your first smoke. We do need some shots of the Q-View though. How long did you smoke, at what temp and did you go with straight charcoal or did you use some flavoring wood?

Bought a Brinkmann electric smoker today at a yard sale for next to nothing. Are they worth a shit?

They're great for keeping a low, even temperature, but you'll have to come up with ways to flavor the smoke. They heat up the wood without burning it entirely.

It's in amazing condition and was $15. I'm sure I'll get good use out of it. 3 grills/smokers on my back deck looks badass.

OK Thread, how do I season wood? I have a bunch of oak logs that need to dry out for like a million months. How do I keep bugs away from them and make sure they don't rot? What if there are ants on them already?

Keep them off the ground and make sure there is good airflow around them. Many people store them on wire shelves in their garage.

Keep them off the ground and make sure there is good airflow around them. Many people store them on wire shelves in their garage.

Word. That's what I'm thinking of. Gonna go to Lowes or Ace and get some shelving units. Just worried about letting any bugs in.

The guys I've seen do it in the past havent mentioned anything about bug problems. If you have the space, it's a really cheap option. Mine has to sit outside in the weather, but unless I build a storage building, no way I could store all mine in the dry.

The guys I've seen do it in the past havent mentioned anything about bug problems. If you have the space, it's a really cheap option. Mine has to sit outside in the weather, but unless I build a storage building, no way I could store all mine in the dry.

The garage is just 200ish sq ft of perfect space for anything I want. It's nice to have.

Bump

I've been assigned a Dinner Impossible Challenge....7 racks of baby backs, 1 9lb brisket, and 1 8lb pork butt by 6pm tomorrow. The weather's not looking too friendly in the 27103, and all I have to work with is a WSM, Weber 22.5" kettle, Weber gas grill and a 10x10 tailgating tent. Fire starts at 10pm with brisket being served for lunch (leftovers to be used as an ingredient for tomorrow night's meal). This mission will be a test of timing and retaining heat. Signature rib sauce already made. Keg of hefeweizen to arrive by 1pm. Stay tuned.....

Captruss, do you have the smoker boxes to indirectly cook on the 22.5" kettle? Good luck, and take lots of pictures.

Back