• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Can you teach me your ways before Friday?

Can you teach me your ways before Friday?

Wet Brine for thawed 12 pound turkey. Brine for 24 hours. I use an extra large Ziploc bag.

1/2 c real maple syrup
1 c packed brown sugar
2 c Kosher salt (cut in half if turkey is pre injected)
2 qt. apple juice
3 sliced oranges, squeezed
1 qt. vegetable broth
4 oz sliced fresh ginger
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 qt water (more if needed to submerge turkey)
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary

Remove turkey from brine and let drain.

Rub turkey with softened herb butter on and under the skin. Be careful not to tear skin.

Herb Butter
1 stick softened butter
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp chopped fresh sage
1 large garlic clove, minced

smoke at 250, 30-40 minutes per pound

Big thing to keep it moist is butter under skin and inject with a lot of moisture. I like apple cider vinegar and citrus juice combo. I also dry brine and have found that better for retaining moisture than anything. After a certain temp it’s not taking on any more smoke so you can always move to oven to finish up.

Usually I do a lemon herb turkey because we have a lemon tree and herb garden. I’ll probably just stick with that using apple wood. Lemon juice, olive oil, spices, and fresh herb injection and butter herb under the skin.

A friend has asked me to smoke a prime rib roast for him. I am guessing I will do it the same way I smoke a tri-tip with a reverse sear after getting it up to 145, but looking for other suggestions too.

bfc05899a212989aeddd32061a0f0b46.jpg

Smoked a smaller brisket yesterday. Turned out great.

Anybody have experience making a warranty claim with BGE?

My firebox is broken in two places and the fire grate won’t sit how it’s supposed to.

Yeah a trimmed St. Louis rack definitely won’t take 6 hrs but conceptually the 3-2-1 is solid, I’ve been using that method for a while and never messed up a rack.

Just rubbed up 2 pork shoulders to smoke on the WSM tomorrow while I spread mulch. Sucks that it’ll be 30 degrees tomorrow am (in April!) when I get up to light the coals.

I've got half a pack of Costco wings in the smoker. 2/3 with a chipotle garlic rub to be tossed in some Cheerwine BBQ sauce my wife found (smells sweeeeeeeet), and the rest will be dry lemon pepper. Love wings when you want to smoke, but don't have the time.

A friend just bought one a few days ago. He is excited to try it. How often do you guys clean your grates on the smoker?

Back