• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The ACC - 2018-19 Basketball

Lol. Hope springs eternal.

I didn’t realize I was being Pollyanna by thinking we could compete for the 8-11 slots in the ACC that were either 8-10 or 9-9 last year.

I mean, it took some terrible basketball to go 4-14 last season. I expect the ACC to be at least a little worse next year. Getting to 8 or 9 wins wouldn’t be cause for celebration.

I didn’t realize I was being Pollyanna by thinking we could compete for the 8-11 slots in the ACC that were either 8-10 or 9-9 last year.

I mean, it took some terrible basketball to go 4-14 last season. I expect the ACC to be at least a little worse next year. Getting to 8 or 9 wins wouldn’t be cause for celebration.

Without Doral, that will take some things going our way.

From the recruiting thread last month:

SJM heading to San Jose State. Good luck to him.

Perhaps he'll take a stab at getting his shit together out there.

Things can get a little dicey for a young athlete out west. If anyone is cut out for it, it's big Sam.

Maybe he can get a good slice of it.

Bottom line: We aren't very funny. Twice.

Hopefully at this point we don't lose anyone else.

Doral fucked us so damn hard but still no excuses..gotta have a backup plan. If Brown and Sarr make a big leap, which they should, then I believe ATS could be correct that we'll battle it out for the 8 thru 10 spot in conference.

I still don't understand where Doral (or even Crawford) is going to go. G-League and try to work his way in, or just hit the international circuit early?

Considering our high water mark in the post Gaudio era is 10th place. Good thing you are not putting your opportunity to post on the line. We would miss you if you had.

It is being pollyanna. We are going to royally suck. We lost at least 1 of our 2 best players from last year, and at least 3 of our top 6. Meanwhile, we replace them with only 2 guys who have a chance to contribute next year.

Our only hope would be to rely upon coaching to carry us above the other teams. Let me know how that works out.

Considering our high water mark in the post Gaudio era is 10th place. Good thing you are not putting your opportunity to post on the line. We would miss you if you had.

lol

I'm trying to remain optimistic, even though there is a lot of evidence that Manning isn't the guy.

I know it is the very definition of insanity, but I feel like one of these years the team should outperform the sum of its parts (as opposed to inventing new ways to lose). Of course, that's easier to do when you have a good coach. It's probably silly, but I am pretty much just dismissing last year's awful results and hoping it was based on poor chemistry, zero production at PF, and/or a bad start snowballing into a train wreck of a season as the team's confidence disappeared. Some new personnel, some growth from our existing roster (and staff), and maybe we can not suck as bad.

I still think the best outcome would be for Manning to "figure it out"... But I'm definitely in favor of moving on if he fails again this year.

NCSU & Auburn playing a home and home the next 2 years (2018 & 19).

Struggling to come up w/ a name for the series...

Improper Benefits Benefit?
Coaches vs. Ethics Classic?

Go Hokies, I guess. I enjoy having UVA tickets and watching Tech improve. That's about all I can say about the ACC these days. And though I've never liked Louisville, I'm kinda hoping Mack and Dino do a good job with them. I'd like to see Skip's proteges succeed.

This guy has the following ACC schools in his top 25 for next year:

3. Duke
7. UVA
8. U*NC
14. VT
16. Cuse (only if Battle stays - and by the way nbadraft.net does not have Battle in its latest projection)
19. Clem
20. FSU

It's pretty interesting to look at some of the newer coaches in the ACC that are having relatively quick success and see how they did it. Both Buzz and Keatts are moving in the right direction, and they started off their tenures going the transfer route. Seems to me this may be the new way to revitalize a program - getting experienced guys to bring you success early in your new coaching job to sell to recruits. Building from the ground up by going after new recruits/incoming freshman seems like a much riskier play.

This guy has the following ACC schools in his top 25 for next year:

3. Duke
7. UVA
8. U*NC
14. VT
16. Cuse (only if Battle stays - and by the way nbadraft.net does not have Battle in its latest projection)
19. Clem
20. FSU

I have to think Battle is gone. He got an invite to the NBA Draft Combine and he's shown up in the first round of some recent mock drafts (nbadraft.net not withstanding).

Biggest question marks for me are Okogie, Bowman, and Crawford.

Back