• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The ACC - 2018-19 Basketball

And yet people think Keatts is a great coach?

I thought everyone is burying the NCSU program and the shadiness that Gott brought to it? Isn't it a good thing that Keatts is cleaning house? I can't keep up with the narratives anymore.

The narrative I am pushing when I keep mentioning the roster turnover at NCSU is to highlight that there are unique circumstances to every program.

Roster turnover, by itself, doesn’t mean a program is necessarily struggling or falling apart.

Could also argue that the college game has a lot of issues right now with transfers, one and dones, and illegal payments. Things done changed.

It’s kind of obvious, but a ton of roster turnover after year 1 is a very different thing than a ton of roster turnover after year 4.

Entertaining the idea that what is going on at State or Wake is somehow normal is one of the problems. We are becoming innured to the broken state of College Basketball. It has become a joke. $Billion Dollar business where the players get shafted, coaches get rich, black market with agents chasing the money, shoe companies paying club coaches, meaningless conference tournaments, one and dones, meaningless regular season, foul fests, etc etc. We need to go the way of the Olympics and just pay players to reign in the black market everyone knows exists. The Golden Age of ACC basketball when an ACC tournament was the toughest ticket in sports are a long way in the rear view mirror. Let's just admit the whole think is a farce ant at least try to fix it. College football is crushing basketball because for some reason the participating teams follow a more uniform structure in their processes.

Entertaining the idea that what is going on at State or Wake is somehow normal is one of the problems. We are becoming innured to the broken state of College Basketball. It has become a joke. $Billion Dollar business where the players get shafted, coaches get rich, black market with agents chasing the money, shoe companies paying club coaches, meaningless conference tournaments, one and dones, meaningless regular season, foul fests, etc etc. We need to go the way of the Olympics and just pay players to reign in the black market everyone knows exists. The Golden Age of ACC basketball when an ACC tournament was the toughest ticket in sports are a long way in the rear view mirror. Let's just admit the whole think is a farce ant at least try to fix it. College football is crushing basketball because for some reason the participating teams follow a more uniform structure in their processes.

That is partially a function of numbers of players. Football requires 22 players (11 D, 11 O) so changing three is less than 15% change. Three new basketball players is 60% change on both D and O. Also the NFL won't draft players until 3 years after HS, while NBA only waits one year. FB players have to spend at least half their years of eligibility in school. BB players only 1/4.

Football players have to function together because of the nature of the game. Football offense is all about getting more offensive players around the ball at least for a short time, than there are defenders. There is very, very limited "one on one" in FB. Only one I can think of is DB vs receiver in man coverage.

Basketball is based a lot on individual matchups. The team objective is all about creating favorable matchups for your guys, with the best (for the offense) being an unguarded shooter.

GT loses 3 starters and top 3 scorers (in total points) from last year's 13-19 (6-12) team. They return Jose Alvarado, and no other returning Jackets' player averaged more than 5.9 points a game last year.

Pitt, GT, and BC are all gonna be terrible this season.

Okogie staying in the draft.

Which is good decision for him - it's a thin draft for 3&D wings and he's just proven what an elite athlete he is at the combine, along with a nice shooting stroke he has always had. He's going to play a long time and get paid many $$'s.

GT basketball is going to suck something fierce though :tard:

Biggest wild cards remaining are Battle, Bowman, and Crawford.

I guess Dorn and Maye haven’t confirmed anything, but most expect them back.

UNC manages to get their best players to stay. That’s the key to winning.

You’ve said that numerous times before. I still don’t think it is anything other than an aberration. I’d need to be convinced it’s a strategy, because the narrative that they recruit flawed guys in order to keep them In college is silly.

Tony Bradley left last year after one year because he could.

They’ve got 2 one and done guys coming in. That’ll help them be good. I’ll eat my proverbial hat if either of them stick around more than a year.

Maye will come back because he has no shot at being drafted. Crawford should, too. Moore should have and didn’t.

“the narrative that they recruit flawed guys in order to keep them In college is silly.”

It is silly. That’s why I’ve never said that.

I have said that I think Roy does a good job of convincing his players to stay an extra year after they become draft prospects and getting one year from players who under the old system would have gotten drafted out of HS. Been that way since Roy got three years out of Felton, McCants, May and we got two out of Chris Paul.

“the narrative that they recruit flawed guys in order to keep them In college is silly.”

It is silly. That’s why I’ve never said that.

I have said that I think Roy does a good job of convincing his players to stay an extra year after they become draft prospects and getting one year from players who under the old system would have gotten drafted out of HS. Been that way since Roy got three years out of Felton, McCants, May and we got two out of Chris Paul.

People have made that argument in the past... I thought you were one of them.

I certainly agree that it helps to keep your good players around for as long as possible.

That is in part because the Carolina basketball experience is a fun one. Wake's isn't. We play home games in front of 2-4K people in a stadium 5 times that size. Can you imagine how humiliating that must be for the players? I mean this is your big moment, the one you have practiced and dreamed of and no one is there.

Our AD has been checked out for 2 decades publicly and thinks he is a corporate suit. Yesterday we have graduation and a woman win an NCAA title. Hey, Ron, think it might be a good day to head up to the quad and take your picture with a few student athletes and put it up on twitter like every other AD in the country?

Playing in this environment just isn't good. We can't get players--and then we can't keep them. They would rather play for the Greensboro Swarm and not get a degree. It is that bad.

Duke & UNC are putting up Instagram hype videos for every game with hashtags like #TheBrotherhood and #CarolinaFamily. This generation of kids eat it up and want to be part of it.

Ron still believes the internet is a fad. Occassionaly we get a black and gold still pic on Wake’s IGram reminding us of gametime and the location of the Joel.

Our alums laugh and say these little things don’t matter. That’s why their businesses suck too.

Back