• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Ultimate Snowflakes

Good Facebook response from columnist Chris Ladd to that Town Hall article.

“I grew up in the South, so all I can about this is "where have ya'll been?" All that's happened is that Southern Conservatives finally completed their switch from the Democratic to Republican Party. In the Democratic Party, they were a subordinate partner sharing power with dozens of interests. In the GOP, they found themselves completely in charge. Now they're stretching their wings.”

They’ve found a Republican Party establishment that either lacks the balls to disagree with them or simply agrees with them.

Lol. I’ll some this post up: it’s not ok when Trump does it, but it’s ok when our team does it because Trump does it.

False equivalency. Your team gets offended by far less than what Trump does.

False equivalency. Your team gets offended by far less than what Trump does.

Not really trying to compare the two. But what is wrong is wrong, justifying bad behavior because your opponent is a jerk, still makes you a jerk.

Not really trying to compare the two. But what is wrong is wrong, justifying bad behavior because your opponent is a jerk, still makes you a jerk.

So when the President of the United States calls Mexicans "rapists", says that Latin America isn't sending their best immigrants here (thus slamming current Hispanic immigrants), says all sorts of negative and graphic things about women, then liberals aren't allowed to respond in kind? Liberals are supposed to be the "adult in the room" and just ignore the attacks of the POTUS? And what I said above is barely scratching the surface of what Trump has said or tweeted about individual people or whole groups of people since early 2016. The impression I get from conservatives these days is that liberals just need to keep their mouths shut, while Trump and conservatives can say anything they want, in any way they want, about anyone or any group they want. Given human nature, that's not going to happen.

So when the President of the United States calls Mexicans "rapists", says that Latin America isn't sending their best immigrants here (thus slamming current Hispanic immigrants), says all sorts of negative and graphic things about women, then liberals aren't allowed to respond in kind? Liberals are supposed to be the "adult in the room" and just ignore the attacks of the POTUS? And what I said above is barely scratching the surface of what Trump has said or tweeted about individual people or whole groups of people since early 2016. The impression I get from conservatives these days is that liberals just need to keep their mouths shut, while Trump and conservatives can say anything they want, in any way they want, about anyone or any group they want. Given human nature, that's not going to happen.

Well said.

On the Sunday morning news programs today there was general consensus, even among many journalists, that Wolf had somehow "crossed the line" and "gone too far". Chris Christie went on and on about how undignified it was, and I honestly thought Frank Luntz was going to cry when he talked about how offensive and inappropriate her remarks were, and how there were children there to hear the profanity. Only Donna Brazile seemed to take it in stride, and pointed out to Luntz that Trump - the freaking POTUS - had said the same or worse in front of far larger numbers of children at his rallies. Luntz turned red, and blurted that Trump was the POTUS, but Wolf was just a comedian, and therefore should have been more dignified and appropriate in her remarks. I thought that made Luntz's argument look worse, not better, as he was basically saying that a comedian should be held to a higher standard than the POTUS (nobody mentioned that, unfortunately).

I think the reason so many otherwise liberal journalists joined in the criticism of Wolf was because of what you said - she not only poked fun at Trump and his associates, like Sanders, but she also criticized the news media for creating Trump in the first place. I'm sure that generated some real resentment among the reporters and media powers that be, mainly because it's true. I did like Brazile laughing at the end and quietly noting that "it made some people uncomfortable, that's for sure". It's amazing that anyone would attack a comedian for "crossing the line", when Trump has basically destroyed any such lines in modern politics. It goes back to the article I posted yesterday about conservatives feeling free to attack and insult liberals, but getting upset and seeing themselves as victims when liberals fire back.

So the media has learned nothing. They are still trying to demonstrate impartiality by criticizing both sides and they are still over-sensitive to criticism.

Meanwhile Maggie Haberman and Mika are defending Sara Huckabee Sanders' honor online, as if she doesn't go out and lie to the media and the public day after day. (And she would never do the same for them.)

I didn't think Wolf's monologue was any more biting than most of the, let's refer to them as the "post Colbert" WHCDs of the past few years. Hasan Minaj caused a similar outrage at the last event, especially by saying "not see Steve Bannon" repeatedly.

I agree, I figured it would be much harsher given the media outrage. She wasn't even as hard on media outlets as past comedians have been, but she called them out as a whole for obsessing over a few stories and for their role in creating Trump. (Which seems to be the thing they are most sensitive about.)

So much for sticks and stones. High school kids walk out to protest gun violence and they pitch a fit.

I thought Wolf could have cut the "knock it" abortion joke out and the bit about Pence still would have landed, as well as maybe dropping about 20% of the Sanders stuff, but I agree that it has been hilarious to read the conservative outrage about Wolf's performance. I think the reason that some of the jokes didn't have a raucous response from the crowd is that almost every joke was at least 90% true. But the thing that keeps getting missed is that the jokes weren't for the people in the room, they were for the millions of people that were going to see the outrage today and tune in and discover who Michelle Wolf was. She got 20 minutes to get her name out there and she did it in a way that called out all the things that (a) liberals have been dying for someone to say openly and (b) conservatives would get butthurt about.

MDMH probably loved the whole set.

I'm still looking for where SHSs' appearance was attacked. And I thing we found one of Haberman' s sources.

First, it's perfectly reasonable to have a different set of expectations for a comic vs a politician. Second, people aren't nearly as mad a Trump's cursing as they are at the bigotry and fondness for sexual assault that his words expressed. So, no, they aren't the same.

I thought Wolf could have cut the "knock it" abortion joke out and the bit about Pence still would have landed, as well as maybe dropping about 20% of the Sanders stuff, but I agree that it has been hilarious to read the conservative outrage about Wolf's performance. I think the reason that some of the jokes didn't have a raucous response from the crowd is that almost every joke was at least 90% true. But the thing that keeps getting missed is that the jokes weren't for the people in the room, they were for the millions of people that were going to see the outrage today and tune in and discover who Michelle Wolf was. She got 20 minutes to get her name out there and she did it in a way that called out all the things that (a) liberals have been dying for someone to say openly and (b) conservatives would get butthurt about.

MDMH probably loved the whole set.
The whole thing in my opinion was slightly uncomfortable, think she could have made the same jokes, and with better delivery they would have landed and not flopped. The Sanders stuff was so awkward because she wasn’t really telling jokes it was just kinda mean spirited in that persons face. If you hate her though you probably liked it, not because it was funny but because she had it coming.

The whole thing in my opinion was slightly uncomfortable, think she could have made the same jokes, and with better delivery they would have landed and not flopped. The Sanders stuff was so awkward because she wasn’t really telling jokes it was just kinda mean spirited in that persons face. If you hate her though you probably liked it, not because it was funny but because she had it coming.

I think 99% of the point of political comedy is to make people uncomfortable, so I think it's good that you were at least slightly uncomfortable. I thought most of the Sanders bit was fair, seeing as Trump skipped the whole event because he's fragile and Sanders was there to officially represent the White House. Obama and Bush both sat up there and took it, so Trump's proxy should have expected the same (and I'm sure Sanders did expect it). The WHCD comedian bit is essentially a roast, and as such there are going to be jokes that come across as mean-spirited. But I don't think anything Wolf said was beyond the pale to a degree that it should be considered offensive. Trump literally made fun of a disabled person and Sanders was one of many that dismissed it as Trump simply joking around. If the worst that Wolf did was make fun of Sanders lying and using the burnt ashes of the facts as eye shadow, we need to reexamine what is considered a joke and what is too far.

I do agree that Wolf's delivery sometimes left a little to be desired. But she came out of the gate with a purpose and never indicated at any point that she was going to play with kiddie gloves, which is why the criticism rings hollow to me.

I expected her to be over-the-top but agree there were times she went too far. She lost the audience (who was ready to be on her side) several times. after seeing her set, I really don't think she was ready for this gig.

I think 99% of the point of political comedy is to make people uncomfortable, so I think it's good that you were at least slightly uncomfortable. I thought most of the Sanders bit was fair, seeing as Trump skipped the whole event because he's fragile and Sanders was there to officially represent the White House. Obama and Bush both sat up there and took it, so Trump's proxy should have expected the same (and I'm sure Sanders did expect it). The WHCD comedian bit is essentially a roast, and as such there are going to be jokes that come across as mean-spirited. But I don't think anything Wolf said was beyond the pale to a degree that it should be considered offensive. Trump literally made fun of a disabled person and Sanders was one of many that dismissed it as Trump simply joking around. If the worst that Wolf did was make fun of Sanders lying and using the burnt ashes of the facts as eye shadow, we need to reexamine what is considered a joke and what is too far.

I do agree that Wolf's delivery sometimes left a little to be desired. But she came out of the gate with a purpose and never indicated at any point that she was going to play with kiddie gloves, which is why the criticism rings hollow to me.

It really says something about how "normalized" Trump's behavior is becoming that people (even including some liberals) are outraged over a comedian saying "nasty" things about Trump & Company, yet they increasingly just shrug their shoulders at the POTUS saying equally offensive (or worse) things about individuals or entire groups of people. Hell, while Wolf was angering the DC news media folks and Trump supporters, Trump himself was making fun of Hispanics at his rally, telling an audience "Are there any Hispanics here?" before going into his rant about building that border wall. Apparently, comedians are now held to higher standards than our Chief Executive and his subordinates. We're living in strange times.

Last edited:
It really says something about how "normalized" Trump's behavior is becoming that people (even including some liberals) are outraged over a comedian saying "nasty" things about Trump & Company, yet they increasingly just shrug their shoulders at the POTUS saying equally offensive (or worse) things about individuals or entire groups of people. Hell, while Wolf was angering the DC news media folks and Trump supporters, Trump himself was making fun of Hispanics at his rally, telling an audience "Are there any Hispanics here?" before going into his rant about building that border wall. Apparently, comedians are now held to higher standards than our Chief Executive and his subordinates. We're living in strange times.

TITCR

Trump has been lowering the standards for himself for 40 years.

Back