• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Ultimate Snowflakes

It really says something about how "normalized" Trump's behavior is becoming that people (even including some liberals) are outraged over a comedian saying "nasty" things about Trump & Company, yet they increasingly just shrug their shoulders at the POTUS saying equally offensive (or worse) things about individuals or entire groups of people. Hell, while Wolf was angering the DC news media folks and Trump supporters, Trump himself was making fun of Hispanics at his rally, telling an audience "Are there any Hispanics here?" before going into his rant about building that border wall. Apparently, comedians are now held to higher standards than our Chief Executive and his subordinates. We're living in strange times.

I'm not that outraged, but her material, timing and delivery were weak. She was overwhelmed by the stage and overcompensated.

I just watched her entire bit. It was mostly very funny, at least to me, and there was nothing I thought was out of bounds. But even if it was out of bounds, who gives a fuck. She’s a comedian. Her job is to be funny. The “anti PC” crybabies who think there’s a war on Christmas and get their feelings hurt all the time are my favorite type of hypocrit.

I'm not that outraged, but her material, timing and delivery were weak. She was overwhelmed by the stage and overcompensated.

I disagree. She knew what she wanted to say and she said it. If people laughed, great. That wasn’t her concern.

Critiquing her performance is fine. I'm talking about the news media types and Trumpites who are all in a tizzy because they feel her remarks were over the line, when Trump more or less stays across the line, and his supporters love him for it. It's the double standard that stands out to me.

I haven’t seen this performance but I’ve seen Wolf plenty of times. I wonder how much of the criticism is from people who saw her act and delivery style for the first time.

It’s becoming clearer and clearer that conservatives just think they’re better than everyone else. That’s why they can’t take a joke or criticism from Trump on down. Those of us who aren’t “real Americans” shouldn’t question them.

Actually, people laughing was her concern and her job.

Lots of people laughed, just not in that room. Not her fault that her target audience was the people at home.

Lots of people laughed at the dinner.

Of course, not every joke landed. And not for everyone.

I thought she did a great job reasonably roasting the right people in the right way, given what she had to work with.

The real problem is the truly despicable character of some of the folks she was tasked to roast. It’s tough to make friendly fun of folks who are worse in reality than you can make up. The usual humorous hyperbole or exaggeration is elusive.

So some of the jokes were, sadly, just too true.

Lots of people laughed at the dinner.

Of course, not every joke landed. And not for everyone.

I thought she did a great job reasonably roasting the right people in the right way, given what she had to work with.

The real problem is the truly despicable character of some of the folks she was tasked to roast. It’s tough to make friendly fun of folks who are worse in reality than you can make up. The usual humorous hyperbole or exaggeration is elusive.

So some of the jokes were, sadly, just too true.

It's a tough task to make fun of Republicans and the press. Both tend to lack a sense of humor, can't take a joke, and take themselves too seriously.

homer_June252014_funny.gif

It's exactly what I've said for years - there is no "anti-PC" or "PC movement" there are just people who want carte blanche to assholes who can't handle the heat in the kitchen when other people are assholes back.

I didn't like Wolf that much on the daily show, but she did really well on Saturday night. She might be the kind of comedian that need full latitude to be crass to really come into her own, and thats OK. The best part is that conservatives who are trashing her don't even seem to notice the potshots at the media. Always about them.

Off the top of my head, I loved the jokes about Roy Moore, the tree falling on Conway, CNN breaking news, Anderson Cooper/Mike Pence. She was very funny.

Only Republicans could have the gall to play the victim card for being roasted at a roast, and lack the self-awareness of playing that card with Trump as their President. It's fucking laughable, but so many people buy into it.

Only Republicans could have the gall to play the victim card for being roasted at a roast, and lack the self-awareness of playing that card with Trump as their President. It's fucking laughable, but so many people buy into it.

Meh, that was pretty unprecedented as far as white house correspondence dinner roasts go, if you would like to post similar examples please feel free. I also agree they should suck it up and stop being whiners though.

Back