• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

You have Asked & The Mirror has Answered....

Surely she wasn't hired based on merit, right? I'd pose that needless (and incorrect) message board speculation about the daughter of our university's larget benefactor isn't advisable.

yeah, recruits read these boards

Cuz we'll solve all those problems here in this forum? Can we focus on stuff that is germane to Ron Wellman's ineptitude?

We've been trying to solve those problems for years. Hasn't worked yet.

DG, you're making two arguments. First, nobody else we could hire could do the job better and second, this was the best job she could get. Either way, what's the point of working hard if it all comes down to who you know?

DG, you're making two arguments. First, nobody else we could hire could do the job better and second, this was the best job she could get. Either way, what's the point of working hard if it all comes down to who you know?

Well, maybe you need to spend more time affecting change rather than blather on a message board with your ideas to fix big systemic problems in the corporate world and organized society. ;-) But honestly, unless we're erecting a billboard, this msg board is hardly a vehicle or influential agent of change.

Ron Wellman's son will be the next basketball coach.

What a weird worldview you have. She displayed through her unpaid intern career at Wake that she was highly qualified for her postion and incredibly enthusiatic about Wake and our sucess. I'm sure she could have gotten a "better" job, like one at her father's former company perhaps? She wanted the one she has because it's her passion.

Last edited:
Yeah, weird thing to be arguing about.

There are situations where nepotism gets someone a job, the person sucks at that job, and are fired.

There are situations where nepotism gets someone a job and they suck, but are retained because the nepotism is too powerful.

There are situations where nepotism plays a part and the candidate is more than qualified, they thrive and ultimately the decision to hire that person made perfect sense.

I’m not saying that nepotism isn’t a problem at times, but in most situations, the result of the job the person does determines how the story ends.

were you and donaldross contemporaries at WF? I feel like he should chime in here regarding his self-made millions

check that - he shouldn't, but just might anyway

What a weird worldview you have. She displayed through her unpaid intern career at Wake that she was highly qualified for her postion and incredibly unthusiatic about Wake and our sucess. I'm sure she could have gotten a "better" job, like one at her father's former company perhaps? She wanted the one she has because it's her passion.

Love the autocorrect/mistype

PH and I have been friends for over 20 years. That’s my homie. Doesn’t mean we agree on everything.

I grew up in Poplar Bluff, Missouri. Showed up at Wake Forest in 1995 with $300 in my pocket I made out scout camp that summer. I knew not a single person in North Carolina. I’m quite proud of what I’ve done on my own and there’s not a damn thing wrong with that.

Nepotism has not a damn thing to do with why I want Miller. He is the rare one who has overcome the shackles that comes with growing up wealthy. He has the fire. We need the fire back at Wake.

Manning is gone immediately after our last game, and the buyout is not even remotely close to the rumors.

How immediately? I think Ron should be at the end of the handshake line to confiscate the keys to his office.

Manning is gone immediately after our last game, and the buyout is not even remotely close to the rumors.

I hope you are correct on your assertion about the buyout.

On the timing, I would expect the window when Danny might be let go to be the days between the end of the ACC tournament and the first Thursday of the NCAA tournament.

If Danny Manning is Wake's basketball HC on the Thursday of the NCAA tournament start, odds are very good he will be the head coach in fall 2019.

Still trying to figure out why we should hire friends and family and see if they can do the job instead of just hiring the best person for the job.

What a weird worldview you have. She displayed through her unpaid intern career at Wake that she was highly qualified for her postion and incredibly enthusiatic about Wake and our sucess. I'm sure she could have gotten a "better" job, like one at her father's former company perhaps? She wanted the one she has because it's her passion.

Not that many people would work for that crap pay and have access to all the contacts she has. She's also been around Wake sports for most of her life. Sounds like a rare great hire by Wake.

PH and I have been friends for over 20 years. That’s my homie. Doesn’t mean we agree on everything.

I grew up in Poplar Bluff, Missouri. Showed up at Wake Forest in 1995 with $300 in my pocket I made out scout camp that summer. I knew not a single person in North Carolina. I’m quite proud of what I’ve done on my own and there’s not a damn thing wrong with that.

Nepotism has not a damn thing to do with why I want Miller. He is the rare one who has overcome the shackles that comes with growing up wealthy. He has the fire. We need the fire back at Wake.

Respect

You seem like the type of guy that would make out with scouts.

really weird argument for a bunch of WF fans to have considering randolph childress

The smart fans realize the RC had no business being hired at Wake anyway. He was a pawn used by Wellman. A human shield forced onto two consecutive staffs of head coaches who were too much of a pushover to speak up and refuse.

So the infallible Jeff Goodman was apparently wrong with the unbelievable 18 million dollar buyout number he was floating around? How can that be?

It made no sense. I imagine the 3.6 million someone mentioned will be much closer to what Wake ends up paying.

And of course, this will have no impact on his future credibility because nobody cares. Don't believe everything you read in print.

So the infallible Jeff Goodman was apparently wrong with the unbelievable 18 million dollar buyout number he was floating around? How can that be?

It made no sense. I imagine the 3.6 million someone mentioned will be much closer to what Wake ends up paying.

And of course, this will have no impact on his future credibility because nobody cares. Don't believe everything you read in print.

We will never know that buyout. Doesn’t mean Goodman is wrong or right. I do tend to agree with you that 18m just seems completely unreasonable. My guess is that was the extension amount in total. But obviously a buyout after 2 years would be at most 12m and that would be paying the full amount which is unlikely. My completely non-insider guess would be our buyout is more like half of what he is owed on the contract.

But that would assume that Ron had some sense in the negotiations. It is rare that a school puts themselves in that risky of a position on a coaches first extension. That would be a move after a long string of success.

Back