• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

You have Asked & The Mirror has Answered....

Just think you are reading more into this particular opinion than is intended. If the last decade had not happened he would not really care. I don't think he cares much either way. He's pointing out a symptom rather than a major issue.

This is a symptom of a major issue in hiring.

Just think you are reading more into this particular opinion than is intended. If the last decade had not happened he would not really care. I don't think he cares much either way. He's pointing out a symptom rather than a major issue.

But it's a terrible example. Every company/school in the country would have hired Ms. Sutton. Those who didn't would love to find her. She is the easiest and most logical hire anyone can have.

I don't know that. I have not worked with her. Did not see her resume. Did not sit in on the interview. She may be a great hire of a known entity having paid her dues or a case of nepotism gone wrong.

His point, and mine i guess, is that in this athletic department under ronnie its easy to assume the worst. No offense to ms sutton intended.

Anybody want to explain to TheReff that a university is education and not the private sector?

Raising Deacon club dollars for a private institution absolutely is the private sector. I would hire her sight unseen for any of my businesses. Good lord her dad is a member at Augusta National. That generates action in sales plain and simple.

I don't know that. I have not worked with her. Did not see her resume. Did not sit in on the interview. She may be a great hire of a known entity having paid her dues or a case of nepotism gone wrong.

His point, and mine i guess, is that in this athletic department under ronnie its easy to assume the worst. No offense to ms sutton intended.

I'd believe it's your point. His was specific as copied.

She was an intern and apparently did well. She had been in the sports and media industry her entire life. Her contacts were everywhere. Not that many college grads would have taken such a low salary.

She seems like a dream hire. Hell, even DR and I agree on this one. That's gotta be something.

Ph, a few years ago when Elon Law opened I hired 4 of their grads. The Dean called me furious that I hadn’t hired any of their top 10 grads who were all without a job.

“This isn’t about merit sir. It’s about money. If you’ve been in this town 3 years and I haven’t met you, I’m not interested. I didn’t even ask for their grades. I want folks that can sell.”

Ph, a few years ago when Elon Law opened I hired 4 of their grads. The Dean called me furious that I hadn’t hired any of their top 10 grads who were all without a job.

“This isn’t about merit sir. It’s about money. If you’ve been in this town 3 years and I haven’t met you, I’m not interested. I didn’t even ask for their grades. I want folks that can sell.”

Translation: “These were the four grads that could keep up with an ambulance in our test drive.”

PH is biased against legacies. Our admissions office feels same way. Sad. Our biz loses as a result.

It’s strange that you’re a self made man biased toward people who get by on family connections.

The reason you hire someone you know as opposed to one of "everybody else" is that hiring an unknown carries greater risk.

If you know someone and you know they are qualified, it would be foolish to hire a complete unknown.

You have Asked & The Mirror has Answered....

So how do “unknown” people get hired?

How are there opportunities for “unknown” people to get jobs and rise up the ladder?

I assume you’re firmly in the Wes camp instead of Matta or Oats?

You show the hell up every day with hustle and smarts and become known in whatever industry it is.

Wes hasn’t “gotten by” on anything. He’s over achiever in all facets of life. Anyone hanging out in the Joel during the 90s and paying attention knew he had that hustle to deserve a chance. Ernie saw the same thing I did watching him as a kid and then as a walk on at Carolina. He was hungry and deserved a shot as an assistant at lowly Elon. He’s earned his way up from. The concept that Ken would have anything to do with him getting the Wake job is silly. If anything, he has less of a chance because folks “might” say things like you are saying.

Show up where? McDonalds? If people in your industries are only hiring people they know, how do other people get in the door?

Show up where? McDonalds? If people in your industries are only hiring people they know, how do other people get in the door?

You meet people. I’ve hired dozens of folks. I knew none of them in 1995. Force your way in socially and prove your worth. This is America in 2019. The reality is if you want to become widely successful in whatever area you want, you can. America is great—and was even before Trump came along.

They work hard and look for opportunities everywhere, putting themselves in position to find opportunities

example: college student majors in industry in which he knows no one. works hard on the side, tutoring high school kids. who pays for a tutor for their high-schooler? generally, a successful professional. Parent of tutee is in field in which college student is majoring. College student excels as tutor, and now has a contact within chosen industry

and by the way, there is no industry in which the ONLY people hired are people that know people; those top law students that Drew didn't hire are working somewhere

Last edited:
Every time we hire someone who’s not at least a friend of a friend they turn out to be an incompetent weirdo.

Back