• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

You have Asked & The Mirror has Answered....

Yeah. That’s the problem.

How would you suggest one fix that problem? In the corporate world these hiring practices are common but they are already limited by diversity goals/requirements and the like. It is easy to prohibit people from hiring family, if you decide that is a good idea - hiring through connections is more difficult to identify and prevent.

ONLY PH could find fault in somebody recommending another person for job. As usual he gets things BACKWARDS to make himself look good. After years of covering his back, his blatant LIES and duplicity are FINALLY catching up to him.

I think his classic lie, "I've never been wrong in any discussion I had with RJ" may have been the funniest and most pathetic post ever made. Sad.

I get that nepotism is a problem overall, but hiring a family member, friend or close contact that's qualified for the job doesn't automatically invalidate their position because of perceived nepotism. Again, if Wake were winning and Manning's kid were on the staff...honestly, would you care?

really weird argument for a bunch of WF fans to have considering randolph childress

I get that nepotism is a problem overall, but hiring a family member, friend or close contact that's qualified for the job doesn't automatically invalidate their position because of perceived nepotism. Again, if Wake were winning and Manning's kid were on the staff...honestly, would you care?

We were winning when Odom wanted to bring his son on the staff. I'm glad he wasn't allowed to do so.

I see a distinction between:

a) hiring the family members of people who are in decision making positions working above them (e.g., Manning's kid on his staff or Bob Knight's kid on his staff) that creates inherent conflicts of interest in the treatment and evaluation of both the relative working for his/her parent and the other employees in similar positions, and

b) hiring a relative or friend of anyone with any connection to the institution regardless if the friend or relative is the supervisor.

Pushed to its logical extreme, WF should never hire any relative or close friend of an alum or employee or donor. That seems extreme and unduly restrictive and actually prevents hiring qualified people with a connection to the school.

Last edited:
I see a distinction between:

a) hiring the family members of people who are in decision making positions working above them (e.g., Manning's kid on his staff or Bob Knight's kid on his staff) that creates inherent conflicts of interest in the treatment and evaluation of both the relative working for his/her parent and the other employees in that position, and

b) hiring a relative or friend of anyone with any connection to the institution regardless if the friend or relative is the supervisor.

Pushed to its logical extreme, WF should never hire any relative or close friend of an alum or employee or donor. That seems extreme and unduly restrictive and actually prevents hiring qualified people with a connection to the school.

Fair distinction. But given Wake’s small community, there’s a strong case that hiring the daughter of a big donor is closer to A than B. The big issue is how uncomfortable it could be to fire an underperforming employee and risk losing big dollars as well as putting the Peter Principle in action if the employee is simply competent.

True, but I am not convinced this BOT is ready to can Wellman or pressure him into letting Manning go. I'd put it at 50% or higher that Manning returns, whereas in non-academia, he is already gone.

This seems like the best case scenario, but who's ponying up for that ridiculous buyout? God help us if it isn't a guaranteed INCENTIVE-LADEN long-term deal.

Fair distinction. But given Wake’s small community, there’s a strong case that hiring the daughter of a big donor is closer to A than B. The big issue is how uncomfortable it could be to fire an underperforming employee and risk losing big dollars as well as putting the Peter Principle in action if the employee is simply competent.

Valid concern, but that's just the way every institution works, and the way the world works. Someone with a connection to and/or influence with an organization recommends that the organization give a friend, colleague or relative a shot. At that point, it's up to the new hire to prove their worth. There is always a risk that a bad rec could damage the relationship between the organization and the person with influence, but there is always the upside that the rec works out and the relationship is strengthened and everyone benefits.

Yes. Nepotism is a major problem and a gross mismanagement of human capital that results in discrimination by race, class, and other factors.

Life isn't always fair...even for those not in a class that has historically suffered the slings of discrimination.

Valid concern, but that's just the way every institution works, and the way the world works. Someone with a connection to and/or influence with an organization recommends that the organization give a friend, colleague or relative a shot. At that point, it's up to the new hire to prove their worth. There is always a risk that a bad rec could damage the relationship between the organization and the person with influence, but there is always the upside that the rec works out and the relationship is strengthened and everyone benefits.

Sure. That is the way institutions work and I'm offering a critique of institutions.

Surely she wasn't hired based on merit, right? I'd pose that needless (and incorrect) message board speculation about the daughter of our university's larget benefactor isn't advisable.

Back