• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Even more everyday racial discrimination!

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
May as well make this an going thread. Today's incident.
[h=1]A mom on a college tour called the cops on two Native American teens because they made her 'nervous'[/h]
(CNN)For the two Native American brothers, Colorado State University was their dream school.

But when they showed up for a campus tour, a parent of another prospective student called the police on them because they apparently made her "nervous," the school said.

Critics are holding up the incident as just the latest example of racial profiling. In the past few days, two African American men were arrested for sitting in a Philadelphia Starbucks; a group of African American women had the cops called on them at a golf course for playing too slow; and a gym was forced to apologize after a member felt he was racially profiled and asked to leave.
"This incident is sad and frustrating from nearly every angle, particularly the experience of two students who were here to see if this was a good fit for them as an institution," school officials said.

[h=3]They arrived a little late for the tour[/h]
The teens saved their own money to take the family's only car and drive 7 hours from New Mexico to Fort Collins, Colorado, to visit the campus Monday, their mother told reporters with CNN affiliates KOAT and KRQE.
"This was their dream school, and I wanted to give them that opportunity," the mother, Lorraine Kahneratokwas Gray, said.
By the time they showed up, the tour had already begun.
"A parent participating in the tour called campus police because she was nervous about the presence of two young men who joined the tour while it was in progress," the school said.
Officers responded and pulled the young men aside while the tour continued on ahead without them.
When the police confirmed the brothers were part of the tour, they let them rejoin the group. But by that time, the tour had moved on, the school said.
"It breaks my heart, because they didn't do anything to warrant that," Gray told the affiliate. "They're walking on their own ancestors' land, so it breaks my heart."

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook in response to the article:

This article shook something in me today. It's probably a "last straw" reaction after having read about the young men at that Starbucks in Philly, and the young woman damn near stripped naked at that Waffle House in Alabama, and the young man trying to move into his apartment in NYC. But I have to vent a little bit, so bear with me...

Over the years, I've lost track of the number of times white people have openly demonstrated their discomfort at being in close proximity to me. Shopping malls, restaurants, elevators, sidewalks...you name it... I've experienced it. When I was much younger, it used to bother me. Eventually, I grew to find it sadly amusing. Lately, though, I must admit I've grown fearful of what could happen if I were to ever encounter the wrong person, who calls the wrong 911 dispatcher, who calls the wrong police officer, who shows up armed with the wrong information and has the wrong perception about who I am, what I'm doing and whether HIS life is in danger.

John Crawford was killed walking through Walmart on his cell phone while holding a display model bb gun that he took off Walmart's own shelf...because a white person called 911 and told them that a black man was in Walmart threatening people with a rifle. The cops swarmed in before he knew what was happening and shot him before he even had a chance to say the words "it's just a toy."

Jonathan Ferrell was killed after knocking on the doors of homes seeking medical aid after being injured in a car crash. One of the homes from which he sought help was occupied by a white woman who called 911 to report that a large black man was trying to break into her home. A dozen cops showed up, and one of them shot and killed him before he could explain that he was injured and in need of medical attention.

These are just 2 examples of literally dozens of black men and women killed in the last several years for no reason other than an unreasonable fear of being in close proximity to a black person. Truthfully, my heart is still broken over the death of John Crawford and Jonathan Ferrell, in particular, because I know I could be in either of those circumstances at any time. The realization that despite all my education, status (what little I have), wit and charm (yeah, I said it), if a complete stranger feels uncomfortable being near me, my life could be forever altered or ended. And I will live with that reality...every day...until the end of my days.

The smile you regularly see on my face. The joy in my heart. The love I have for all people... exists IN SPITE of the intermittent terror I feel living as a black man in America. And I can assure you that virtually every black person you know carries that same burden. We see, hear, and endure more than you will ever understand just by being in YOUR presence. It's heavy...and exhausting! But we survive, live, thrive... and LOVE nevertheless.

This is not a post intended to bash white people. I wouldn't dream of it. I just wanted to offer just a little insight into the lives of the people you THINK you know... in the hope that you will understand a little better. And that maybe you'll speak up if and when you find yourselves on circumstances like the ones that have garnered headlines in recent days and weeks.

Sincerely,

Your black friend,

[his name]

http://gothamist.com/2018/05/04/lirr_racist_rider_video.phpA Long Island Rail Road passenger is asking the MTA to find a man who was screaming racist remarks at other riders last month. The woman who filmed the incident shared it on Facebook, writing, "Hey MTA LIRR, this man terrorizes your minority train riders on the 9:53PM Penn to Long Beach. I spoke with a friend who had a similar experience with the same man. This went on for more than ten minutes until he finally went to another train car."

The incident occurred on April 19th. (Warning: the video below is vulgar and racist.)

The witness who filmed the tirade explained:
*LET ME BE CLEAR ABOUT WHAT PROMPTED THESE NASTY REMARKS* An African American woman was behind him speaking on the phone (not loudly in my opinion as I was sitting only diagonally from him and could not hear her). He started off my mumbling under his breath and then escalated to yelling at her about being a loud mouth b!tch. When another young woman, also black, stood up for her, he continued to yell and then call them Monkeys.
What this video does not show - him getting up to get in the young women's face to scream at her more. It was honestly so disgusting to witness.
Say what you want in regards to "both" sides being ignorant and needing to be quiet. Have someone start yelling profanities at you for being 'loud' and see how you react.
A spokesperson for the LIRR said, "This language is offensive, completely inappropriate, and has no place in our society, let alone on the Long Island Rail Road. We are actively investigating this report."

[h=1]Israeli diplomat kicked out of Uber after speaking Hebrew: 'Can't believe this is happening in America'[/h]
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-israeli-diplomat-uber-20180504-story.html

It was about 6 p.m. and raining when, Milner says, he was kicked out of the Uber on East Lower Wacker Drive near North Michigan Avenue, he said.

“I was just thrown out of an #uber in the middle of the highway only because I answered my phone in my mother” tongue, Milner wrote in his initial Facebook post, which had garnered more than 1,300 shares by Friday.

In the Facebook post he goes on to state, “10 minutes into my ride and with no prior interaction between the driver and myself, it took only two words in Hebrew to get my driver (to) start yelling at me.”

That’s the video of the incident I posted above.

More info on the woman who called the cops on the two Native American guys on the campus tour.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...an-teens-tour-experience-offers-reimbursement

————-
Denver7 obtained the 911 call made to dispatch and the police report for the incident from CSU Police Friday afternoon.

The woman who called dispatch said the teens’ “behavior is just really odd” and complained that the teens “won’t give their names.”

“And when I ask them what they are wanting to study, like everything they are saying…they were lying the whole time,” the woman says. “I could tell they were making stuff up because one was starting to laugh about it.”

She said further that the teens “really stand out” and said their clothing had “dark stuff” and “weird symbolism on it.” She was also concerned, according to the call, that one of the teens “has his left hand in an oversized sweatshirt the whole time.”

She said she thought they were Hispanic, and said: “One of them, for sure, he said he’s from Mexico.”

But she also said in the call that she felt “ridiculous” calling police.

“It’s probably nothing. I’m probably being completely paranoid, with just everything that’s happened,” the woman said. “I feel completely ridiculous. It’s probably fine; they’re just creepy kids....If it’s nothing, I’m sorry, but it actually made me feel sick, and I’ve never felt like that before.”

—————

Read the officer’s report. He basically told the boys they should have just done what the nice white lady said. Ridiculous for a cop to compel a child to talk to a stranger under the threat the stranger will call the cops on them.

“I explained to both subjects that if they had simply cooperated and given their names when asked and their situation about being late, that no one would have found them to be suspicious,” the officer wrote.

So teenage boys were acting like teenage boys and it freaked out parents, who thought they were Mexican.

It also sounds like they could have cleared up their fears by talking to the tour leader.

But during a news conference Thursday in Española, mother Lorraine Gray said the boys were too shy to introduce themselves to the 15-person tour group. Instead, Thomas, a freshman at Northern New Mexico College, said he had introduced himself and Lloyd to the tour guide.

Earlier this week, in an apology message the tour guide sent to Lorraine Gray, she said that the brothers weren’t acting suspicious and that she saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Link

Sounds like they were late for the tour and quietly joined and the white lady freaked out and knew she shouldn't have been.

Last edited:
This thread should be locked. Conservatives don’t like to be reminded about this shit.

Well, she thought they were Mexican. From Mexico.

Our f’ing president, the leader of the free world, has repeatedly disparaged folks from Mexico as dangerous.

What’s a poor rube to do?

Back