• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Even more everyday racial discrimination!

Figure 10 uses ACS data to show that seven of Ohio’s eight largest cities have unemployment rates that are substantially higher than 120 percent of the U.S. unemployment rate. Further, each of these seven cities have unemployment rates that are higher than nearly all of the 26 counties now exempt from SNAP work requirements as of 2017. These seven cities (Akron, Canton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo and Youngstown) contain 40 percent of Ohio’s African-American population, and more than half of Ohio’s African-Americans who live in poverty. However, because Ohio bases its SNAP work requirement exemptions on unemployment rates at the county level, rather than the city level, only one of these cities (Youngstown/Mahoning County) is exempt. None were exempt prior to 2017. When looking at African- American unemployment alone, each of these seven cities have African-American unemployment rates that are significantly higher than 120 percent of the overall U.S. unemployment rate (8.3 percent), with a median rate of 20 percent.

SNAP-Graph-10.png

so blatant

Has someone called the cops on you when you were doing nothing wrong? Email your story or video to The New York Times Opinion Video team at 844WYTFEAR@nytimes.com.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/22/opinion/calling-police-racism-wyt-fear.html

Below is a list of 39 known instances just this year when someone called the police to complain about black people doing everyday activities:

[h=3]October 2018 [/h]North Charleston, S.C. When members of an anti-violence march stopped by a gas station to buy drinks. (The Charleston City Paper)
Ponte Vedra, Fla. When a father yelled at his son at a soccer game. (First Coast News)
Brooklyn After a boy’s book bag hit a woman’s backside at a store. (The New York Times)
Marietta, Ga. When a man was babysitting two white children. (CBS46)

[h=3]September 2018[/h]Boston When a woman filed a complaint about damaged bags after a flight. (The Charlotte Observer)

Dane County, Wis. When a statehouse candidate was canvassing a neighborhood. (The New York Times)

Amherst, Mass. When a university employee looked upset while walking across campus. (Associated Press)

[h=3]August 2018[/h]Milwaukee When a man was trying to get change from his car. (WISN12)
Brooklyn When a woman tried to avoid the rain by standing on a stoop. (NBC4)
[h=3]July 2018[/h]Northampton, Mass. When a student was eating on campus. (The Boston Globe)
Mountain View, Calif. When a woman donated food to the homeless. (KPIX5)
Victoria Park, Fla. When a woman attempted to cash a checkat a bank. (Miami New Times)
Buffalo When a woman attempted to use several coupons at a dollar store. (The Buffalo News)
San Francisco When a man was checking the alarm at his own store. (KCBS Radio)
Sterling, Va. When a player at a pickup game of basketball fouled too hard. (FOX5)
Chicago When a woman attempted to use a coupon at a pharmacy. (The New York Times)
Atlanta When a college student was canvassing for a congressional candidate. (CBS46)
Upper Arlington, Ohio When an 11-year-old was delivering newspapers. (Newsweek)
Winston-Salem, N.C. When a woman using her residential community’s poolrefused to show her ID. (The Winston-Salem Journal)
Memphis When a man refused to remove his socks at a pool. (The New York Times)
Clackamas, Ore. When a state representative was out campaigning. (The Oregonian)

Wellington Manor, Ga. When a woman smoked a cigarette in a parking lot. (The Root)
Coweta County, Ga. When a family of seven was eating dinner at a Subway. (WSBTV)
[h=3]June 2018[/h]Cleveland When a 12-year-old was mowing the lawn. (News5)
Philadelphia When a family tried to leave a movie theater. (The Root)
San Francisco When an 8-year-old sold water outside her apartment building without a permit. (The New York Times)
Orange Village, Ohio When sorority sisters were paying their bill at a restaurant. (USA Today)
Oakland, Calif. When a uniformed firefighter was clearing flammable objects from brush. (The San Francisco Chronicle)
Collierville, Tenn. Whena woman was browsing at a store. (WREG3)
[h=3]May 2018[/h]Birmingham, Ala. When a man attempted to make a return at a crafts store. (ABC News)
Memphis When a real estate investor was inspecting a property. (The Telegraph)
Brooklyn When a woman was shopping at a vintage store with her daughter. (ABC7)
Tacoma, Wash. When two women were shopping at a store. (The Root)
New Haven When a student was napping in a Yale common room. (Time)

Rialto, Calif. When three friends were checking out of an Airbnb. (CNN)
Brentwood, Mo. When three teenagers went shopping for prom. (KMOV4)
[h=3]April 2018[/h]New York When a former Obama aide was moving into his new apartment. (PIX11)
Oakland, Calif. When three men were barbecuing at a park. (KRON4)
Raleigh-Durham, N.C. When a plane passenger felt uncomfortable about the woman in the next seat. (The Charlotte Observer)
York, Pa. When a group of women were playing golf. (The York Daily Record)
Philadelphia When two men attempted to use the restroom at a coffee shop. (NPR)

Random question regarding the Megyn Kelly "blackface" scandal: would it be racist if a little white kid painted his/her face to dress up as their favorite black athlete that they idolize? Obviously, kids or adults donning blackface to represent generic thugs, criminals, etc. is completely inappropriate/racist and should not be tolerated.

Not defending Kelly's comments at all, as they were beyond dumb, but they made me think. In the age of PC, I think that little kid and his/her parents would likely end up the subject of outrage.

Racial discrimination strikes again as it forced Andrew Gillum to accept a gift from an undercover FBI agent, lie about it, and then double down by blaming racism.

Racial discrimination strikes again as it forced Andrew Gillum to accept a gift from an undercover FBI agent, lie about it, and then double down by blaming racism.

Fixed it for you. Is it hard going through life as stupid as you are or have you learned to cope?

Edited to add more information about the patently false allegation raised in that tweet:

https://www.politifact.com/florida/...hecking-attack-andrew-gillums-ties-fbi-inves/

There is a federal probe of the city Gillum runs. Details about it are scarce, but you wouldn’t know it from the ad. Far from "running from the FBI," Gillum met with the bureau at his home, without a lawyer, which is essentially the opposite of running from the FBI.

The Tallahassee Democrat broke the story about the investigation on June 22, 2017. The next day, Gillum said he had already met with the FBI, and that the FBI told him he was not the focus of the investigation.

"Last week, the FBI approached me about several people and businesses here in Tallahassee," Gillum said in a statement. "I spoke with them and told them they could expect both the city and my personal cooperation with the investigation. They assured me I was not the focus of an investigation and that they would be moving quickly with their work."

Gillum met with the FBI without a lawyer present. Barry Richard, Gillum’s attorney for a related state ethics commission complaint, told PolitiFact that the FBI has not asked for any subsequent meeting with Gillum or any documents from him.

"There is no FBI probe of Gillum," Richard said. "The only connection is the FBI asked him some questions in his home and told him he wasn’t the focus."

Last edited:
Why the need to paint the face? Put on the jersey and be done.

This times infinity. If I want to go as Lebron for Halloween, I don't feel like I'd need to do blackface to sell the costume. No one in the world is going to be like, "Well I wasn't sure who your costume was supposed to be, but when you applied the blackface, it became super obvious you were Lebron."

What has been proven???

Oh yeah, nothing or he'd be in jail.

Racial discrimination strikes again as it forced Andrew Gillum to accept a gift from an undercover FBI agent, lie ,about it, and then double down by blaming racism.

There's nothing better than a fucking white supremacist piece of shit calling a black guy running against a white dude who talked about "monkeying up" the election, and who is being falsely smeared about an FBI probe and in robocalls by DeSantis's white supremacist suppporters and donors, a "racist fuckstick". You are, truly, a republican.

Last edited:
Why the need to paint the face? Put on the jersey and be done.

Certainly agree. I did not blackface (brownface?) myself as a kid dressed as Barry Sanders, but I can see where little kids would want to do it to look as close to one of their idols as possible, in a very innocent way. Probably up to the parents to not allow it. Just a random hypothetical musing, basically.

So not taking free Hamilton tickets seems like a really high standard especially compared to all forms of Republican grift that they’ve spent decades normalizing.

Back