• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Even more everyday racial discrimination!

Too bad the voting got shut down. I'd love to vote and give any encouragement possible to young women who want to work in science.

I would have, too. That is a genius idea on its merits, and they need all the encouragement possible. I hope they share/sell their invention with VT and Flint, Michigan (VT is actively working the Flint water issue).

about to have the third in two years "african american man's car searched w/ K9 unit and two officers for two hours" in our office's parking lot

last time it was a guy and his 5 yr old kid sitting on the parking lot asphalt in the sun while the ransacked the car and let a huge german shepherd walk around inside the Civic for about 20 min

[h=3]Nordstrom Rack president apologizes to 3 black teens wrongly accused of theft[/h]
http://www.kmov.com/story/38133326/...-men-wrongly-accused-of-theft?ftag=MSFd61514f

Mekhi Lee, Dirone Taylor and Eric Rogers II were all shopping for prom clothes at Nordstrom Rack when they started noticing several of the employees watching them and following them around the store.

"I was nervous the whole time," said Lee, "Every time we move, they move. when we looked up, they looked up."

After all three left the store they were surrounded by Brentwood Police in the parking lot. Police told them the store had accused them of theft. After an investigation on the spot, police let the three go without charges.

"The police were actually good. They understood where we were coming from and they showed us that they were just doing their job," said Rogers.

--------------------

Getting followed in stores is just commonplace for black teen boys.

Say it ain't so. I was on the search committee that recommended Larry.

Headline: "A hotel clerk was caught on video calling a black customer a monkey. He’s been fired."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...monkey-hes-been-fired/?utm_term=.094ba9030f93

To me, the most surprising part of the article is regarding the racee (whatever you call the recipient of the racist behavior) with "He said the experience was his first brush with racism. 'I could not believe it. I could not believe it. It’s 2018. I have two biracial kids. Race is not a thing to me,' said Fogleman, who has two sons, a 2-year-old and a 4-month-old, with Cunningham, who is white." 36 years old in a biracial marriage and he's never experienced racism before? I just don't buy it.

Trying to understand this.

Here’s the song that was playing

And an article by Moneta that’s linked to in the indyweek piece.

And a link to a tweet where Moneta seems to oppose free speech restrictions.

Seems unclear who really decided the employees should be fired. Definitely an unjust overreaction from what information is available. I suspect further statements/clarification may be forthcoming. And hopefully apologies and an offer to restore the jobs.

Headline: "A hotel clerk was caught on video calling a black customer a monkey. He’s been fired."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...monkey-hes-been-fired/?utm_term=.094ba9030f93

To me, the most surprising part of the article is regarding the racee (whatever you call the recipient of the racist behavior) with "He said the experience was his first brush with racism. 'I could not believe it. I could not believe it. It’s 2018. I have two biracial kids. Race is not a thing to me,' said Fogleman, who has two sons, a 2-year-old and a 4-month-old, with Cunningham, who is white." 36 years old in a biracial marriage and he's never experienced racism before? I just don't buy it.

I'd say most if not all of us have had a less than positive experience with someone of another race at some point (if not you need to get out more) including this guy, but doesn't mean it has to rise to the level of a "panties in a wad" deal that you allow to define your every day existence.

Say it ain't so. I was on the search committee that recommended Larry.

I'm honestly trying to understand the outrage over this one. Is anyone taking the position that it was appropriate to play that song (I'm assuming unedited) in a public coffee shop?

No. I don’t think anybody is claiming that.

No. I don’t think anybody is claiming that.

OK, so while his decision to get someone fired over playing that song may be a tremendous overreaction to what might just have been a single lapse in judgment - where's the racial discrimination?

OK, so while his decision to get someone fired over playing that song may be a tremendous overreaction to what might just have been a single lapse in judgment - where's the racial discrimination?

Seriously?

My perspective is that the contract worker who had put in 18 months with no previous record of workplace misconduct is fired after apologizing for a single mistake; a mistake enabled by the apparent lack of policy surrounding music at the coffee shop ("play what's cool"). She played what she thought was cool - the music she enjoyed - and suffered for it.

I don't agree the song was appropriate, but I can see why the lapse in judgement might take place. Why do you think the "tremendous overreaction" took place?

Last edited:
Back